Giant Bomb: Shenmue Endurance Run (Ongoing)

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Giant Bomb: Shenmue Endurance Run (Ongoing)

Postby Gavan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:30 am

DoubleO_Ren wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: I didn't criticize his defeat but he always tried the same move by smashing the same button. Gosh, may YSNet do not come across a video like that. They could think Vinny is a standard player.

So er do you think Shenmue 3 will have way points prompts and linear gameplay because of these clowns like GB and Fahunas or whatever their called.

Part 20 was pretty funny I enjoyed watching it, seems like they are finally warming up to the game.

I skipped most of the episodes after that stupid one where they just started singing instead of playing the game. #-o But episodes 20 and 21 did seem to be a bit better again. They even admitted that they are actually liking the game more now.
Gavan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Alex is full of shit about the fighting. I think he's being negative for the sake of it.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Gavan
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:01 pm

I really hope they play Shenmue 2 now.
It's got less of what they hated and more of what they liked... Just hope someone tells them to shut the hell up in cutscenes... Seriously disrespectful to their viewers.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:27 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: I really hope they play Shenmue 2 now.
It's got less of what they hated and more of what they liked... Just hope someone tells them to shut the hell up in cutscenes... Seriously disrespectful to their viewers.

That'll probably not happen if they do II. There's a common theme in GB videos where they talk through stuff then are like "wait what's happening this makes no sense".
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gavan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:39 pm

The last episode was pretty entertaining. Didn't like most of this playthrough but the last couple of episodes were fun. Even though these guys can be annoying at times I am still curious to see what they would think of Shenmue 2.
Gavan

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:43 am

I liked that playthrough a lot. They may not respect the game as they should but they're more passionate than plenty of youtubers I watched on the same game. I was impressed by the Vinny's skill improvements and he even ended his final boss battle by the Master Chen's move, wow.

I don't want a Shenmue II playthrough though. Showing Shenmue I to people was enough. I find particularly idiotic to watch a full playthrough when you never played the said game before. Disc 3 is really something you need to achieve by yourself to enjoy it.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:30 pm

Yokosuka wrote: I liked that playthrough a lot. They may not respect the game as they should but they're more passionate than plenty of youtubers I watched on the same game. I was impressed by the Vinny's skill improvements and he even ended his final boss battle by the Master Chen's move, wow.

I don't want a Shenmue II playthrough though. Showing Shenmue I to people was enough. I find particularly idiotic to watch a full playthrough when you never played the said game before. Disc 3 is really something you need to achieve by yourself to enjoy it.

I don't think your average Giant Bomb fan would want to play more Shenmue after they showed the first game in an awful light...If that was my first experience with the game I wouldn't want to touch Shenmue 2 either.

The least they could do is show their audience how much better Shenmue 2 is.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:57 pm

Shenmue 2 is a way better game as a whole but isn't so different than Shenmue 1. Their both structure are the same and are likely to annoy those who were underwhelmed by the first episode: talking to limited-speech NPCs, QTEs, aging visuals, poor interactivity, odd story points. Not to mention the terrible dub if they choose the Xbox version.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Shenmue 2 is a way better game as a whole but isn't so different than Shenmue 1. Their both structure are the same and are likely to annoy those who were underwhelmed by the first episode: talking to limited-speech NPCs, QTEs, aging visuals, poor interactivity, odd story points. Not to mention the terrible dub if they choose the Xbox version.

I feel what they hated most was waiting around... And how chill and non-eventful the first half of the game was. Shenmue 2 should be up their alley then, since it has faster pace and you can skip time.

They seemed to enjoy the dub though, made for some funny moments which is probably what they want to get out of those endurance runs.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Shenmue 2 is a way better game as a whole but isn't so different than Shenmue 1. Their both structure are the same and are likely to annoy those who were underwhelmed by the first episode: talking to limited-speech NPCs, QTEs, aging visuals, poor interactivity, odd story points. Not to mention the terrible dub if they choose the Xbox version.

Not always true. I know someone who hates 1 but thinks 2 is one of the best games of all time.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Gavan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
I feel what they hated most was waiting around... And how chill and non-eventful the first half of the game was. Shenmue 2 should be up their alley then, since it has faster pace and you can skip time.

They seemed to enjoy the dub though, made for some funny moments which is probably what they want to get out of those endurance runs.

Yeah I think they will like part 2 at least somewhat more than 1. What they hated the most was the waiting around with "nothing to do". Although they also seemed to hate the "talking to people" aspect of the gameplay which of course is still a big part of Shenmue 2.
Gavan

Postby sand4fish » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:05 pm

This playthrough is a clear example of how spoiled we've become as gamers. In a passive stance, we just expect action to happen from the get-go nonstop (who needs pacing after all?) with minimum effort from the player to seek out for it. Shenmue clearly takes exploration as its main mechanics, and yet most don't bother with it (as it is seen on the videos with the Hazuki residence). The wait time between points A and B is an intended game design to force players to explore more of its world, but still most choose to hang around the same familiar locations and talk to the same npcs (and call out the game a boredom). What a different experience would they have if they were a bit more thorough, as the game would reward the player with more of what he wants, that being action! (ie saving Nozomi from bullies, fighting goons in the hill above Game You, learning a new skill from an old man in the park). Also worth mentioning that we just don't look forward to learn the controls anymore because it's universally accepted that it is supposed to be shown to us (with onscreen arrows, buttons and visual demo) during the main campaign, even though this might break the bit of immersion and surprise we might have with the game.
Aside from all these the most amusing fact is that though Shenmue's world is pretty small, a lot of people tend to so easily get lost or forget previously visited places. I often hear about how Shenmue should have implemented an onscreen map like it was done in the second game, despite the fact that your avatar is supposed to be somewhat familiar with his own neighborhood. No wonder a lot of people liked Shenmue 2 better, as exploration could be axed almost completely (by having npcs just take you straight to your intended location) and just be fed straight to the action segments.
All being said, this playthrough was very entertaining in an ADHD kind of way.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:41 pm

I play Shenmue II without using maps and there's nothing wrong with people showing you where things are. You still have to seek out things in II and find information. I agree with everything else.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:21 pm

Himuro wrote: I play Shenmue II without using maps and there's nothing wrong with people showing you where things are. You still have to seek out things in II and find information. I agree with everything else.

There is definitely nothing wrong with npcs giving out directions. I was only emphasizing on the little concessions Shenmue II had to go through in order to accommodate to a more general gaming demographic.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:34 pm

sand4fish wrote:
Himuro wrote: I play Shenmue II without using maps and there's nothing wrong with people showing you where things are. You still have to seek out things in II and find information. I agree with everything else.

There is definitely nothing wrong with npcs giving out directions. I was only emphasizing on the little concessions Shenmue II had to go through in order to accommodate to a more general gaming demographic.

There's also the fact they're different games. In Shenmue 1 you live in Ryo's hometown. The people have no reason to show you around because they assume you already know where they are. In Shenmue II, people are more helpful because Ryo's in a foreign land and needs a bit of help. It's pretty clear that these gameplay concession you say that are made to accommodate a more general gaming demographic could very well instead be concessions due to the change in locale. In Shenmue II npcs give more thorough directions for this reason as well. I think reducing Shenmue II's design choices to solely being more approachable for a general audience is a bit presumptuous. Though I will say that was definitely the purpose of the wait feature.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue