Playing with older quality for atmosphere

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Playing with older quality for atmosphere

Postby Serenade » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:48 pm

I prefer playing Shenmue 1 and 2 with the RF or Composite/RGB instead of the VGA cable which I have. This is because of the atmosphere that is present when you play with that low quality. Call it nostalgia but it just brings me back to '99 and '00 when I play like this. Especially when it comea down to Shenmue where it's atmosphere is the most important part of it. I mean eapecially in this trailer for Shenmue II.
phpBB [video]

Don't you agree?
Serenade
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Playing with older quality for atmosphere

Postby Mr357 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:59 pm

I didn't even know the Dreamcast had RF. Personally, I could never go back to composite. I usually use s-video since that's the best that my CRT supports besides component, but I do have a VGA box and I love it.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Amir » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:26 pm

I played my first Dreamcast with composite cables back in the day as a kid in Abu Dhabi, RF was only a thing for the Dreamcast in Europe I believe. When I got a UK Dreamcast off eBay in the 2000s it came with one, and the quality makes composite look like HDMI...
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby BlueMue » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:26 pm

When the Dreamcast came out I bought an RGB Scart cable along with the system. It was crazy of Sega Europe to just ship it with an RF cable, a seriously dumb move.

Of course I started Shenmue with the cable and enjoyed the best quality you could get on a regular TV back then.
When a buddy of mine started Shenmue he still had the RF cable. It was terrible.
Once I made the the move to VGA I never turned back, and I wouldn't just for nostalgia. Always get the best out of the systems.

Besides that RGB Scart can look pretty good on the Dreamcast too. I had to play RE Code Veronica with it since it doesn't support VGA and I was surprised how clean and sharp it still looked.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:44 pm

what? dreamcast was shipped with rgb scart, same with the saturn and megadrive as well. I got one with rgb as well when it was released in 99. it always baffled mw how sega always released their consoles standard with rgb, but nintendo would use terrible av cables
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Return to Shenmue