Muecas comic in English: Training in Guilin

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Muecas comic in English: Training in Guilin

Postby Switch » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:55 am

Here's a translation of one of the comic strips that used to be up on the official Japanese Shenmue.com site (before it was taken down). The comic was drawn by the Muecas team, which consisted of actual Shenmue project members.

For background notes (e.g. about Segata Sanshiro and the TV ads he was in), the full blog post can be read here:

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... uilin.html

Switch has received 3 thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado, ShenGCH, Yokosuka
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Muecas comic in English: Training in Guilin

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:13 am

What in the actual fuck...

:lol:
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiyuu » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Switch wrote: The comic was drawn by the Muecas team, which consisted of actual Shenmue project members.

Actually, アニィたかはし (Anii Takahashi) who drew the comic was not an official Shenmue project team member, but one of us, Shenmue fans. Muecas-dan was formed by the official Shenmue team to communicate with fans and the fans who contributed to their web magazine were acknowledged as Muecas-dan members. Anii-san was the first fan who got the honor and awarded #011 as a Muecas-dan member. Myself got #023, btw. ;-)

Here's the last Muecas magazine and you can find the member list in the left column:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130829034 ... uecas.html

Anii-san who was an amateur cartoonist back then now has become professional and even published a comic book like this:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/as ... /tavel-22/

Kiyuu has received 2 thanks from: Switch, Yokosuka
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Switch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:10 am

Kiyuu wrote:
Switch wrote: The comic was drawn by the Muecas team, which consisted of actual Shenmue project members.

Actually, アニィたかはし (Anii Takahashi) who drew the comic was not an official Shenmue project team member, but one of us, Shenmue fans. Muecas-dan was formed by the official Shenmue team to communicate with fans and the fans who contributed to their web magazine were acknowledged as Muecas-dan members. Anii-san was the first fan who got the honor and awarded #011 as a Muecas-dan member. Myself got #023, btw. ;-)

Here's the last Muecas magazine and you can find the member list in the left column:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130829034 ... uecas.html

Anii-san who was an amateur cartoonist back then now has become professional and even published a comic book like this:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/as ... /tavel-22/

Thanks Kiyuu for the clarification on that, that's really interesting.

Wow, so you were an official Muecas team member! Did you also have things published on the pages, and have interaction with the Shenmue project team? If you did, would love to see / hear about those.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiyuu » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:07 am

Switch wrote:Wow, so you were an official Muecas team member! Did you also have things published on the pages, and have interaction with the Shenmue project team? If you did, would love to see / hear about those.

Since I'm not an artist like Anii-san or most of the fellow Mucas-dan members, my contributions were mainly asking questions like the ones in the following issues:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100115010 ... s/028.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20110910053 ... s/030.html
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Switch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Ha ha, how great to have been able to interact with the staff members like that. It's probably a part of the Shenmue history that non-Japanese fans may not be so familiar with.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiyuu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:22 am

Switch wrote: Ha ha, how great to have been able to interact with the staff members like that. It's probably a part of the Shenmue history that non-Japanese fans may not be so familiar with.

Japanese Shenmue fans had been interacting with the Shenmue team even before the release of the first game. The Shenmue BBS was opened for the fans one year prior to the release of the game, which was often visited by the staff members to interact with. Apparently, the development team had been heeding the voices on the BBS, and some of the fans dreams had been materialized in the game; feeding the cat, finding a cockroach in the kitchen. :lol: If you are interested in the history of Shenmue BBS, check out this page of Felicity-san, a legendary Shenmue fan:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Dom ... enmue/bbs/

Kiyuu has received 2 thanks from: Lan Di-sama, Let's Get Sweaty
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Kiyuu wrote:
Switch wrote: Ha ha, how great to have been able to interact with the staff members like that. It's probably a part of the Shenmue history that non-Japanese fans may not be so familiar with.

Japanese Shenmue fans had been interacting with the Shenmue team even before the release of the first game. The Shenmue BBS was opened for the fans one year prior to the release of the game, which was often visited by the staff members to interact with. Apparently, the development team had been heeding the voices on the BBS, and some of the fans dreams had been materialized in the game; feeding the cat, finding a cockroach in the kitchen. :lol: If you are interested in the history of Shenmue BBS, check out this page of Felicity-san, a legendary Shenmue fan:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Dom ... enmue/bbs/

Always appreciate your comments, Kiyuu. Do your fellow Japanese fans from back in the day still communicate with each other since the demise of the BBS? I would hope that the long-awaited announcement of Shenmue III re-ignited the fanbase somewhat, and that there's still a place for you all to chat.

Here's hoping Shenmue III lives up to its predecessors. Quite honestly, I still can't quite believe it's actually happening. Might have to purchase PS4 sooner rather than later so that I'm ready for it when the time comes.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiyuu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: Always appreciate your comments, Kiyuu. Do your fellow Japanese fans from back in the day still communicate with each other since the demise of the BBS? I would hope that the long-awaited announcement of Shenmue III re-ignited the fanbase somewhat, and that there's still a place for you all to chat.

The pleasure is mine, Lan Di-sama! :D
As the Shenmue BBS was irreplaceable, Japanese fans no longer have a place to get together, unfortunately. I see some of the fans are still active on SNS, though, and keep supporting Shenmue individually.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:20 am

Always great to see Kiyuu post.

Have you experienced much excitement for Shenmue 3? Do you think once it is released, there will be a lot of new fans?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiyuu » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Peter wrote: Always great to see Kiyuu post.

Have you experienced much excitement for Shenmue 3? Do you think once it is released, there will be a lot of new fans?

Always great to see your extraordinary devotion to Shenmue. Congrats on the dream dinner with Yu-san!

At the announcement of Shenmue III, I busied myself in checking various Japanese websites and SNS to find many old Shenmue pals coming back online for celebration. Now, the excitement period is over and we're calmly watching over the progress. As more and more people in Japan play games on the smart phone these days, we can't expect a lot of new fans, I'm afraid.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Return to Shenmue