Shenmue story plot

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue story plot

Postby rbm58 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Having just watched the Shenmue digest movie from the main page (which is great) and coming back to thinking about the series for the first time in a little while and been new to posting on the dojo it just had me thinking on the plot from the first game. I would just welcome views of others on my thoughts.

As is clear from the early part of the game Lan Di does not know Ryo has the Phoenix mirror. Chai discovers this when Ryo visits Master Chen and briefly Chai gains possession of the mirror. Chai speaks along the lines of "Master Lan Di will be happy about a second mirror" referring to telling him / giving him the mirror. We know that Chai wishes to serve Lan Di from the comments he makes in the fight at the Arcade. We also know from what Terry of the Mad Angels said towards the end of the game that Chai assisted Lan Di in leaving Japan to go to Hong Kong when pressured by Ryo at the end of the fight "That creepy skinhead took him out to the ship". So on the basis of the above it would seem to make sense that Chai will have told Lan Di about Ryo having the Phoenix mirror? And if so would Lan Di not have sought to pursue Ryo and the mirror at this point as opposed to seeking Yuanda Zhu in Hong Kong?

Apologies if this has been discussed at length elsewhere, I am new to posting on the dojo! I am sure I may have missed out parts in my memory from the full original game having played it so long ago now!

rbm58 has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
rbm58
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue story plot

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:15 pm

We actually have a thread discussing this very topic, so this thread might get merged into that, but it can be assumed Chai didn't tell Lan Di about the location of the Phoenix Mirror as he wanted to retrieve and give it to Lan Di himself as it would pretty much guarantee being offered a place amongst the ranks of the Chi You Men, which is Chai's greatest dream. Had Chai simply told Lan Di the location, it wouldn't have been as 'real' or important, nor would it have given Chai as much right to join the organisation, at least in his warped mind. Actions speak louder than words, I guess.

He is a fucking maniac/hardcore Lan Di fanboy, after all.

Welcome to the Dojo, dude!

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: rbm58
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue story plot

Postby rbm58 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Thank you for the reply, yes I can see your angle there. I shall read the topic thread with interest!
rbm58
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to Shenmue