BluePoint Games at work on a "Classic" remake.

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

BluePoint Games at work on a "Classic" remake.

Postby Kiske » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:31 am

The name I read the most on the internet is Demon's Souls, but do you think there is the slightest chance it would be Shenmue?

About Bluepoint

Bluepoint Games is located in Austin, TX, and we specialize in technologically innovative console video games and video game engine development. We are committed to the highest quality gaming experiences.

With roots in original development, our team has remastered award-winning PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360 classics in high(er) definition for leading consoles (God of War Collection, ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Flower, Gravity Rush Remastered, Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection). We also provided our expertise to co-development efforts on Sony’s PlayStation All-Stars (developed on the Bluepoint Engine) and Respawn’s Titanfall.

We are passionately at work remaking a classic for current-gen game systems, growing our capabilities as a team and raising the bar for what fans anticipate from us.

http://bluepointgames.com/employment-op ... rogrammer/

Kiske has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, FlagshipFighter, John Doom
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: BluePoint Games at work on a "Classic" remake.

Postby Peter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:01 am

If it was announced BluePoint were remaking Shenmue, i would literally drop trou wherever I am and begin indecent sexual acts in plain view of the general public.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Kiske
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 am

I have absolutely no doubt you would! :king:

PS. A few assumptions from "Playstation Universe":
http://www.psu.com/news/32796/bluepoint ... on-classic
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:33 am

Great find! There are a few Shenmue HD rumours lurking around that have me excited, but this one I'm going to have some apprehension towards. Mainly because I think there are other developers that can do a great job of this port but whoever ends up doing it doesn't really mean as much to me versus how it's actually done (e.g. quality/care/features) so i'm going to lean more towards this perhaps being something else like Demon Souls rather than Shenmue.

...but his wording is striking. Is Demon's Souls really considered a classic? It probably is, I just have a harder time seeing last gen stuff as old when it comes to ports :/. But if it was, wouldn't be Sony exclusive? He wording here is 'current game systems' so surely it would imply more platforms... right? Kiske, you might be onto something here!

Regardless of whether or not Shenmue is the outcome of Bluepoint's secret project, I look forward to finding out what it is! :-)

I think if it really is bluepoint, that would be a big win for people who are fans of those devs work and will do great for marketing the game as well.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Peter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Kiske wrote: I have absolutely no doubt you would! :king:

Given that Shinobi from the Gaf actually tweeted out this article with an emoji more or less confirms it as a potential tease. Considering how the article refers to Shenmue multiple times, i would give it a 1 in 3 chance along with Demon Souls and Infamous. It's things like this which genuinely get my interest and excitement going, but also carry the equal chance of getting burned by it hard.

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Peter wrote:
Kiske wrote: I have absolutely no doubt you would! :king:

Given that Shinobi from the Gaf actually tweeted out this article with an emoji more or less confirms it as a potential tease. Considering how the article refers to Shenmue multiple times, i would give it a 1 in 3 chance along with Demon Souls and Infamous. It's things like this which genuinely get my interest and excitement going, but also carry the equal chance of getting burned by it hard.

Thanks for clarifying your hype, you've gotten me more excited now! :rotflmao: I'd say let's notch that up to 2 in 3 chances, just because he said "current platforms" (even though that could still mean nothing more than disguising the intended platform (if exclusive)).

While no doubt we'd all just be happy about getting a straight port to re-experience the game just as we did during the DC days, I genuinely think bluepoint is the best fit for taking things a step further and making additions (such as 8-way walking/running) because they have that level of expertise and would also be willing to take on that challenge no doubt (that titanfall port on the xbox 360 is crazy good, as is their work on Ico/SotC). This would no doubt be especially beneficial for newcomers to the franchise who want an easier time getting into the game.

A quick google search of shinobi602 brought a few old neogaf threads from 2014, very interesting to read the state of mind members were in about shenmue pre-e3 2015. So amazing we got this far, proud of all youz guyz... :heart: :mrgreen:

Still though, must regain composure and not let the hype consume me.. c'mon flagship, you're a professional
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Remaining cautious. BluePoint are great at what they do, but I'd be surprised if they knocked Blitworks out of the way to work on Shenmue HD.

Blitworks has an existing relationship with SEGA, have already worked on porting Dreamcast games, and even pitched the idea of remasters from that era using a Shenmue prototype.

Also - considering BluePoint's history with Sony on remasters, I'm more willing to believe this is Demon's Souls than Shenmue right now.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm the same, but i am comparing the term "classic" on its own and I'd have to give that to Shenmue over DS. Also, it seems the PSU article slapped on the "PlayStation" to the classic statement from the Bluepoint feature. I dunno, but i know i want it to be true more so than anything, and that's what makes it dangerous. Even if we get a HD announcement from another developer, i now have it in my brain how fucking awesome it would be if Bluepoint were developing it.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:43 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:...but his wording is striking. Is Demon's Souls really considered a classic? It probably is, I just have a harder time seeing last gen stuff as old when it comes to ports :/.

If we're going to dissect the language, then we'd be remiss to not question the phrase "project to please the masses." Shenmue's fan base, whilst larger than many gave it credit for, most commonly tends to be described in terms of passion rather than size. Few would really consider Shenmue fans at this point to be "the masses" - though of course we hope that these remasters will help towards changing that (whoever makes them).

Let's Get Sweaty has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, MiTT3NZ, Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote:...but his wording is striking. Is Demon's Souls really considered a classic? It probably is, I just have a harder time seeing last gen stuff as old when it comes to ports :/.

If we're going to dissect the language, then we'd be remiss to not question the phrase "project to please the masses." Shenmue's fan base, whilst larger than many gave it credit for, most commonly tends to be described in terms of passion rather than size. Few would really consider Shenmue fans at this point to be "the masses" - though of course we hope that these remasters will help towards changing that (whoever makes them).

I thought just as you did at first too, but then I remember that things are a bit different post-E3 2015. Shenmue 3's kickstarter is still the highest project backed in the video game software category, and I'm not sure how most company's would see this, but I wouldn't think a user-base of 100,000+ (including the slacker backer) is small, that's a lotta people to please if we do get that remaster. And I know the verbiage is a little messy but I agree with what Peter said prior, I don't necessarily think this is a PS exclusive, outside of the article-slant I'm just going to go with the dev on linkedin's words "current platforms". Also, perhaps Sony could have recommended to SEGA for them to handle the ports? (considering the amount of work necessary to put in especially if they wanted things modernised?)

Blergh, too much speculation :-p Either way, I just want it, whether it's by Blitworks/Bluepoint/Gearbox/Zinga, I just want it! :P

(Also, as nice as it is to get these 'nudges' about Shenmue HD, I think anything out there that's pretty much a dead-cert leak (like with street fighter 5, shadows of war, dead rising 4) would negatively impact the weight of this announcement at E3 (or any other venue/outlet) it's gutting when it happens especially with all the effort that goes into them, hopefully it doesn't happen.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:20 pm

By using archive.org time machine I noticed they were already talking about some new project, back in February 2016.
Although at the time they referred to a Sony Classic.

Any idea who might be the "industry leading developer" they were teaming up with on a Blockbuster franchise?
Naughty Dogs? (I found this phrase back in June 2015 too... even prior the Shenmue 3 kickstarter end)

Demon's Souls seems the most obvious possibility at this point, but that doesn't necessarily exclude BluePoint to be working on some other project, right?

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:37 pm

Kiske wrote: By using archive.org time machine I noticed they were already talking about some new project, back in February 2016.
Although at the time they referred to a Sony Classic.

Any idea who might be the "industry leading developer" they were teaming up with on a Blockbuster franchise?
Naughty Dogs? (I found this phrase back in June 2015 too... even prior the Shenmue 3 kickstarter end)

Demon's Souls seems the most obvious possibility at this point, but that doesn't necessarily exclude BluePoint to be working on some other project, right?

Well, that calms our (and by our i mean mostly me) wild speculations! :D Thank you! Bring it on Blitworks!
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Bluepoint Games are the diamond standard when it comes to ports and remasters, so I would be overjoyed to hear they're working on remastering (or "remaking" as the information states, even though remasters would be preferred) the two games - their work on Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Titanfall is flawless as far as I'm concerned - but if what they're working on really is a "Sony classic," both figuratively and literally, it's probably not Shenmue.

My money is on Metal Gear Solid or Demon's Souls.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby John Doom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:34 pm

The MGS HD Collection wasn't "bug free" :D (http://thesnakesoup.org/forums/Thread-M ... as-no-bugs), but of course I'd take their works over any other ****** remaster other developers did :\
That said, even though BluePoint has worked especially on Sony's franchises, they mentioned it's for "current-gen game systems", so I think that whatever title they're working on, it's probably not an old Sony exclusive (or, at least, not anymore). There's a chance it could be a Sega title, maybe Shenmue, but I can't put my finger on it just yet, we really don't have enough informations.
Anyway, I think it's safe to assume that it's not Metal Gear Solid: even though its style and attention to details are great to this day, its technology is just too dated to even consider a simple remaster (unless they use the GC remake, but that is owned by Nintendo and it's also not very popular among fans).

John Doom has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:12 pm

John Doom wrote: The MGS HD Collection wasn't "bug free" :D (http://thesnakesoup.org/forums/Thread-M ... as-no-bugs), but of course I'd take their works over any other ****** remaster other developers did :\
That said, even though BluePoint has worked especially on Sony's franchises, they mentioned it's for "current-gen game systems", so I think that whatever title they're working on, it's probably not an old Sony exclusive (or, at least, not anymore). There's a chance it could be a Sega title, maybe Shenmue, but I can't put my finger on it just yet, we really don't have enough informations.
Anyway, I think it's safe to assume that it's not Metal Gear Solid: even though its style and attention to details are great to this day, its technology is just too dated to even consider a simple remaster (unless they use the GC remake, but that is owned by Nintendo and it's also not very popular among fans).

They stated they're working on a "remake," implying it's being built from scratch, which is something they've never done before, though as for whether they actually mean remake or remaster remains to be seen. Is it safe to bet on an E3 announcement?

In regards to Metal Gear Solid HD Collection possibly not being as bug-free (had to chuckle at your pun, by the way :)) as would be preferred, can you name a single issue you encountered that soured the experience from a technical perspective?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Next

Return to Shenmue