Lets Talk Shenmue HD

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

Postby Telekill » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:54 pm

I anticipate getting a Switch for the big family Christmas gift this year, but I would be sad if it wasn't on PS4 given that's where I'll be playing Shenmue 3.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby JohnBlack » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:20 pm

KidMarine wrote:
Serenade wrote:
KidMarine wrote: Knowing Sega, it'll be Xbone and Switch only.

They are actually very keen on Playstation platforms

True. But their penchant for fucking things up overrides all.

If so, they can do it on Ouya
JohnBlack
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby khmlight3 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:22 pm

I think Shenmue I and II HD will get a physical retail release because Valkyria Chronicles Remastered got it!

khmlight3 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
khmlight3

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Telekill » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:00 pm

My highest hopes are that Shenmue 1 and 2 will be included in an HD collection in physical form and that there will be a limited run steelbook collectors edition.

Question: What do you guys think they would put in a hypothetical collector's edition of the Shenmue HD Collection? Assume it's happening regardless that a collector's edition is probably not happening even if the collection is.

My dream Shenmue Collection Collector's Edition:
- Steelbook
- 10" Figure of Ryo and Shenhua together
- Specialized VMU that has all Shenmue VMU mini games preinstalled (unable to connect to a Dreamcast)
- Artbook
- Soundtrack on CD
- Behind the scenes Blu-ray
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Telekill wrote:My highest hopes are that Shenmue 1 and 2 will be included in an HD collection in physical form and that there will be a limited run steelbook collectors edition.

Question: What do you guys think they would put in a hypothetical collector's edition of the Shenmue HD Collection? Assume it's happening regardless that a collector's edition is probably not happening even if the collection is.

My dream Shenmue Collection Collector's Edition:
- Steelbook
- 10" Figure of Ryo and Shenhua together
- Specialized VMU that has all Shenmue VMU mini games preinstalled (unable to connect to a Dreamcast)
- Artbook
- Soundtrack on CD
- Behind the scenes Blu-ray

Sounds great! I know this might be an unrealistic expectation of mine, but I would really love to see the Saturn version of Shenmue playable, or at the very least shown in more detail.

If would be nice for the game to have multiple options for things like running the game in the remastered form as well as the DC version with original effects and in 4:3 (like the monkey island remasters). Things like eng/jap audio obviously, and yeah unlockables and special features (as part the game like the genesis collection if not the separate disc) no doubt would I let the whole world know about this game if it were coming.

Most importantly, I think it would be smartest of all for Sega to pull a Square Enix and realise it's screeching fanbase like us lot are just big fat whales who would happily pay a lot for a well put together collection (like that sonic mania game) they really should consider multiple SKUs...
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:34 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:I know this might be an unrealistic expectation of mine, but I would really love to see the Saturn version of Shenmue playable, or at the very least shown in more detail.

From what Cedric and Ryan Payton have said, YSnet actually has access to that version as it kind of comes under the umbrella of development materials from the series Yu is allowed to use to help make Shenmue III.

Unfortunately, Ryan said during the Back in my Play podcast he was on that nobody actually knows where the Saturn Shenmue source code is.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:39 am

Spaghetti wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote:I know this might be an unrealistic expectation of mine, but I would really love to see the Saturn version of Shenmue playable, or at the very least shown in more detail.

From what Cedric and Ryan Payton have said, YSnet actually has access to that version as it kind of comes under the umbrella of development materials from the series Yu is allowed to use to help make Shenmue III.

Unfortunately, Ryan said during the Back in my Play podcast he was on that nobody actually knows where the Saturn Shenmue source code is.

Tattooed on Yu Suzuki's back, I imagine. We're gonna need some infiltrators ;-)

Honestly, though, would the source code not just be on a disc or hard drive in storage somewhere, if not (or at least once was) in Yu's possession?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:13 am

ShenGCH wrote:Tattooed on Yu Suzuki's back, I imagine. We're gonna need some infiltrators ;-)

Honestly, though, would the source code not just be on a disc or hard drive in storage somewhere, if not (or at least once was) in Yu's possession?

I think SEGA holds onto that stuff, but their archiving and preservation practices for Saturn-era games was awful. They lost the source code to Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Ryan Payton is still trying to chase it up, but I doubt he'll actually find anything.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:38 am

They... LOST the SOURCE CODE for PDS!?

>_< I love you Sega, but that one hurts my soul.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:15 am

It is what it is. Archiving and preservation in the video game industry is fucking awful.

I know people bitch about remasters but now that companies know they can make cheap(ish) money on repackaged old products they have more incentive for archiving and preserving the source code.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:18 am

Spaghetti wrote: It is what it is. Archiving and preservation in the video game industry is fucking awful.

I know people bitch about remasters but now that companies know they can make cheap(ish) money on repackaged old products they have more incentive for archiving and preserving the source code.

I guess they didn't have the foresight back then to think people would be remotely interested in playing enhanced versions of games they've already played (not counting from-scratch remakes such as the phenomenal Resident Evil remake, for example).

Little did they know, eh?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 am

Videogaming is still a young industry, so it's learning as it goes along. Many classic television shows are missing because of decades spent taping over the master copies with new episodes. People don't think about the future until given a reason to learn from their (or others') mistakes.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby celsowm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:11 pm

I was wondering if SEGA "still" has the Lossless Audio voice clips of Shenmue (IMO, Shenmue has some kind of clipping/noise).
Last edited by celsowm on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby Jibby » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:16 pm

celsowm wrote: I was wondering if SEGA "still" have the Lossless Audio voice clips of Shenmue (IMO, Shenmue has some kind of clipping/noise).

I think they do as they used them in Ryo's All Star Racing DLC if I'm not mistaken.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, celsowm
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Spaghetti wrote: It is what it is. Archiving and preservation in the video game industry is fucking awful.

Indeed. I'm not mad at them for losing it or anything, I know hindsight is always 20/20. It just genuinely makes me sad anything anytime has the word "lost" applied to it. Same with old toy molds, like some of the G1 Transformers molds that have been misplaced and never found over the years.

Just something very melancholic about things vanished from history. Don't mind me, I overthink things lol. :p
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue