Postby Niowiad » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:53 am

No matter how dumb it sounds but he always looked very asian to me [-(
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Is Tom Johnson Black?

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:27 am

I am not sure what constitutes as offensive for just any little thing? I can say quite clearly do not attempt "black face" or do something stupid with the character that IS not part of the Tom essence. But yes he is more black then anything else from every observation I have ever made with a Jamaican accent. I suggest trying to be as close as possible. I mean you do have black people where you are from right? Now I need to go check out this video you speak of... I am assuming it is on YouTube right?

Jerid'sRamenShop has received a thanks from: Abraham_1
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:53 am

Yeah, but his voice actor's white.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:29 pm

You can fake a voice, (Actually I am assuming they are just going to be using sound clips so that is a mute point anyway.) you can not as easily fake a person's looks, especially in this case, unless you do black face which WOULD be offensive. Anyone remember how ridiculous white people looked trying to look Asian, either because there were no Asians around to play them or the director just did not want to use them. I am sure there may have been other reasons, the point is it was hard to watch. And I am not even going to get into the controversy with black face back in the day. Tom has to be darker than white. Not pitch black, but he has to resemble something other than white or Asian.

I just watched a video on YouTube of Tom teaching the Tornado Kick. Actually he is a lot "lighter" than I remember. But he is still darker than "white". Unless your cousin has a decent sun tan and then puts on the same clothes and wears dreads... I am not sure how realistic it will look. That is not to say it wont turn out alright. But putting so much effort into this with a passion as you have, I assume you want it as good as possible. Come to think of it, using a "black" person would actually not look like Tom either... and I have seen much darker Jamaicans... :-k

I must have missed the picture... is it posted on here some where for easy viewing? I hate clicking on links myself. Maybe you can show us your cousin as he is now and then in costume and let us decide. For all we know he may already be the Tom you need and we are just over analyzing it. #-o
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:57 pm

A day late and a dollar short, the video is already out... O_o Well this Tom looks good enough anyway so all that was for nothing. :mrgreen: Good job with the video by the way. =D>

Jerid'sRamenShop has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ys » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:46 am

I always thought that he was? Some guides mention that he's dancing to attract customers who avoid him because of his looks. I assumed that it was because he looked foreign compared to the average person in Dobuita. I always found that information a bit sad.

Elevensixty wrote:honestly I don't even like the word race anymore because, we aren't different, just minor difference in looks, and not even that much

I understand the equality reasoning but this isn't entirely correct scientifically. It's a complex topic (and controversial in politics and social studies) but genetic research (Harvard etc.) showed that differences exist beyond looks. Even after adjusting for environment and socioeconomic factors, some illnesses are more common within certain races/populations. That's why the medical community has had discussions about providing race based treatment to save more lives. Just two examples with details (in spoiler tags to keep the post shorter):

Black people (and Hispanics) have a higher risk of heart attacks/high blood pressure. Likely due to central African genes that cause bodies to retain more salt which was helpful in that climate. Potential advantages were different muscle structure and bone density.

White people (European heritage) had certain immunity boosts. Eg. there are more HIV immune people in Europe. But there's also a slightly higher risk for depression. Worrying increased survival in the harsher climate since it led to careful decisions. Both are linked to a higher amount of Neanderthal DNA. On the other hand, there's also a specific condition that only affects people from a Mediterranean background.

ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Previous

Return to Shenmue