Shenmue 1.. a mostly optional affair?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue 1.. a mostly optional affair?

Postby Thief » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:53 pm

Gunna be honest here. I don't think the plot (as in what explicitly happens) of Shenmue 1 is that compelling. A digest version makes no sense to me because largely why it's so appealing is because of the slow pace and the immersion -- I don't want to see the main events, I wan't to explore the small details. Can't say I'd be particularly happy with this concept. Shemue 1 & 2 HD, complete, or bust.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:09 pm

ShenGCH wrote: I don't think the Wait option is the reason for the watered-down intimacy/importance of NPCs and rigidity of schedules present in the first game. Shenmue II, whether by design or consequence, feels much less tighter and well-knitted than its predecessor, not least because of how much more open and 'free' the world is, as well as the options within, to the point where the vast majority of the schedules present are simply unnecessary because they make no difference to the player. Instead of being about 'Oh, I need to be there by 2:00pm', for example, it's a case of daytime/night time unless otherwise specified.

You are misunderstanding me. I'm not touching on the argument of whether npcs feel more intimate or the world being tighter in the first or second game, as these can be subjective to each player's experience. My only point is that the wait feature can change the experience for those coming fresh from Shenmue 1, just like how Perfect_Chaos felt about the second game. And that change comes from the fact that now TIME is there only to add aesthetic immersion . In Shenmue 2 it's about the player's control over the in-game world, as you get to choose basically when things happen at the spot, while in Shenmue 1 you are forced to work with the time mechanic.
Last edited by sand4fish on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: south carmain
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Raithos » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Filthy casuals. If they add a skip button we'll riot in the streets. But you wouldn't see us because you skipped ahead.

Raithos has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, SickOctopus, south carmain
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:54 am

ShenGCH wrote:
Perfect_Chaos wrote:
Himuro wrote: Don't use it. The only time it's required is when you need the Wulinshu and you're locked in Wise Man qtr.

Perfect_Chaos wrote:now you might think why wouldnt i just choose to not skip? because if the option is there god dammit I'm gonna take it lol. I don't want to wait around.

This doesn't justify your point, unfortunately. You say the Wait option "ruined" Shenmue II for you, despite it being a completely optional mechanic, and then you go on to say if the option is there, you're going to take it for that very reason despite taking no issue with being "forced" to take in the surroundings in the first game. If you were forced to use the Wait option, thereby disturbing the flow, cohesion, and freedom of the game, then yeah, I would understand, but when something is optional, it's optional; you're not required to do it under any circumstances. You're contradicting yourself.

*** insert unrealistic nerd rant about how erbody but me is soopid because we disagree***

Himuro wrote:Maybe it'd be instead of having wait or cancel pop up when it's time that decision, there's an option in the menu to turn wait on or off? That way he could turn wait off in the menu and just experience the game like Shenmue 1?

I think that'd be a great medium and should be in III. Maybe it's possible to mod into Shenmue II?

GOOD IDEA!
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ceej » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:09 pm

SMDzero wrote: What if they packaged Shenmue 1 and 2 HD together as one game but most of Shenmue 1 was optional?

Ryo gets out of bed 3 days after his father is killed, Ine San immediately gives him Zhu's letter, Ryo goes directly to Chen, finds the mirror, and then Chen gives him a boat ticket right away.. not part time job required.

The whole of the original game could still be available but for players who want to rush through they can do so with out getting bored.

Thoughts?

lol posts like this remind me of when I first started using the internet in middle school. That might come off as an insult, but it isn't. I miss having this kind of random enthusiasm.
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Zoltor » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:40 am

From a strictly gameplay perspective, Shenmue one doesn't seem worth replaying, when Shenmue 2 exists, however the whole point of Shenmue, is you're basically living Ryo's life.

Without going through the events of the 1st game, it will dull the experience overall.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Previous

Return to Shenmue