Is Tom Johnson Black?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Is Tom Johnson Black?

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a dumb question, and if I offend anyone, then please understand that I don't teally mean to.

I'm currently working on a follow-up to our short film Shenmue: 'Suka High called Shenmue: Yokosuka Blues. The short features Goro and Tom. I posted a picture of myself and my cousin in costume, portraying Goro and Tom. I received a text not long after from my other cousin saying I should be careful posting pictures of the Tom costume because people may be offended. Keep in mind that the cousin who texted me this is the definition of "offended by EVERYTHING ".

Now, growing up with the game, I never thought Tom was a black character. American, yes. But at the very least ethnically ambiguous. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. But I just wanted to question the Shenmue fandom, as this is ultimately who we are making this film for, abd your opinons matter to me.
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: God of War

Re: Is Tom Johnson Black?

Postby Cyberman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:15 pm

He could be mixed as in having both both black and white parents. I always thought his "Jamaican" accent rather forced though.

Cyberman has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby Elevensixty » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Tom is American, originally from Jamaica. Is that right?

Basically, "American" and "Jamaican" are nationalities, not races. "Black" is a pretty relative term, depending on who you ask. Skin color may or may not be the only factor in someone being considered "black" or not.

A friend from Jamaica with very dark skin and "African features" told me once they weren't "black", which didn't make sense to me but I didn't care either so whatever. But I wasn't making a vid...

I think most of us find the variety of skin color, hair and features of people beautiful and interesting, and not a basis for social issues, (honestly I don't even like the word race anymore because, we aren't different, just minor difference in looks, and not even that much) but the world is a strange place and sadly issues exist. Portraying races in media can get volatile fast.

I haven't seen the vid yet, but I'd say, for fun, Tom or any character could be portrayed by an actor of any appearance and background, though for absolute accuracy, either (1) a Jamaican person with dreads, a cool Jamaican accent and skin tone close to Tom's, or (2) for ABSOLUTE best accuracy, a Canadian voice actor with a bad dreadlocks wig and ridiculous Jamaican accent.

Tom isn't very dark but I think his character is really cool because of portraying a "foreigner" in 80s Japan being a friend of the protagonist- it adds depth. And someone who went from Jamaica-America-Japan, entrepreneur, a real on his own, self made man with a great attitude.. Well we all love Tom don't we, I think if he's portrayed with love, anyone who's triggered is going to be triggered by anything. Tom would want you to make the vids lol

Elevensixty has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:11 pm

Despite not having prominent black facial features (e.g., Smith Bradley or Honey Johnson), yes, Tom is black, unless he 'identifies' as purple or something :lol:

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:47 pm

Thanks so much for the responses, guys!
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: God of War

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:08 am

Why does it matter if he's black or mixed? Is it about what actor you want to cast as Tom? I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've watched your first film. The Ryo actor you cast there doesn't look Japanese at all and the film is still awesome.

Don't worry about the ethnicity. Just cast your actors and I'm sure you'll do even better than the first film, which was already great.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:55 am

Your Boy Leroy wrote: Hey everyone,

I have a dumb question, and if I offend anyone, then please understand that I don't teally mean to.

I'm currently working on a follow-up to our short film Shenmue: 'Suka High called Shenmue: Yokosuka Blues. The short features Goro and Tom. I posted a picture of myself and my cousin in costume, portraying Goro and Tom. I received a text not long after from my other cousin saying I should be careful posting pictures of the Tom costume because people may be offended. Keep in mind that the cousin who texted me this is the definition of "offended by EVERYTHING ".

Now, growing up with the game, I never thought Tom was a black character. American, yes. But at the very least ethnically ambiguous. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. But I just wanted to question the Shenmue fandom, as this is ultimately who we are making this film for, abd your opinons matter to me.

Wait, you're THE Leroy Nguyen? Wow, all this time I never realised that. Glad to see a guy like you on the forums, I'm sure we all appreciate it. Loved 'Suka High by the way!

Shenmue_Legend has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:36 pm

I assume he's what you Americans call "light skinned". But yeah, it seems like he's supposed to be a stereotypical rasta black dude from the states.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:45 pm

Step forward, step again and then kick. Oooookay?

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby south carmain » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:26 pm

I have a better question: What race is Mr. Satan?

south carmain has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:42 pm

I read this as "Is Tom Johnson back?" And I was going to reply "I read this as is Tom Johnson black?" But then I re-read it and it turns out it really IS "is Tom Johnson black?"
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:23 pm

south carmain wrote: I have a better question: What race is Mr. Satan?

Devil Race.

(I know, horribly lame joke involving his last name)
Truck_1_0_1_

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:01 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Step forward, step again and then kick. Oooookay?

Unbelieeeee-vible mon'! xD

I wonder, how does the Shenmue strategy guides describe Tom? It's a shame we never got a high-poly render of Tom on the passport disc haha...
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby shredingskin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 pm

Wasn't the guy that "guessed" your name in SII also "jamaican" ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 pm

shredingskin wrote: Wasn't the guy that "guessed" your name in SII also "jamaican" ?

Barry Jones? That dude wasn't even from this fucking planet!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue