Noguchi Construction

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Noguchi Construction

Postby wataro » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:39 pm

野口工務店 0468 (61) 5621

So, I was browsing the undub text files, I am searching for the original JP script text files if anyone has them, I have messaged Kogami and am awaiting a reply.

Within these files are lines that were cut from the English version or have additional Japanese dialogue

One of the first lines I find references Noguchi construction, a quick google search turns up that its infact a REAL Japanese construction company

http://noguchi-koumuten.com/contents/company.html

I don't know if they had personal relations or connections with the Shenmue team, or maybe they were consulted as structural advisors or the possibility that Manabu Takimoto the games architect was in connection with them...

The next link I find is this crazy as shit ancient Japanese Shenmue BBS from May 1999, before the release of 'What's Shnemue' (June 1st 1999?)
http://asahi-net.or.jp/~YD7K-ITU/sbbsin ... h_ALL.html

The thing is that it references the Noguchi construction company, and a QTE that Ryo is in

The way it is described is very similar to the Terry chase QTE in the beta VHS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpryt22p2Yk

which is also the same as the Shoichiro Irimajiri chase scene in the What's Shenmue playable demo

Ryo sees Terry coming out of the travel agency and gives chase in a QTE...
Up to the point where terry enters the arcade center, the clip ends,
This player notes, that he failed the QTE outside the theatre where he knocks the man over at 38seconds and can see the name and number of the Noguichi construction on the canvas covered building.

The player then? goes back and looks at it in first person mode and gets a notebook memo
(the name and number is removed in the final game and the number does not connect when dialled)

the BBS states
( original and translation)

http://asahi-net.or.jp/~YD7K-ITU/sbbsindex/old/36_ftkiqch_ALL.html

…ふと見ると、目の前に建設中の建物。 布の様なものが壁になって、中は見えないが、その布の隅に建設会社と思われる名前が書かれていた。
(redacted QTE segment-I gave chase a second time but knocked into another man who fell)
and am able to see infront of my eyes a building under construction, wrapped in cloth I cant see inside it, but on that outer wrap is written a construction company name

(I dont know if he went back to investigate of the failed QTE left him at this point in play,
But seems it would have had to have been looked at to get the memo in fp view)

芭月涼:「野口工務店…」
Ryo : Noguchi construction...

さらに見ると、電話番号まで書いてある。 その、
あまりの細かさが気になった涼は、メモを取った。
written along with it is the construction companys phone number,
although a trivial thing, Ryo makes a memo of it (in the journal)

芭月涼:「電話してみるか…」
Ryo: I should try calling them

テリーの追跡も忘れ、電話ボックスから「野口工務店」に電話をかける涼。
Forgetting about the pursuit of terry, Ryo heads to the phone box to call Noguchi construction

芭月涼:「本当につながるのカナ…」
Ryo: Will this really connect I wonder...

ぷるるる…ぷるるる…ぷるるる…ガチャッ!
[ring ring, ring ring, click!]

男の声:「はい、野口工務店です」
Man: Hello, this is Noguichi Construction
芭月涼:「ほ、本当に出たよぉ~。おいおい、この ゲーム、どこまでリアルなんだよ~」
Ryo: Wow they really put it in! , oi, oi, just how real are you trying to make this game?!
男の声:「は?もしもし?もしもし?」
Man: huh? hello? hello?
芭月涼:「もしかして、コーラの缶に書いてあった フリーダイヤルにもつながるのかなぁ?」
Ryo: Could this also be connected to the toll free number written on the cola can?
男の声:「もしも~し!どちら様ですか~?」
Man: hello~? Who is this?
芭月涼:「なんか、電話帳にも、横須賀の住民全員 の電話番号が載ってそうだよなぁ~」
Ryo: Huh, It seems like all the residents of Yokosuka are in the phone book..
男の声:「あんた、さっきから何言ってんですか!
用がないなら切りますよっ! ! 」
Man: What did you just say?! If you don't have any business I'm hanging up!

ガチャッ! …プーッ…プーッ…プーッ…
Click! beep- beep beep-...

Is this scene in the Whats shenmue disk or other betas?

Is there a toll free number on the coke can that needs to also be investigated?

Why did references of the Noguchi construction make into the final game but some lines were cut?!

Is this from an earlier playable demo?

File E1032 (J).txt

野口工務店です 0468 61 5621
----------

野口工務店ですが…&もしもし?
----------

はい、野口工務店です

here are the undub scripts if anyone wants them
https://mega.nz/#!st1xgSaL!rBM7SLcHvLVL ... G-V5rRotZk

wataro has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
wataro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Noguchi Construction

Postby Switch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:33 pm

An interesting find from the archives!

wataro wrote:Is this scene in the Whats shenmue disk or other betas?

Is there a toll free number on the coke can that needs to also be investigated?

Why did references of the Noguchi construction make into the final game but some lines were cut?!

Is this from an earlier playable demo?

As far as I know, it doesn't actually exist. The post ends with this comment which I'm guessing means it's just a fun interaction that someone made up after watching the Chase Terry QTE and seeing the phone number displayed (NJ2 = the 1999 Network Jungle II exhibition):

"…というわけで、この発言は、「NJ2」の時の最
新映像を見た時に思ったことを書いてみました~。
...and so, in this post I've written down what went through my mind
on viewing the latest video at NJ2.

wataro wrote:I am searching for the original JP script text files if anyone has them, I have messaged Kogami and am awaiting a reply.

I have the Japanese scripts if you don't get a reply from Kogami, just PM me.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby wataro » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:51 am

Switch wrote: An interesting find from the archives!

As far as I know, it doesn't actually exist. The post ends with this comment which I'm guessing means it's just a fun interaction that someone made up after watching the Chase Terry QTE and seeing the phone number displayed (NJ2 = the 1999 Network Jungle II exhibition):

Damn thats so obviously referencing Network Jungle 2 now you point it out, and the amount of times I've seen that NJ3 video...... :roll:
And yep, May is the exact date of the NJ2 promo http://www2.plala.or.jp/WAT/netj2.htm

BUT
As far as I know, it doesn't actually exist.

wait wait what doesn't? the beta, the scene?
It would make sense if it was from an early promo build they were showing at NJ2
but
...and so, in this post I've written down what went through my mind
on viewing the latest video at NJ2.

This is what really got me confused as fuck, like you said, I thought this but I didn't mention it because I was so unsure about it ( overall not just the NJ2 bit 笑)

if this is just the inane ramblings of an observer of the NJ2 promo where they see the Noguichi construction name during a QTE...

Why the HECK are they dead on with the fact there are entries left in the final game referencing it?!!?!?

野口工務店です 0468 61 5621 (written memo or Ryo would say this upon inspection)
はい、野口工務店です (exactly as the commenter describes, swap lines to make more coherent)
野口工務店ですが…&もしもし? (like the commenter says, the man on the phone acting like Ryo isn't responding or its a prank call)
----------

at this point it sounds more like a insider dev plant on the BBS to promote how real it is lol

[EDIT]
just watching NJ3 back again and the TGS in march has a playable demo of the terry QTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbrSmqnegIk
47:09

Maybe it was in there...

I have the Japanese scripts if you don't get a reply from Kogami, just PM me.

I love u
Do you have or is it 'easy' to dump the whats shenmue text files? and or the 0.004 beta version?

Also is it possible to get the shenmue 2 text dump also both EN /JP using the same methods?

I have great ambitions ...

And the next mystery is why is 三幸運送 referenced? Apparently they are a logistics and delivery company lol
wataro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Switch » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:40 am

wataro wrote:Damn thats so obviously referencing Network Jungle 2 now you point it out, and the amount of times I've seen that NJ3 video......

Don't feel bad, it didn't hit me straight away either :D

wataro wrote:if this is just the inane ramblings of an observer of the NJ2 promo where they see the Noguichi construction name during a QTE...

Why the HECK are they dead on with the fact there are entries left in the final game referencing it?!!?!?

wataro wrote:just watching NJ3 back again and the TGS in march has a playable demo of the terry QTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbrSmqnegIk
47:09

Maybe it was in there...

Yep, I think that must be it - if the beta demo allowed players to try calling the Noguchi Construction number then that would explain why our BBS friend can quote exactly what they say on answering. He surely made up Ryo's replies or "thoughts" for comic effect though - this is the part I don't think exists in reality - wouldn't you say?

Then later, when the developers later decided to strip out the ability to call Noguchi Construction, they must have forgotten to remove those subtitle entries from the files.

wataro wrote:Do you have or is it 'easy' to dump the whats shenmue text files? and or the 0.004 beta version?

Also is it possible to get the shenmue 2 text dump also both EN /JP using the same methods?

I have great ambitions ...

For extracting subtitles text in general for the different versions and languages, there is a set of custom tools created specifically that can be found on the Shenmue Translation Pack (ShenTrad) website:
http://shenmuesubs.sourceforge.net/
There are also tutorials there explaining how to use the tools. Of course, the easiest way would be to get hold of dumps that someone has made already if you can. (Btw, I have the subtitles for What's Shenmue as xml files).

I am quite interested in what you're planning with the subtitles. I know some people are keen to try to identify lines that are missing or incorrect in the English undub version compared to the Japanese original, maybe efforts could be combined if there is a similar aim.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby johnvivant » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Switch, do you have the full English and Japanese scripts from both games? i'd love to have those.

do these include all the dialogue from the game? is it all jumbled, or is it appropriately ordered, ie. as the conversations occur in the scenes of the game?

Do you think you could upload them to a file sharing site like mediafire, so anyone who wants them can obtain them easily.

thank you.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Switch » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:09 pm

johnvivant wrote:Switch, do you have the full English and Japanese scripts from both games? i'd love to have those.

do these include all the dialogue from the game? is it all jumbled, or is it appropriately ordered, ie. as the conversations occur in the scenes of the game?

Do you think you could upload them to a file sharing site like mediafire, so anyone who wants them can obtain them easily.

I've got the full scripts for just the first game (E & J) readily at hand at the moment. But the ordering is not in the exact order of conversation - for that I think you'd need to use something like the Shenmue Free Quest Subtitles Editor tool against the original files.

Anyway, I've uploaded them here:

Shenmue scripts - English
https://mega.nz/#!H0802aaQ!8t7rEr92UKCz ... qhB2d7fVks

Shenmue scripts - Japanese
https://mega.nz/#!GsMGRRzT!sM7sabC6Dfew ... 2CPcXm6CUs

Switch has received 2 thanks from: johnvivant, wataro
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Return to Shenmue