Dusting off the Dreamcast...

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Dusting off the Dreamcast...

Postby RyanHazuki » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:29 am

As a kid, I got Shenmue as soon as it came out. I ordered my European version of 2 and a boot disc as soon as it was available as well. I beat those rather quickly and every few years, I'd play through them again. I eventually moved on to emulation where I've played the games in stellar resolutions with a wireless XBOX 360 controller. Awesome.

I started to wonder how playing on the Dreamcast again would be. I bought a vga box and controller extension cables and played through 1 and it was awesome. I quickly learned that emulation spoiled me with it's short load times. The graphics weren't as tuned and smooth as I could achieve on Demul, but I didn't expect them to be.

For Shenmue 2, I wanted to do something different. I didn't care for the boot disc I had to use. I decided to try the 99 min. full English repack. This wasn't because I necessarily like the English voice work, but I did want to give it a shot anyway as I often have something else going on to some degree and wouldn't always be able to read subtitles thoroughly. So I downloaded the rips, ordered 870mb cds, burned the game, and the moment of truth... worked wonderfully. It's the US Shenmue 2 for Dreamcast we never got.

I played the game like it was my first time and entered almost every shop and room, talked to everyone, and just took it all in. It was so cool to see how very well the series and the Dreamcast itself still hold up in 2017. I don't know for certain that we are getting an HD release for 1 and 2, but if you really want to play these games again on a modern TV with a nice resolution, the experience can be had right now for little money and effort.

Share how you have been handling your Shenmue itch over the years!

* People seem to be having trouble finding 870mb cds. https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail ... 1054671801 These are the only ones that seem to be attainable that will actually burn. You'll need to use a Chinese purchaser, you'll need imgburn, and a compatible drive. It's all been covered on these forums and other places many times over. I'd burn them for people and ship them at a small cost, but I'm almost certain that's illegal.
RyanHazuki
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Re: Dusting off the Dreamcast...

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 am

Still play them on the home console, always will.

Dreamcast is just amazing and things, as you mentioned STILL look good today,

Truck_1_0_1_ has received a thanks from: RyanHazuki
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Re: Dusting off the Dreamcast...

Postby RyanHazuki » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:55 am

What kinda sucks is how inconvenient a wired controller is once you've played modern consoles for so long. Also, being able to map the controls on emulation is sweet. Luckily, the XBOX 360 and DC controller are both awesome and I don't feel like I need to get used to either one again when switching.

RyanHazuki has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
RyanHazuki

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Return to Shenmue