Lets Talk Shenmue HD

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

Postby BlueMue » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Esppiral wrote:Many of you may have noticed already, but during many cutscenes, characters that weren't supossed to be seen while playing in 4:3 aspect ratio, are standing still on the corner of the screen while in 16:9, and then they start moving when they are supposed to be visible.

Well there is a very easy fix for this. Just zoom in on the scene to get the original frame inside the black bars back. It's how the cinematics were originally made to be seen anyway, field of view wise. Not a problem at all for a rerelease to fix this wich of course can be much more sophisticated than the hacks.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:53 pm

BlueMue wrote: Shenmue just had WAY too much text for the time to provide multiple languages. It would've required a ton of work from many people to type it all up. Disc space management and integration of a system to have multiple subtitle files for a cutscene would've also required a good bit of extra work.

Depending on how much they could or couldn't work on it while the US version was still in the making it may have caused a huge delay for the PAL version and I think they really wanted to avoid that.

Back then we were used to getting games a good 6 months to a year after the US and Japan though because of translation so I'm not sure if it would really have been that much of a problem.
Tosh wrote:Subtitles and text for every language is super expensive.

Is it really though? compared to the overall costs it seems to be one of the least expensive things.

What I really don't get is that a system defining game like shenmue didn't get translated while skies of arcadia which I doubt is really that much less text heavy did. Maybe they just treated Europe as an afterthought and cared primarily about the American and Japanese markets (but then the notebook in shenmue 2 was translated in to French in the DC version while I don't think it was in the xbox version so who knows)
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Tosh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Well, its not cheap enough i guess. Take a game like Yakuza 0 Kiwami, whatever.
These games are filled with inside jokes, sayings, story explanations and so on.
They can't even translate that 1:1 into English and it takes them like a year to get it done +/-.

Then they would need other teams that translate everything from English
to German, Spanish, French, Italian, Russian... (so they have to wait for the English team first)
or all of the teams have to work individual with the Japanese version. Thats a ton of work for a niche market product.

I mean German is one of the most common languages in Europe, Germany is one of the most important countries in Europe for the sale numbers - but still - there are a lot of companies who think that English is enough.

So i guess companies like Sega are thinking that the earnings are good enough with just a English version.
The only reason that i can think of is money.
The translation of Shenmue 3 is a different thing because the people on Kickstarter paid exactly for that.
So the publisher has not to worry about that.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Well my focus was primarily on shenmue but I really don't see why they have to wait for the English team to finish first in any case because it's not only in America where you can find people bilingual in Japanese, I know we got a lot of anime dubbed here long before the USA even some major ones like DBZ. I wouldn't call France "a niche market" either since the video game industry rakes in billions in revenue every year. Yakuza I can perhaps understand since they never really intended it for the western market in the first place but shenmue still baffles me to this day.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Tosh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:46 pm

Well Shenmue 1 & 2 PAL has German menues and the notebook has German text too
but all of the subtitles are in English and i think there is only 1 person listed in the credits for the German text.
So Sega probably thought that this is good enough. And i can only think of a money/time problem.
And as i said, i'm pretty sure that they would only provide a English translation for Shenmue 3
if they would publish it the normal way without Kickstarter.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Tosh wrote: Well Shenmue 1 & 2 PAL has German menues and the notebook has German text too
but all of the subtitles are in English and i think there is only 1 person listed in the credits for the German text.
So Sega probably thought that this is good enough. And i can only think of a money/time problem.
And as i said, i'm pretty sure that they would only provide a English translation for Shenmue 3
if they would publish it the normal way without Kickstarter.

Considering how much SEGA invested in to shenmue I really don't see why suddenly a couple extra hundred thousand for translation would be too much but sure.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:17 am

I've just seen in twitter this post:
https://twitter.com/shenmuelegend/statu ... 4952253440

And this one
https://twitter.com/shenmuelegend/statu ... 5042560005

I thought It'd be interesting to share with you all :-)

Hazuki00 has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, punkmanced
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby sutoji » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: I've just seen in twitter this post:

And this one

also http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/10/27/s ... games-week

what are the chances
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby SheepheadCG » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:05 pm

And this one

ShenmueLegend is a guy on this forum right? I swear he is that guy who has been tweeting at Bill Gates and loads of famous boxers asking them to fund Shenmue 3 :???:

Thought I'd also post:
https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-paris ... new-games/

Interested, but keep a level head people.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:54 am

SheepheadCG wrote:

And this one

ShenmueLegend is a guy on this forum right? I swear he is that guy who has been tweeting at Bill Gates and loads of famous boxers asking them to fund Shenmue 3 :???:

Thought I'd also post:
https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-paris ... new-games/

Interested, but keep a level head people.

Wrong. That isn't me. Anyway, if there is a Shenmue HD one day, I hope it's a remake of the first two. That would be great! However, since this is Sega we're talking about here, I doubt it. They're too busy recycling their Sonic games over and over again. Too lazy to put in the effort for a remake so they'll probably do a cheap remaster.

Shenmue_Legend has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Mr.Jigen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:30 am

I Think if Sega wants to make a little cash on an old IP it's possible. The project probably wouldn't be too hard for them I'd love to see these games in HD.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Valascaziel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Nothing bore fruit at PGW. How do you feel heading to PSX 2017??

The usual things are afoot--tweets from Cedric, SEGA, etc...

I hope for HD, simply because with PSX being toned down this year, it really has a chance to shine. I don't expect III, but HD could really have a nice splash as a surprise announcement there, especially with most of the games that would've lessened it's impact being shown at Paris.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Well, it's not like trade shows are requirements when announcing smaller endeavors.

They'll probably be HD ports when they do come out, so it's not like anything fancy's needed.
Press release. Bam.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr.Jigen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:29 pm

punkmanced wrote: Well, it's not like trade shows are requirements when announcing smaller endeavors.

They'll probably be HD ports when they do come out, so it's not like anything fancy's needed.
Press release. Bam.

I agree the release of the HD games may be ground shattering to our small little community. But, to Sega and the gaming world at large it will just be another HD port.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby celsowm » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:06 pm

Is Sega Europe teasing us something?

EDIT: They gave a similar answer for PC ports in 2016 (and we had Bayonetta and Vaniquish months later)

celsowm
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue