Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmuehd.com Domain Registered

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:43 am

iyapol wrote:games store who have confirmed that all pre orders on their website are genuine

Phew, glad that's settled.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby celsowm » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:48 am

I remember some days ago, a SEGA/Atlus guy (John Hardin) tweeted about the rumored Yakuza on Switch.

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/ ... 9879799814

I was thinking if we could try to ask him about this "Shenmue Pack Pre-order" by twitter or even by email (John(dot)Hardin(at)atlus(dot)com)
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:54 am

Since Shenmue 3 is actually exclusive to PS4 & PC and considering Sony is a partner in the Shenmue Series come back, I personally have a lot of doubts about this "Shenmue 1+2 Pack" being available for Xbox One (this plus the fact that it's the only store in the World to have this pre-order available).

Back to the domain names registrations, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it was a preventive move from Sega back in September 2016 in order to have control over potential domain names related to Shenmue HD.

When Post gave the interview to MCV, SEGA considered (rightly imo) it was safer to quickly register those domains.

This doesn't mean Sega isn't "according full attention" to Shenmue HD of course, but it doesn't mean either that (if they do it) they will be able to release them in time for Shenmue 3 release.
This could explain (in part) why Cédric Biscay has been so active with #SaveShenmueHD lately.
He may be trying to put some (time) pressure on them.

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Sonne2, VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:13 am

Kiske wrote: Since Shenmue 3 is actually exclusive to PS4 & PC and considering Sony is a partner in the Shenmue Series come back, I personally have a lot of doubts about this "Shenmue 1+2 Pack" being available for Xbox One (this plus the fact that it's the only store in the World to have this pre-order available).

I'm not sure we should expect that much synergy between Shenmue HD and Shenmue III for a number of reasons.

The biggest of which is probably the economics of the situation. SEGA aren't involved in any kind of marketing/publishing deal between Sony and YSnet, and can release Shenmue HD wherever they like.

There's definitely an audience on Xbox that want Shenmue in some form, and restricting platforms when they don't need to is only really harming potential profit margins.

Now I know it sounds dumb having Shenmue/Shenmue II on a platform that won't get III for the foreseeable future, but in cold business terms that's YSnet's problem and not SEGA's. I would be really surprised if SEGA makes a move that ignores their bottom line for a series they're not exactly known for being warm towards.

A wider release of the HD collection is better for III in the long run anyway, because at least some percentage of Xbox-only players will crack and purchase a system to play Shenmue III on day one.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:40 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Kiske wrote: Since Shenmue 3 is actually exclusive to PS4 & PC and considering Sony is a partner in the Shenmue Series come back, I personally have a lot of doubts about this "Shenmue 1+2 Pack" being available for Xbox One (this plus the fact that it's the only store in the World to have this pre-order available).

I'm not sure we should expect that much synergy between Shenmue HD and Shenmue III for a number of reasons.

The biggest of which is probably the economics of the situation. SEGA aren't involved in any kind of marketing/publishing deal between Sony and YSnet, and can release Shenmue HD wherever they like.

There's definitely an audience on Xbox that want Shenmue in some form, and restricting platforms when they don't need to is only really harming potential profit margins.

Now I know it sounds dumb having Shenmue/Shenmue II on a platform that won't get III for the foreseeable future, but in cold business terms that's YSnet's problem and not SEGA's. I would be really surprised if SEGA makes a move that ignores their bottom line for a series they're not exactly known for being warm towards.

A wider release of the HD collection is better for III in the long run anyway, because at least some percentage of Xbox-only players will crack and purchase a system to play Shenmue III on day one.

I agree with most part of what you said Spags, but don't you overestimate the "decisional" power of YsNet and underestimate the "decisional" role of Sony in all of this?

Yu Suzuki and YsNet are in charge of Shenmue 3 with the blessing of Sega, but we know Shenmue story won't end with Shenmue 3. If I remember well, Cédric said in an interview that the hope was to get a "normal" (or bigger) editor for Shenmue 4, if sales of 3 are good enough. This editor could be SEGA and the studio would of course still be YsNet.

The role of Sony? Market the game the best they can and seal a strong deal to ensure a bright future for the franchise (on their system possibly).

The role of Yu (outside being the Genius in charge of the Shenmue Series production)? The central link between Sega & Sony.

This is of course my own personal opinion, based on my analysis and on recent Peter's comments about Shenmue HD.
Maybe this doesn't make sense but I can hardly imagine Shenmue 1&2 HD on multiple plateforms, Shenmue 3 on PS4 and Shenmue 4 back on multiple platforms. (Unless the PS4 exclusivity is temporary, at which point I ask myself why the Sony efforts)
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:59 am

An argument can be made that having Shenmue 1 & 2 on both PS4 and Xbox One could benefit Sony, as those Xbox owners playing the series for the first time would then have to buy a PS4 (or at least consider it alongside the PC option) to continue the story that's now got its hooks in them.

Existing fans don't need to be lured onto PS4/PC with 1 & 2 exclusivity because 3 is already serving that purpose, so 1 & 2 could be used to generate interest amongst Xbox owners who don't already have a reason to care about 3.

Then of course there's a valid counterargument that many Xbox owners wouldn't bother playing 1 & 2, knowing that 3 isn't coming to their system. So the question is to what extent that would limit the success of this strategy, and whether it would still be worth it. Being worth it requires what Sony stands to gain being greater what they stand to lose, with minimal to no risk.

Since no one's going to buy a PS4 to play 1+2 who isn't already buying one to play 3, there are no console sales to lose by passing up exclusivity on those first two titles. And anyone already planning to play 3 on their PS4 isn't likely to choose the Xbox version of 1+2 over the PS4 version, even if they own both consoles, so there shouldn't be any lost software sales either.

So it seems to me that Sony would have nothing to lose from encouraging a multiconsole release for 1+2, and at least a little to gain.

Just a casual hypothesis of course, based on a very blunt understanding of corporate relationships and business deals in the games industry.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Well, this makes sense too and now I'm lost. :lol:

To be clear, I'm not a fanboy and I would be happy to see Shenmue Series spread on all the existing systems ! :mrgreen:

A last thought about those scenarios (or casual hypothesis):

We all agree that SEGA's economical interest would be to make Shenmue 1&2 HD multiplatform.
But right now, who may be knocking on Sega's door to convince them to release 1 & 2 HD versions?
Yu Suzuki, Cédric Biscay... Sony for sure. But Microsoft?

Shenmue 3 commercial success is more important to YsNet, Shibuya and Sony than it is for Xbox One right?
I can't help but wonder, IF Sony puts efforts to convince Sega, why not try to go for an exclusivity for the whole Serie?
Call the PS4: "Home of Shenmue"?

Maybe I give to Shenmue too much importance in Sony's plans, that I can agree. :-o
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ShenBlue92 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:07 pm

I remember reading something about Until Dawn : it started with a lower budget, but after a while Sony showed a lot more interest and decided to invest more in the project.
I can see the same thing happened or to be happening with Shenmue. Maybe Sony or even Sega decided at a later point to invest a larger amount of money.
I can also see the possibility of external private investors, maybe from China. I remember that game convention in China where Suzuki presented the game; who knows, maybe some random Chinese millionare threw a load of money to YsNet :lol:

Regarding HD remastered, I spoke to a developer I personally know( I prefer not to say his name, even though he is not involved in SEGA, SONY or YsNet ), and gave me his opinions.
The quality of the project (if it's actually happening) will depend on the budget, who is working on it and if the game is emulated or reprogrammed.
His guesses are that SEGA isn't providing a high budget and it might be revealed at E3. He thinks M2 (those behind recent SEGA classic titles remastered like Outrun) could possibly be working on it alongside Okunari-san. He thinks the remastered might result in a polished emulation with 16:9 output and some improvements with controls, loads and saves, but he's hoping for a bigger budget
ShenBlue92
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:08 pm

ShenBlue92 wrote: I remember reading something about Until Dawn : it started with a lower budget, but after a while Sony showed a lot more interest and decided to invest more in the project.
I can see the same thing happened or to be happening with Shenmue. Maybe Sony or even Sega decided at a later point to invest a larger amount of money.
I can also see the possibility of external private investors, maybe from China. I remember that game convention in China where Suzuki presented the game; who knows, maybe some random Chinese millionare threw a load of money to YsNet :lol:

Let's not delve into the clouded wishful thinking from 2015. For better or worse, we know where every involved party stands with no ambiguity.

We know Sony are keeping Shenmue III at arm's length with an established marketing/publishing deal for the PS4 version, and that SEGA are not involved besides providing archive materials and licencing the IP. As far as we've been told, Shibuya Productions is the only major non-Kickstarter funding source.

Other private investors is a maybe, but not every source of money is suitable, y'know? We've already been given a golden opportunity in a rich businessman like Cedric Biscay who loves the series and is content not to interfere with Yu's plans. The likelihood of finding someone like that again is slim, unless one of us wins the lottery.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueAM2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Please make sure to subscribe to the Shenmue AM2 Podcast on YouTube. We will be discussing our thoughts on the domain registration. Episode will be out within a couple weeks (hopefully sooner).

ShenmueAM2 has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
ShenmueAM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:24 am

celsowm wrote: I remember some days ago, a SEGA/Atlus guy (John Hardin) tweeted about the rumored Yakuza on Switch.

I was thinking if we could try to ask him about this "Shenmue Pack Pre-order" by twitter or even by email (John(dot)Hardin(at)atlus(dot)com)

He sounds like an asshole..
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Monkei wrote:
celsowm wrote: I remember some days ago, a SEGA/Atlus guy (John Hardin) tweeted about the rumored Yakuza on Switch.

He sounds like an asshole..

I don't read it like that. It reads like he's trying to very clear about some questoins of other platforms for SEGA games releasing soon.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sappharad » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:56 pm

fittersau wrote:
Monkei wrote:He sounds like an asshole..

I don't read it like that. It reads like he's trying to very clear about some questoins of other platforms for SEGA games releasing soon.

Same. They've been getting the PC question a lot from people, because Sony uses their "PS4 Console Exclusive" banner on box art for any game that's a PS4 console exclusive. They don't have a separate banner that says "PS4 Exclusive" on it, it's just "PS4 Console Exclusive" regardless of whether it's coming PC or Mobile as well.

The banner just means that the game is not coming out for Xbox One, Wii U, Switch, Dreamcast, or any other console platform. It does not explicitly mean because it's not coming to other consoles that a game is coming to PC. He needs to be explicit because people don't understand.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:52 pm

They're probably just going off of the getgame 'leaks', but a "Shenmue 1 & 2 Pack" has popped up on this website too: https://www.alza.co.uk/shenmue-1-2-pack ... 661678.htm

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, ShenGCH
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:13 am

Jibby wrote: They're probably just going off of the getgame 'leaks', but a "Shenmue 1 & 2 Pack" has popped up on this website too: https://www.alza.co.uk/shenmue-1-2-pack ... 661678.htm

I've just sent them an e-mail asking if they can confirm whether they received their information from SEGA or another official source, so we shall see.

EDIT:

Here's the response I received from Alza's customer care:

Hello,

Thank you for your email. This does exist, we are waiting for our buyer to get them in stock from the manufacturer, if you want to know exactly when it will be in stock just click on the button WATCH and just put in your email so you can get notification when the item will be in stock.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kindest Regards,

Still not 100% confirmation, nor any solid evidence, that the collection really does exist, so I guess we just play the waiting game 'til something substantial emerges?

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Jibby
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue