Lets Talk Shenmue HD

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Lets Talk Shenmue HD

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:04 pm

I, along with very many others, are hopeful for Shenmue HD to see the light of day..

On a scale of 1-10, how likely do you think it will be it gets revealed in 2017?

I'd personally love(far fetched) for an Anniversary style remake like Halo, where you could toggle between the graphic styles.

What would you like it to be named? Simply Shenmue HD or say, Shenmue: Ryos Legacy(dunno).

What bonus features would you like to see? A remastered soundtrack like Final Fantasy X? Cut scenes added back in? Redone voice lines? Making-of bonus content?

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

Postby Himuro » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Chances of this happening from 1-10 is a 5.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:38 pm

No question about it.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: delvec19, DreamcastPast, FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Peter, any reasoning behind such a high prediction? Just from sheer Kick starter success?
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:59 pm

Just some things I heard whilst in Japan that add to the logic of it all. No, that is not me saying I was told Shenmue HD will be announced.

It's logical if Sony want to make money from the franchise, that they would throw a few million for a studio to remaster them. They want to make money at the end of the day. So do YSNET and so to do Sega. Even if they are not remasters, the original 2 games will be released in some capacity, I have no doubts.

Peter has received 4 thanks from: Anonymous81, delvec19, FlagshipFighter, The_Intruder
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Jibby » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:12 pm

I'm pretty pessimistic when it comes to potential remasters, but anything can happen. It makes sense for Sony to fund the remasters but I sometimes get the feeling that Shenmue isn't that big of a priority for Sony.

To answer your questions though, unless I start seeing more Shenmue promotion from Sony soon, I think it's about a 4/10 chance. As for the name, I think it definitely should be something along the lines of "Shenmue: The HD Collection". I don't expect much extra to be added except for wait features in Shenmue I and higher resolution textures with mipmapping.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:34 pm

I think it is a pretty big deal for Sony, otherwise they wouldn't have cared to help get it exposure to be resurrected.

I'm sure you'll see it given more exposure in the coming months by Sony, once it is officially ready enough to be marketed like they said.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Hopefully so! There's still a fair amount of development time left so I suppose we'll see.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby punkmanced » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:54 pm

We’ll definitely see Shenmue re-releases at some point. Whether they’re more or less bare-bones ports or not remains to be seen of course, but yeah- someday. Hopefully sooner rather than later, and ideally preceding Shenmue 3’s release (for obvious reasons).

Only thing bugging me is Sega’s complete BS excuse (“licensing issues”- GTFO with that sh*t. Jet Cola, bitches), which means that they either aren’t ready to make an official announcement just yet (hey hey!) ….or simply don’t consider Shenmue to be a priority in any way, shape or form (ie ‘you’ll get them when you get them’).

Either way, they're stalling. Let’s hope they don't disappoint.

punkmanced has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:19 pm

I think it's happening.

No idea about Sony's involvement, but I think there's significant desire in SEGA to make it happen.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:06 pm

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: -=SPZ=-47
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:40 pm

I think it will happen at some point, and that all the parties involved clearly want it to happen.

The questions are: 1) When? And 2) How good will the re-release be in terms of added features or enhancements?

It's #2 I'm most worried about. While for us Shenmue fans, just having the games again in a modern format (without needing to emulate) would be a dream come true, and, I believe, sufficient at least for many of us. But for modern audiences who know nothing about Shenmue, and are used to much more accessible and quicker paced games, I fear quick and dirty upscales would result in massively negative critical reviews, and the same on the user side.

Even if it means we have to wait until after Shenmue III is released, I really hope they give us a proper "remaster" treatment. Better camera control, a more convenient save system, incorporation of a "wait" feature into the original game not just the second one, both games released as a single package, perhaps even essentially as one "game" with seamless transition from I to II, full controller support with correct button prompts (including for QTEs,) less confusing QTE prompts (i.e. telling us what to press, but not then that weird little after the fact repetition that always made me think the QTE presses were longer than they really were lol,) and if at all possible, a complete retexture and modern lighting effects.

I think if they did this, it would make the game receive a much warmer reception, resulting in increased sales. But, as a fan, I would also happily accept just a quick and dirty upscale with modern controller support, just to have access to these classics again without emulation.

I would be very surprised if we get a full remaster with the kinds of enhancements mentioned above prior to Shenmue III's release. It would be a WONDERFUL surprise, don't get me wrong, but I am skeptical of their ability to do it in the time remaining (even with a S3 delay.)

So in terms of odds for a 2017 announcement, on a 1-10 scale, I give it:

6 to 7 if it's a quick and dirty upscale that works with multiple modern controllers on PC and PS4, completely digitally distributed, no physical release.

3 or 4 if it's a full remaster with those kinds of major enhancements, and if it gets a physical release.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:01 pm

It must be for PC too and before the release of Shenmue 3 to enhance the sales of this one.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby yuc02 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:09 pm

My gut feeling is a 4.

If it happens, would a PSN/Steam digital only release make sense, or do you think it needs a physical release? I think it needs to be physical, but don't know if SEGA would accept the costs and potential risk, but then a digital only release might not get the same exposure. Dilemmas...
yuc02
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: yuc2002

Postby SMDzero » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:12 pm

Whoever thinks 10/10 is being a complete Pollyanna especially after the whole PSX Experience train wreck that left us all wretched shadows of our former selfs bereft of hopes and dreams.

Sure, there is a 10/10 chance that SOMEDAY (like in 500 years) there will be remaster but not in time for Shenmue 3.

I'd give it a 2 maybe a 3 if I want to throw a little Christmas charity out there.

SMDzero has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, Mystere, Yokosuka
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue