Translation analysis: "It can't be... you... ?"

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Translation analysis: "It can't be... you... ?"

Postby Switch » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:24 am

I've written a small post about an extremely subtle translation point taken from the opening cut-scene of Shenmue.
It looks at why Iwao's reply to the above words from Lan Di would be closer to the original Japanese meaning as this:

Not a big difference really, but looking at the Japanese helps to clarify the intended nuance behind his words.

Analysis here:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/1 ... e-you.html

Switch has received 3 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, Mr357, NeoShredder
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Translation analysis: "It can't be... you... ?"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:11 pm

Interesting. So maybe Iwao was not even 100% sure who Lan Di is. Well, the letter in Iwao's bedroom which is sort of a farewell letter to Ryo at least seems to imply Iwao knew his life was in danger and he might die soon. So Iwao at least had a hunch that someone would come for him.

We know Zhu tried to warn Iwao about someone coming to "pursue the mirror(s)" but his letter didn't arrive in time. Who else could have warned Iwao before[ Lan Di came? And more importantly if he was not specifically expecting Lan Di (Zhao Longsun), who was he expecting? Probably someone from Chi You Men.

Maybe Iwao was shocked to learn that Zhao's son had actually joined the Chi You Men. Iwao might have thought that Lan Di is just some Chi You Men big shot, who is after the mirror. After Lan Di revealed his personal motif though, Iwao still might no have been sure where he is.

Well, we will not know the truth about this, unless we find out what happened in Meng Cun. Perhaps S3 will give us that answer, if Lan Di will be one of the bosses in that game.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Switch
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Switch » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:43 pm

Some great points and theories. I agree, Iwao had clearly made preparations (even for the case of his own death) in case someone turned up to try to take the mirror(s). His shock at discovering that the violent member of the Chi You Men in front of him is actually Zhao's son would match his spoken reaction perfectly.

It's also interesting that after Ryo finds the letter in Iwao's room he wonders to himself whether his father had guessed that Lan Di would be turning up - but whether this was as "Zhao's son" or as a member of the Chi You Men is another question.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Mr357 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:58 am

How old was Lan Di when his father died? Had Iwao met him by that point? I assume he doesn't closely resemble Sunming Zhao, seeing as Iwao didn't recognize him until the name was brought up.

Perhaps Lan Di's mother is alive and living in one of the villages which will be featured in Shenmue III.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Switch » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:52 am

Mr357 wrote: How old was Lan Di when his father died? Had Iwao met him by that point? I assume he doesn't closely resemble Sunming Zhao, seeing as Iwao didn't recognize him until the name was brought up.

As far as I can work it out, Lan Di probably would have been around 11 years old at that time, assuming Sunming Zhao died at the time Iwao visited China "around 20 years ago" (as mentioned by the street musician Kai who was a friend of Iwao). If that's the case Iwao may have met Lan Di at that time but it seems reasonable to think he might not recognize him 20 years later.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:12 am

Switch wrote:
Mr357 wrote: How old was Lan Di when his father died? Had Iwao met him by that point? I assume he doesn't closely resemble Sunming Zhao, seeing as Iwao didn't recognize him until the name was brought up.

As far as I can work it out, Lan Di probably would have been around 11 years old at that time, assuming Sunming Zhao died at the time Iwao visited China "around 20 years ago" (as mentioned by the street musician Kai who was a friend of Iwao). If that's the case Iwao may have met Lan Di at that time but it seems reasonable to think he might not recognize him 20 years later.

I always assumed Iwao visited China when he was around the same age as Ryo, which would have been approximately 1958-1960 (putting Lan Di at three to five years old), but with the added context by Kai, he must have been a few years older (unless there was some kind of translation error and the "around twenty years ago" was more along the lines of "more" instead of "around"?).

Even if Iwao didn't recognise Lan Di by physical appearance, the fact Lan Di brings up the name of his father must have triggered something in Iwao's memory to put two and two together.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Switch » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:12 am

ShenGCH wrote:I always assumed Iwao visited China when he was around the same age as Ryo, which would have been approximately 1958-1960 (putting Lan Di at three to five years old), but with the added context by Kai, he must have been a few years older (unless there was some kind of translation error and the "around twenty years ago" was more along the lines of "more" instead of "around"?).

A difference in translation is always a possibility! I checked and Kai does say "around 20 years" in the Japanese as well.

phpBB [video]

Switch has received a thanks from: Nankeiro
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Return to Shenmue