I think my Dreamcast is dying...

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

I think my Dreamcast is dying...

Postby Centrale » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:59 pm

Playing back through Shenmue, I've made it to Dec. 8th and I'm running into some problems. Following the soccer ball fight in Sakuragaoka, I went to the nearby convenience store. The game froze up as I turned to leave... I could just see Ryo starting toward the door and the picture froze. Then after a minute or two, the music kind of fizzled out. No way to get it going again. Then this evening I played through the same events and went into Dobuita, asking around about the location of the Russiya China Shop. While leaving the barber shop near the arcade, the game crashed on the loading screen going back out to the street. Anybody had similar problems who knows what might be going wrong with the console?
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: I think my Dreamcast is dying...

Postby sand4fish » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 pm

I've seen this happening before. If the problem is not the discs themselves then the two most common problems are either your Dreamcast is overheating because of clogged dust in the fan compartment or the laser lens needing some cleaning. Try rubbing isopropyl alcohol for the latter. I'm confident it will fix the issue.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: I think my Dreamcast is dying...

Postby drunkensailor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:43 am

Centrale wrote: Playing back through Shenmue, I've made it to Dec. 8th and I'm running into some problems. Following the soccer ball fight in Sakuragaoka, I went to the nearby convenience store. The game froze up as I turned to leave... I could just see Ryo starting toward the door and the picture froze. Then after a minute or two, the music kind of fizzled out. No way to get it going again. Then this evening I played through the same events and went into Dobuita, asking around about the location of the Russiya China Shop. While leaving the barber shop near the arcade, the game crashed on the loading screen going back out to the street. Anybody had similar problems who knows what might be going wrong with the console?

you need to open up your dreamcast and dial back or forwards the diode on the gd-rom drive. probably need to dial it up just a little with a screwdriver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTgpWACBYYw

here check this out
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to Shenmue