Shenmue Game Gear Box Art

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue Game Gear Box Art

Postby Telekill » Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Hey all!

I decided to be creative and come up with box art for what Shenmue may have been like if it were on Sega Game Gear. Why do this? I love my Game Gear and would have totally bought this. Sadly, Game Gear wasn't supported for nearly long enough IMO.

I did not create any of the art but merely put it together to make one piece. A hypothetical look at what the box art would have been like.

I had saved a Tiff that looked a lot better but Photobucket doesn't allow Tiffs. Let me know what you think. Also, I did this in PowerPoint just to see if I could.

Telekill has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, Mr357, nskachu
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Re: Shenmue Game Gear Box Art

Postby RyoShenmue » Fri May 19, 2017 10:40 pm

I was going to really applaud you since I was looking at the art before actually reading the description. However you did admit to not making the art with out anyone questioning, although I am still curious who had made it. But you did put it together nicely and I assume it was you who put the description on the box itself. That was quite good as well.

But as far as the GameGear is concerned, just not my cup of tea. I loved the original Sonic on the Genesis. Due to how and where I was living at the time, my father bought me the GG and the Sonic came with it. It was my only game, beating it many times, but I was disappointed it did not have a single loop in the entire game. That was a Sonic staple. Although it was implemented in later Sonic games on the GG.

But I had played other GG games from other people and most were not that good. Some what recently I got the Game Gear/Master System portable. Half the games were blah, but the other half were quite decent and some were surprisingly darn good.

A shame this was never made on the GG. I wonder how it would of played out.
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat May 20, 2017 5:17 am

Sonic 1 MS > Sonic 1 MD

The actual Game Gear version was restricted though, by the 2D equivalent of a shorter "draw distance" and the comical ease with which the first boss can be defeated before he even tries to attack.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Telekill » Sat May 20, 2017 7:40 am

RyoShenmue wrote: I was going to really applaud you since I was looking at the art before actually reading the description. However you did admit to not making the art with out anyone questioning, although I am still curious who had made it. But you did put it together nicely and I assume it was you who put the description on the box itself. That was quite good as well.

I did a Google search for Shenmue Pixel Art and found that someone had created Ryo as he appears in two of the "screen shots". There was no background so I found some other Japanese-esq pixel art done by others as well. I don't know who made them but I know not to take credit where it isn't due.

I overlaid the Ryo pixel art onto the other pixel art to make what looks like a screen shot from what a hypothetical Game Gear version would have looked like. In all honesty, the backgrounds wouldn't have looked as good as they appear in these mock-ups.

I did create the description on the back based off of the N. American Dreamcast version of the game; altering it for what the Game Gear may have been capable of doing. I also piece-mealed many box arts to make this one. The bar code on the back for instance, is the actual bar code for the N. American Dreamcast version of Shenmue.

RyoShenmue wrote:But as far as the GameGear is concerned, just not my cup of tea. I loved the original Sonic on the Genesis. Due to how and where I was living at the time, my father bought me the GG and the Sonic came with it. It was my only game, beating it many times, but I was disappointed it did not have a single loop in the entire game. That was a Sonic staple. Although it was implemented in later Sonic games on the GG.

But I had played other GG games from other people and most were not that good. Some what recently I got the Game Gear/Master System portable. Half the games were blah, but the other half were quite decent and some were surprisingly darn good.

I had Sonic 2 come with my Game Gear and I later went back on got the original, buying it from a friend. I have five of the Sonic games released on Game Gear and loved most of them. The first Sonic game on the system doesn't hold up to the others.

All in all, I have around 22-24 Game Gear games still ranging from Sonic to Jurassic Park to Streets of Rage. Some great experiences but I agree that when you take off the nostalgia glasses, the games don't hold up well. I replayed Jurassic Park when Jurassic World was about to release in theaters and beat it in 30 minutes. Still fun, but I remember spending hours upon hours in that game alone when I was a kid.

RyoShenmue wrote:A shame this was never made on the GG. I wonder how it would of played out.

Yeah, there are a few games that I would have loved to see on Game Gear. I feel that a Ninja Turtles game would have been great but it never happened. Given that the Game Gear ended production around 1997, if Sega had decided to make a Game Gear version of Shenmue, it would have made it one of the last releases on the handheld as it was 1997 that production switched to Dreamcast from Saturn if I remember right.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby RyoShenmue » Mon May 22, 2017 1:40 am

It seems that the graphics or sprites were overly zoomed in or just hard to see for most of the games I played on the GG.  I can not remember them all, but one Sonic game in particular had that problem if being too zoomed in. Columns as I recall was just hard to see.

But the Game Boy also suffered the same fate in some of their games.  Metroid 2 and the Castlevania game with the female are the ones I can remember off the top of my head too zoomed in.  I think Super Mario Land 2 was close to it, but still fun to play.  The original Super Mario Land 1 had the opposite problem of being too zoomed out.

Regardless thinking back on it, as much as I loved Shenmue 1, I do not think it would have been very good on the GG.  Shenmue was about realistic exploration, fighting, simulation, etc.  Exploring the city and talking to it's people.  That could not of been replicated on the GG, Genesis and I hardly assume to it's best ability on the Saturn.

But perhaps Shenmue on Dreamcast spoiled me and had I not played that first perhaps I could of liked a majorly dumbed down version on the GG.  But I can tell you the Resident Evil 2 on Tiger's handheld Game.Com was horrible.
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon May 22, 2017 5:48 am

RyoShenmue wrote:But I can tell you the Resident Evil 2 on Tiger's handheld Game.Com was horrible.

Thanks for the heads-up! Removing that from my Amazon Wishlist now.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby RyoShenmue » Mon May 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
RyoShenmue wrote:But I can tell you the Resident Evil 2 on Tiger's handheld Game.Com was horrible.

Thanks for the heads-up! Removing that from my Amazon Wishlist now.

http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/resid ... amecom.htm

I was having a hard time finding just one review for it, but considering it was not very good and to top it off not many owners of the Game.Com, much less RE2 purchases for it, it is no wonder.

The graphics in that first pic looks better then I remember and probably like it's bigger cousin, was to me the best part of the game when you trying to make your way to the station. But due to the wonkey movements, controls, the player pretty much stuck going left and right only, no music, no Claire and only a zombie or two, maybe three max on screen at anyone time as I can remember, this is definately not worth it.

But if you are a collector and can find it cheap, maybe for $5 or $10, especially with the box and manual, sure go ahead and pick it up. Just don't expect to dust it off too often to play it. Admittedly I did not get much further than the police station before putting it back on the shelf. I love RE2, but not this version.

But I am curious... Do you already own a Game.Com? I only have RE2 and Lights Out, but I do not hold my breath for any fantastic fun for the other games either.
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon May 22, 2017 3:37 pm

I fear you may be right. I knew I'd regret trading in my Barcode Battler.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Return to Shenmue