Why is Shenmue I better than Shenmue II

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Why is Shenmue I better than Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:18 pm

Fellas, there's a topic for if you prefer II over the original. Let the people who prefer the original have this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50860

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jesse » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:23 pm

I love both games for different reasons but if I had to choose my favorite would be chapter one. I find the majority of the characters more interesting then 2. So many of the minor characters I still think about occasionally and wonder if we will ever see them again or the town for that matter.

The magic weather and just the weather system in general is so much better but that probably has more to do with the timing of the months than anything else. Still having said that the different weather effects definitely help set the mood.

The music is wonderful in both. The small town is a character all within itself as others have stated the first one is more homely for obvious reasons and I feel comfortable and at peace. More so than the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong.

It's an unforgettable experience and I hope we return to it someday just to catch up with everyone but I sometimes have my doubts Ryo will just set up shop in China.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby RyoShenmue » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:39 am

Personally Shenmue 1 is better.  The location and feel of just... "everything" is what hooked me.   The first console I had bought in the military and it may of been the very first game of that console I can not remember. But I know it is my most played game on that console by far.

Also I am more into Japan than China. I preferred the familiarity and homey feel of it, opposed to being in a strange land. (Even as an American playing it and never having visited Japan before.) It was a big world, but you would not easily lose your way. It was realistic and fun at the same time.

Part 2 obviously took you out of the Japanese element, brought too much in all at once and near the end started to get a little too weird for me. It was so big, that instead of enjoying the wider scope and more things to see, I was actually trying just to rush through it just to see the end and play other games. I also have only beaten the game once.

Although I am looking forward to part 3, that is generally just to keep the story going and hope some how Ryo will find his way back to Japan, although that may not actually be to his home town. Also even if the game developers do not take that path, modders will on the PC version.

RyoShenmue has received a thanks from: Bluecast
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:18 am

RyoShenmue wrote: Personally Shenmue 1 is better.  The location and feel of just... "everything" is what hooked me.   The first console I had bought in the military and it may of been the very first game of that console I can not remember. But I know it is my most played game on that console by far.

Also I am more into Japan than China. I preferred the familiarity and homey feel of it, opposed to being in a strange land. (Even as an American playing it and never having visited Japan before.) It was a big world, but you would not easily lose your way. It was realistic and fun at the same time.

Part 2 obviously took you out of the Japanese element, brought too much in all at once and near the end started to get a little too weird for me. It was so big, that instead of enjoying the wider scope and more things to see, I was actually trying just to rush through it just to see the end and play other games. I also have only beaten the game once.

Although I am looking forward to part 3, that is generally just to keep the story going and hope some how Ryo will find his way back to Japan, although that may not actually be to his home town. Also even if the game developers do not take that path, modders will on the PC version.

Every word is EXACTLY how I feel and also only beat it once.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby yuripuda » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 pm

I think so too! I liked shenmue i so much better than ii. But it's just all down to personal preference. I love japanese culture. It's one of the reasons why I got hooked in the game. Ii is set in china, which I have no problem, it's just not as colorful as I. Maybe when I played shenmue ii, I expected that it's going to be better than the fist game, we had high expectations because the first installment was great already! And you know what they say, "You can't beat the original."

I apologize if there's lotsa bad grammar. English is not my first language. :oops:
yuripuda
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sims

Postby Fluffy90 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Shenmue I is left only as a nostalgia hit for me I found it quite hard to go back too and enjoy via NullDC and the only redeeming factor was my memories,even though the music and atmosphere helps carry the game it just feels so awkward,slow and even annoying,as a 10 year old kid it was mesmerizing,now it's nail-bitingly grating for me i'm afriad.

Shenmue II on the other hand is actually playable and is overall infinitely better due to it's pace,sense of scale and adventure vs Shenmue I.

Seriously i'd rather watch Shenmue the movie then have to walk around waiting to move the game along for hours on end than replay Shenmue I.
Fluffy90
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Haroon90
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Previous

Return to Shenmue