And I'm still finding new stuff on Shenmue 1! o_O

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby *Ren* » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:04 am

After reading all 6 pages all i have to say is wow......

Ive done most of the stuff anyway on my 1st try accidental....lucky me
*Ren*
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Miles Prower » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:10 pm

Haven't had a chance to play much recently, but today I got the "Fuku-san telling you where the torch is" scene for the first time (try going into the basement three times without it, and Fuku-san peers his head down and tells you where you can find a torch. It's quite amusing as I'd expect Fuku to be all like "OMG YOU DISCOVERED TEH SECRET BASEMENT1111", but he isn't really surprised lol.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby B-Man » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:27 pm

Cool! Next time I play the game I've gotta try it. I also haven't had time to play lately. When I started that game that I was going really slowly through, I realized that I wasn't gonna have time to play through the whole game that way and still do my homework and studying and crap. So, I'm gonna wait until winter break and then start again. I'll definitely make sure to try the basement thing though.

Yeah, that's pretty funny that Fuku-san didn't act surprised. I guess he just assumed all along that there was a hidden basement in the dojo. :lol:
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yukupo » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:29 pm

Fuku-San: And Ryo, the Phoenix mirror is hidden behind the wall next to the shelf that was moved.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Lan Di-sama » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:49 pm

I just read this whole topic, very interesting. I don't know how all of you can just wait for days on end...

What sucks though is my Shenmue 1 has been freezing constantly. I can't beleive I was lucky enough that my first time through the game in july it only froze once, because I would have given up like a did a whole year before. Now I'm on my 3rd time through and it's done it like 10 times. 1st disc is an ass...I need to get a new game I guess. Damn.

I wish I knew who all these people were...is there some kind of site with char profiles? Or does the one on the shenmue II board cover this game too?
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Miles Prower » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:31 am

Well, I'm working on a little project to type up all the Shenmue I profiles right now actually, it'll be online soon ^^
As for Shenmue II profiles--go to the SII board, and go to my sticky "Profiles on all 600 characters (eventually!)" topic.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Re: And I'm still finding new stuff on Shenmue 1! o_O

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:44 pm

Hopefully no one objects to my bumping of this topic, but it's one of my favorite discussions and I've remembered it quite well over the years and I was finally able to find it. Not only is it a nostalgia kicker, these hidden conversations truly highlight what makes this game so special. While I believe Shenmue 2 improved upon Shenmue 1 in an abundance of ways, it did have to leave behind a certain magic that only Yokosuka and its colorful cast of characters were able to bring to Shenmue 1.

Feel free to post any other tidbits you might dig up (or new ones you might stumble across). It's easy to get impatient and just proceed with the story, since we all could play this game with our eyes closed, but there are some really rich conversations out there if you take the time to explore a bit.

And since I've been digging around old topics in the past week or so and am at a good point to try this in my current save, here's a link to Kiyuu's topic regarding the Mr Yukawa easter egg:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10755

Lan Di-sama has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re:

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:33 am

Samanosuke Akechi wrote: well i havent found anything new in shenmueII yet.

then you didn;'t look well enough. shenmue 2 has a lot more of these conversations then shenmue 1. for instance the girls sitting outside near pigeon park at a bar when you walk near them they start talking to you every time and they really seem to dig you 8)

edit: the key is in general to ALWAYS walk in the game, don't run. I found this out some years ago and people will call you when walking nearby. there's a sushi restaurant owner out on the street when walking by he recognizes you as japanese and starts talking with you about japan. really great stuff!

drunkensailor has received 2 thanks from: Lan Di-sama, Supa
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:51 am

Lan Di-sama wrote: Hopefully no one objects to my bumping of this topic, but it's one of my favorite discussions and I've remembered it quite well over the years and I was finally able to find it. Not only is it a nostalgia kicker, these hidden conversations truly highlight what makes this game so special. While I believe Shenmue 2 improved upon Shenmue 1 in an abundance of ways, it did have to leave behind a certain magic that only Yokosuka and its colorful cast of characters were able to bring to Shenmue 1.

Feel free to post any other tidbits you might dig up (or new ones you might stumble across). It's easy to get impatient and just proceed with the story, since we all could play this game with our eyes closed, but there are some really rich conversations out there if you take the time to explore a bit.

And since I've been digging around old topics in the past week or so and am at a good point to try this in my current save, here's a link to Kiyuu's topic regarding the Mr Yukawa easter egg:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10755

No objection at all dude :) Was a trip reading through this 12(!) years later, I'd forgotten about half the stuff that I posted about :P Will have to see if I find anything new when I play through S1 again, I have my Dreamcast at home but foolishly left S1 at my parents, so will have to wait until next time I'm there to pick it up. I'm seriously itching to play both games through again, now that we know the saga is continuing :D

I completely agree with you about that 'certain magic' that S1 has, as fantastic a game as S2 is it is definitely lacking that certain something the atmosphere of Yokosuka had.

I fully intend on taking my time when I do get to play through :)

Miles Prower has received a thanks from: Supa
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Supa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:45 am

I keep learning new things as well. I've accidentally had people call me when walking, but i usually run, and don't think anything of it. Maybe I'll walk everywhere on my next playthrough.

I've always thought Shenmue I had much more of a "real" atmosphere than Shenmue II. Both are my favorite games ever, but Shenmue I won in that regard. :)

Supa has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Shadow2222 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:12 pm

This seems like a good place to ask if there are any good "compilation" videos out there that put together a lot of the easily missable dialogue with the various characters. That would be terrific if there were.
Shadow2222
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Chaikilla » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Shadow2222 wrote: This seems like a good place to ask if there are any good "compilation" videos out there that put together a lot of the easily missable dialogue with the various characters. That would be terrific if there were.

There is!

Go here for the main characters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJO_Ghn ... YZxfH3Ve4W

And for the more obscure ones visit here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj79qEU ... y9vVClbWs5
Chaikilla

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:28 pm

People know about the third fight against Nagashima and Enoki (2nd FREE Battle against them; the first is the QTE Battle, obviously) right? If you don't, the way to trigger it is by going to the apartments behind Suzume Park in Dobuita (up the steps, straight in front of you, instead of taking a right towards Sakuragaoka). That's a place where they hang out quite a bit. Also, in this final fight against Enoki (since you later fight Nagashima at the start of Disc 2) he brings along two other gang members for you to fight, who only appear in this one fight. When this exactly triggers, I can't really remember, so if anyone can help me out here, that'd be nice. Was it at the end of Disc 1? I always thought this one was really well hidden. I mean, who the heck would go there anyway?

EDIT: You have to trigger both of the previous fights against them to get this final bout. It's at night after you meet Charlie for the first time, at the Tattoo Parlor (with that short QTE fight against him).

phpBB [video]
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Shadow2222 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Chaikilla wrote:There is!

Go here for the main characters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJO_Ghn ... YZxfH3Ve4W

And for the more obscure ones visit here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj79qEU ... y9vVClbWs5

Thank you for these!!!

Also, about the Enoki scene above, I have NEVER been able to get that to trigger. I always follow the guide completely, so I'm not sure why it never occurs.
Shadow2222

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:40 pm

This isn't anything new, but I just arrived at the harbor. It was night time and raining when I got there, but as soon as I starting walking around the new warehouse no. 8, the rain changed to snow that gradually got heavier. It reminded just how awesome and atmospheric this game can be, and to think it was released in 1999!

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: Supa
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue