Lets Talk Shenmue HD

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

Postby Fluffy90 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:53 pm

"WWG can now share that we’ve heard rumors" HAVEN'T WE ALL :D

But in all seriousness this years PSX seems to be out of all previous events the most likely to drop Shenmue HD on us,i wouldn't expect a physical release at all for those hoping it is almost definitely going to be download only to minimize the risk for Sega,plus you know an 18 year old dreamcast game isn't going to exactly sell awhole ton.

The only thing that makes me weary of these rumors is when they say it will also come on xbox,why would they release it on a platform for which shenmue III isn't going to come for and one in which Sony part funded and make happen?

4k shenmue on the pro is going to be sweeeeeeeeet :D

Fluffy90 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Fluffy90
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Haroon90
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:55 pm

I embolden my conjecture based on Yu's statements in various interviews that he hopes to start the marketing push for Shenmue III by years end.

To me, that pegs PSX as the ripe time for both a true, up-to-date look at Shenmue III in action, plus a simultaneous teveal of the HD Collection. It just seems a bit more plausible this year because we've already seen Shenmue III(granted, early footage) as opposed to nothing being shown prior to PSX last year.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Fluffy90 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Well let's all mark a date for 9 December to be at the Dojo chatroom and let us all celebrate what has been practically a lifetime wait to finally unfold!

It might even be Deep silver that could finally push Sega into doing this as apparently it was them that pushed out the teaser trailer at eurogamer,was probably a mistake but they seem to be able to put on the pressure now that they have a financial interest in the Shenmue IP to get as much done as possible to see a maximum return on their investment.

I agree with valascanziel a 'proper' trailer followed by "now experience the origins of shenmue TODAY" would have the maximum impact and will start to put Shenmue into the greater gaming consciousness and should bode well upto the release of Shenmue III,expect traffic to this site and others to spike quite significantly,i may even propose a revamp of this site as it's structure is abit dated compared to more 'modern' sites and forums.

HOWEVER please Sega make the effort and do Shenmue justice by putting out something not just the fans can appreciate but newcomers too!

Fluffy90 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Fluffy90

Postby sutoji » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:51 pm

I doubt it's even happening. This new leak suggests nothing because it is people just spreading nonesense. With Shenmue rumours are an entitlement to alarm the fanbase and mess with us like usual. Look closely, all that it's basically saying is "Shenmue HD is likely to happen because it makes sense" The retailers have them listed because they are possibly looking for money or false-hyping everyone into thinking its real and $$$$

Sega kept repeating their apparent problem "we have licensing issues" or some nonesense because its clear. They cant do it, its difficult, its a huge responsibility and Shenmue is not all so good in Sega's eyes right after its failure in sales, they are focused heavily on their other titles as of now in their current situation with titles such as Yakuza Kiwami 2, Sonic Forces (to name some) so despite claiming to be interested in Shenmue with all their responses I'd say absolutely no chance a HD remaster is even in the works. I will keep my eyes open however.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby Fluffy90 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:24 pm

All good points Sutoji,i put in my two pennies worth before that article was posted so i still believe we will see something later this year.

Weather or not Sega release it or not we can all agree the best and really only time to get them out if before shenmue III comes out,if that the prime opportunity will be missed and then i would really believe we will never get a re-release :(
Fluffy90

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Fluffy90 wrote:The only thing that makes me weary of these rumors is when they say it will also come on xbox,why would they release it on a platform for which shenmue III isn't going to come for and one in which Sony part funded and make happen?

That’s what I’m having a hard time with too. I understand PS4 but Xbox is strange. It could be because that rumor a couple of weeks ago mentioned Xbox.

They’re saying multiple sources linked with Sega. I know nothing about comicbook.com and whether or not they’re reputable. As much as I want to believe this it could just be comicbook.com trying to ride the wave of that alleged leak from Europe.

I wonder if Shenmue 3 could be a timed exclusive for PS4 and it will come to Xbox after a specific time has passed. I mean if it’s coming out for PC wouldn’t it make sense to be on Xbox too?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hazuki00 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:27 am

Lots of rumors about Shenmue HD lately! I can not wait for Sega to confirm it!

It's important to release them traslated into several languages, I always read in forums people complaining about traductions so that they can understand the story.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby south carmain » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Never understood the deal with sega releasing games in English all across the EU. Especially in France where there are so little people fluent enough to be able to play through the games comfortably.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Esppiral
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Esppiral » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:49 pm

south carmain wrote: Never understood the deal with sega releasing games in English all across the EU. Especially in France where there are so little people fluent enough to be able to play through the games comfortably.
I'd say the same for Spain Italia and Portugal
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Mr357 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:19 pm

south carmain wrote: Never understood the deal with sega releasing games in English all across the EU. Especially in France where there are so little people fluent enough to be able to play through the games comfortably.

It saves them money.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:02 am

Mr357 wrote:

It saves them money.

Not sure about that. It saves them in production costs but reduces potential sales.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Esppiral
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby BlueMue » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am

Shenmue just had WAY too much text for the time to provide multiple languages. It would've required a ton of work from many people to type it all up. Disc space management and integration of a system to have multiple subtitle files for a cutscene would've also required a good bit of extra work.

Depending on how much they could or couldn't work on it while the US version was still in the making it may have caused a huge delay for the PAL version and I think they really wanted to avoid that.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby khmlight3 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Fluffy90 wrote: "WWG can now share that we’ve heard rumors" HAVEN'T WE ALL :D

But in all seriousness this years PSX seems to be out of all previous events the most likely to drop Shenmue HD on us,i wouldn't expect a physical release at all for those hoping it is almost definitely going to be download only to minimize the risk for Sega,plus you know an 18 year old dreamcast game isn't going to exactly sell awhole ton.

The only thing that makes me weary of these rumors is when they say it will also come on xbox,why would they release it on a platform for which shenmue III isn't going to come for and one in which Sony part funded and make happen?

4k shenmue on the pro is going to be sweeeeeeeeet :D

I hope and think Shenmue I and II HD will get a retail physical release and plus more people would be able to buy it!
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Esppiral » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 pm

The more I think about it, the less I think it will be released.

It needs to be a remake, or nothing, not only because that's what I want, but realeasing an HD version or direct port would cause them more trouble than anything, I am saying this after hacking both Shenmue and Shenmue 2 to display in widescreen.

Many of you may have noticed already, but during many cutscenes, characters that weren't supossed to be seen while playing in 4:3 aspect ratio, are standing still on the corner of the screen while in 16:9, and then they start moving when they are supposed to be visible.

Examples, when Ryo meets Megumi for the first time, you can see in 16:9 how he is frozen until he is supposed to be seen, then he starts moving.

In Shenmue 2 the guy that takes you a photo when you arrive to Hong Kong will teletransport himself and freeze to the right corner of the screen

When you meet the Poison Brothers for the first time, Joys motorcycle is parked on the left of the screen, magically the next frame she is riding it.

Land Di is hidden behind a wall when eveyone is in Ren's hideout and Yuanda Zhu shows you the "map"

When ryo reads the letter for the first time, it is flying towards his hand, the black bars were supposed to hide this. etc etc.

This is aceptable because we are hacking the game to do things it wasn't suposed to be doing, and those things werent suposed to be seen, but releasing an HD port in 2017 showcasing that.... that makes me think that they will go the easy route and release them in 4:3.... that's why it needs to be a remaster and not a port, among many other things.

Esppiral has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Tosh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Subtitles and text for every language is super expensive. I'm in Germany and i know a lot of people who are ignoring the Yakuza and Persona games because they can't accept that its English only. And i can understand that its not optimal to have just English text. But people are ignoring the cost factor for these things. Of course they will translate games like Battlefield 1 and Mass Effect into almost every language because there is absolutely no risk for the publisher.

But you can't compare it with Yakuza or some Koei Tecmo Samurai games.
The publisher for the latest Yakuza games is Deep Silver here in Europe and we only get English text.
And of course people are asking themself: why are there no German subtitles?
Well because Deep Silver is the publisher for Europe. If they would provide German text, they also have to provide Italian, Spanish, French and other translations. And thats just way to expensive for these kind of games.
The companies still want to earn some money. If they provide subtitles and text in every language for every market niche game, then the risk is way too high to earn +/- 0 or even less.

We can be very thankful if they provide different subtitles and text for Shenmue 3 because of the Kickstarter campain,
because it's very possible that Deep Silver would be okay with English only.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue