BluePoint Games at work on a "Classic" remake.

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: BluePoint Games at work on a "Classic" remake.

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:40 pm

Sappharad wrote:I think they'd probably do fine if they had access to the original code, assets, and Sega gave them the right requirements when it comes to improvements they could make that wouldn't damage the original experience.

Sorry to cut out the rest of your post, but you kind of throw your own argument onto the fire with this bit.

Blitworks' remit is whatever SEGA gives them to work with. As far as we can tell, SEGA wants to go whole hog on Shenmue/Shenmue II. If SEGA are serious about doing it right and give Blitworks the keys to the castle, then what's the worry?

Why is Jet Set Radio emulated? Because that's what Blitworks pitched. Why did they pitch that? Because, solicited or not, it's unlikely SEGA would give them access to the source code without a deal already being made. Why didn't SEGA give them access to the source code after a deal was made? Because an emulator was the cheaper, quicker, and easier option.

The Jet Set Radio remaster was a turning point for SEGA's approach to re-releasing Dreamcast games and a marked improvement in quality. Who cares if Blitworks' unreleased Sonic CD was nixxed? It's just another example of SEGA starting to take a more serious and quality-focused approach to their back-catalogue.

What's different 5 years later? A lot of things. Shenmue is actually back and SEGA have more incentive than ever to up their remaster game. Actual ports rather than emulators are now becoming a beneficial longer term investment decision thanks to console architecture drifting closer to PC, should they need to be released again later down the line. Crucially, the desire to do Shenmue HD is coming from within SEGA and is not the result of a company pitching the idea to them.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:06 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Sappharad wrote:I think they'd probably do fine if they had access to the original code, assets, and Sega gave them the right requirements when it comes to improvements they could make that wouldn't damage the original experience.

Sorry to cut out the rest of your post, but you kind of throw your own argument onto the fire with this bit.

Blitworks' remit is whatever SEGA gives them to work with. As far as we can tell, SEGA wants to go whole hog on Shenmue/Shenmue II. If SEGA are serious about doing it right and give Blitworks the keys to the castle, then what's the worry?

Why is Jet Set Radio emulated? Because that's what Blitworks pitched. Why did they pitch that? Because, solicited or not, it's unlikely SEGA would give them access to the source code without a deal already being made. Why didn't SEGA give them access to the source code after a deal was made? Because an emulator was the cheaper, quicker, and easier option.

I don't think that final paragraph destroyed my point, which was mostly to curb the over-enthusiasm towards Blitworks past efforts. They haven't done a true port of something for Sega from the original sources before. Sonic CD 2011 doesn't count because it was designed from the start to be multi-platform and they didn't have to deal with translating platform specific APIs for that. It doesn't have anything close to the complexity of an actual 3D game. In other words, their previous work just can't be used as a valid example of why they'd be able to do a better job than any other developer that Sega could choose.

Didn't they say in an interview at some point that they also pitched Sega an emulated Shenmue? I do agree that it's up to Sega to give whoever ports it the right materials to do a good job. I'm just invalidating Blitworks past work as arguments in favor of them.

Sorry for the confusion.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Telekill » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:00 pm

I would love it if BluePoint Games did the Shenmue remasters. They did an incredible job on the Uncharted trilogy to the point where Drake's Fortune was noticeably better having been upgraded to Uncharted 2 graphic models and they took the initiative to get rid of the ridiculous motion controls for grenade throwing.

I am holding out hope that a Shenmue HD Collection will be announced at E3 but after E3 my hopes will be completely gone. It's kind of a now or never moment for Sega in regards to Shenmue remasters.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Ziming » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:12 pm

In my opinion we're probably only going to get a HD remaster by either Blit Software or that other studio based in the UK who have ported Bayonetta and Valkyria Chronicles to PC.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Anonymous81 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:25 am

Apparently "the masses" has been changed in the gentleman in question's profile.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-dalton-5161252/

It now instead says:

Another amazing UNANNOUNCED project to please those speculating about product announcements.

Take your pick as to whether that's an indication of the relative popularity of the IP they're talking about, whatever it may be... ;)

Anonymous81 has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, John Doom
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby John Doom » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:16 am

Hopefully it's the game we're waiting for. In any case, I'd say this Dalton is a funny guy :D

John Doom has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:19 am

Anonymous81 wrote: Apparently "the masses" has been changed in the gentleman in question's profile.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-dalton-5161252/

It now instead says:

Another amazing UNANNOUNCED project to please those speculating about product announcements.

Take your pick as to whether that's an indication of the relative popularity of the IP they're talking about, whatever it may be... ;)

Seems to mean it's indeed a game people have put on their "possible list"...
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:58 am

If you're reading this, Mr Dalton, blink once for yes or twice for no.

Then write on your profile how many times you blinked, otherwise we won't know, obviously.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, John Doom, Kiske
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:05 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: If you're reading this, Mr Dalton, blink once for yes or twice for no.

Then write on your profile how many times you blinked, otherwise we won't know, obviously.

Don't get mad, I wrote to him on Twitter.

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:16 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: If you're reading this, Mr Dalton, blink once for yes or twice for no.

*Blinks Twice* Ahh, Yes, Yes then! Classic South Park episode
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:18 am

He's probably reading the thread over on Gaf. A lot more people talking about it over there. I'd doubt he is reading Shenmue boards

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:26 am

That reddit thread is incredibly divisive on what franchise it could be. There was a comment from one individual that I really liked, mentioning that of all speculated games, shenmue HD is the only one with the most logical/highest chances of happening largely because of purpose/timing. With Sony taking care of marketing Shenmue 3, what better means are there of promoting it then giving a great reason for many to be able to revisit the first two games in quality fashion? It's within their best interest to do this especially if they plan on topping E3 2015.

Obviously we have our own reasons/potential evidence as to why that may not be the case. I don't think that person from reddit is wrong, but it's just as much 'logical' for someone else to do the port :p. I just hope whoever is funding this (sega/sony) that they don't skimp out by giving it to the devs that offer the cheapest rate. It deserves some tlc over the treatment something like crazy taxi on xbla had gotten. Personally, of all the games people have brought up (and Ill try not to be biased here) shenmue could use it the most! I think a lot of what other people have mentioned are games that were within the HD era. Spyro... hmm possibly but that sounds too soon after Crash Bandicoot remake (+ it seems more likely it would be those same devs because that game benefits from a remake than remaster also). Lastly, can we just leave demon souls behind for a bit, wouldn't those fans be more excited for something along the lines of bloodborne 2?

Nice for the guy Dalton to reply though, but now he's only gone and stoked the flames more-so than prior :-p

#AddingGasolineOnANonSituation xD

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:13 am

Peter wrote:I'd doubt he is reading Shenmue boards

That depends. If I was working on a Sonic & Knuckles remaster I'd be reading Sonic boards... :-" :P
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:21 am

Ha, i played the role of the hype train coach conductor for manys a year and got it in the neck. I'm now going down the negative bastard route. I was a babyface for long enough, I'm now turning heel :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:03 am

I volunteer as hype train coach conductor for this ride...
I have strong bones (I hope) :P
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue