Nozomi's mom?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Nozomi's mom?

Postby Jesse » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm doing my yearly playthrough of the Shenmue series and I think there's a mistake with Nozomi's mom? Granted I could've missed dialogue before at the flower shop about it but this is the first time I've ever noticed it.

When you get the call from Nozomi at your house to meet at the park. She tells Ryo how she feels. She says that her mom called from Canada and her dad is insisting that Nozomi return home.

When you meet her again at the park and she's crying she says that her mom will stay here in Japan but she'll have to go to Canada. Is that a mis translation or a minor plot inconvenience?

Jesse has received a thanks from: Mr357
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Re: Nozomi's mom?

Postby Mr357 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:08 pm

I've wondered about that myself. Maybe her mom flew to Japan around the time that Nozomi left.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Jesse » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Mr357 wrote: I've wondered about that myself. Maybe her mom flew to Japan around the time that Nozomi left.

Could be. I find it intriguing Maybe she flew in to help Nozomi pack but I never remember talking to Nozomi at the shop or phone and her mentioning it before. I also forgot to add during the 2nd meeting that Nozomi also mentions; that her mom is staying because it's their family home plus to help out the grandmother. The wording to me is that she's always been here in Japan and is not moving with Nozomi cause of the house and family. But in the 1st meeting she specifically states that mom called from Canada and dad is insisting she move to Canada.
Jesse

Postby BigTuna » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:19 am

Is it possible we're all missing a scene?
BigTuna

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:59 am

Jesse wrote: I'm doing my yearly playthrough of the Shenmue series and I think there's a mistake with Nozomi's mom? Granted I could've missed dialogue before at the flower shop about it but this is the first time I've ever noticed it.

When you get the call from Nozomi at your house to meet at the park. She tells Ryo how she feels. She says that her mom called from Canada and her dad is insisting that Nozomi return home.

When you meet her again at the park and she's crying she says that her mom will stay here in Japan but she'll have to go to Canada. Is that a mis translation or a minor plot inconvenience?

A mis-translation I think.
She probably means her grandmother (with who she's staying with) will remain in Japan.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jesse » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
Jesse wrote: I'm doing my yearly playthrough of the Shenmue series and I think there's a mistake with Nozomi's mom? Granted I could've missed dialogue before at the flower shop about it but this is the first time I've ever noticed it.

A mis-translation I think.
She probably means her grandmother (with who she's staying with) will remain in Japan.

It's more than likely a mistake but now I think I missed some piece of dialogue about nozomi saying oh btw mom's back in town to him or something to that effect.

Here's part of a transcript of the 2nd night:

Nozomi is embarrassed cause Ryo sees her crying

Ryo - problem with your mom?

Nozomi - yes she'll stay here but she says i have to go there

Ryo - I see

Nozomi - it's her family home and she's worried about Grandma so she's staying

Ryo says you don't want to be with your father and nozomi goes into how she doesn't want to leave Ryo etc.

Likely Nozomi's mom came back to Japan to help her pack and is planning on staying to help out the grandmother and the business while nozomi returns to Canada. I'm just intrigued that we the player don't get that conversation about her mom being back and what nozomi thinks or feels about it.
Jesse

Postby RyoShenmue » Tue May 16, 2017 2:29 am

I love his responses basically to anything. She could be crying that her mom just died and he would still say "I see..." Classic! :rotflmao:
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Return to Shenmue