Extracting MT5's Works 98% with MT5Ripper

(Modding and other series related projects)

Extracting MT5's Works 98% with MT5Ripper

Postby ReeceKun » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:04 am

[Some may not know this information, some might know and simply cant do anything with the information anyway, but to be clear I will explain, I cant post links at the moment as I only have an Xbox360 to connect to the internet, for images on what I have extracted look for my 'Elder Scrolls Mod Topic'. There wasnt much interest as this forum seems to be slowly dying out due to 'general given-up-ness'. Once I have a decent PC I intend to revive the corpse of 'Shenmue'
I will try and spell this information out as clearly as possible for people who might not understand some terminolgy]

Originally It looked like MT5 ripper only worked with a few Minor MT5s

I started looking at MANY MT5's with HEX Workshop to try and understand the 'header and footer' of each MT5.

What you May Not Know , is that the PKS/PKF files are compressed files that can be simply opened with WINRAR

These PKF/PKSs contain another PKF/PKS that contain 'uncompressed' Multiple MT5's within them. ( I THINK that these are the MOST accurate GAMEPLAY models)

At First I extracted the MT5s Manually by finding the START of each MT5 and extracting chunks of data, Then I asked on Xentax for a QuickBMS script to automate the extraction and rename each extracted ' chunk' to have an MT5 extension.

The lastest MT5 ripper with Koydo's extractor works with most of these MT5 files , on the MT5s that DIDNT work , I had to try and Find the 'Footer' of the MT5 which isnt easy as there doesnt seem to be a logical pattern , sometimes just removing a few 00 00 00 00 at the end of an MT5 would make MT5 ripper work.

Whats really Annoying is that The shenmue Data contains MULTIPLE MT5s of the same data, Including the BETA stuff (some files might be the Long Distance Models 'LODs' Some Beta maps are actually better)

HEX workshop also allows comparison bettween 2 data files , I compared an MT5 ryo's backpack with an MT7 ryo's backpack (taken from shenmue2 obviously) and there is a lot of data that matches and alot that doesnt MT7s ARE technically MT5s just arranged in a strange order that I dont fully underatand. BUT this could help understand MT5/MT7 clarifications

I extracted The Race ROAD that leads to the docks , but when extracted Together it is a Messy Blob of Polygons, but if you extract each OBJ individually , it renders each one normally However there are 40,000 objects within THAT MT5 (some just individual polygons)

I am convinced that If Yazgoo was aware of this infomation (especially regarding PKF/PKS file data) that its possible MT5 ripper 'could' extract the individual MT5s and find the correct Footers.

Finally although UV data is also extracted I would be happier with the Base model data as Shenmue textures are Horrible , usually games do low poly models with good textures , shenmue did highpoly models with low poly textures.

Once again I cannot do anything at the moment as I dont have a PC and I really dont know when I will be able to afford a new one, I hope that this information helps in the meantime
x
Last edited by ReeceKun on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ReeceKun has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, shengoro86
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Re: Extracting MT5's Works 98% with MT5Ripper

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:36 am

I am linking your other post as you requested in the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46619
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Master Kyodai » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:51 am

That is interesting! Personally I am mostly interested in the architectural models of the game, did you try with some buildings/rooms? Maybe imma try myself when i get home tonight.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ReeceKun » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:10 am

Yep Ive extracted most of the hazuki house (seen in the other thread) a lot of household objects are seperate files and need to be individually extracted from the mass PKS/F, Theres a Travel agent that extracts as one-piece with objects included. The thing is this has been possible since 2011 I dont think I did anything special to stumble upon this stuff, I also find it unlikely that no-one ever extracted the PKS/PKF files before

ReeceKun has received a thanks from: shengoro86
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:37 am

Reece you definitly know your stuff.

Could I have a one on one chat with you?

I'm making a Shenmue modding knowledge base and I would like to include your notes if I can.

You will be credited on all of your work.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Fenix » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 am

How about characters and vehicles?
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby ReeceKun » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:16 pm

shengoro86 wrote: Reece you definitly know your stuff.
Could I have a one on one chat with you?
I'm making a Shenmue modding knowledge base and I would like to include your notes if I can.
You will be credited on all of your work.

I don't currently have a PC just Xbox360 at the moment(I got annoyed with the notebook I did have .. and sorta broke it lol)
I have backed everything Ive extracted on disc and usb, I just need a fancy PC to be able to render large areas.
There isnt really a whole lot more to tell, I broke the process down as clearly as I could.
MT5 in Hex begins HRCM and thats about as far as I got

I cant create programs but I do hope to learn how to identify OBJ structures within HEX and be able to extract them.
As with all my conversion projects, once I have extracted and fixed (or rebuilt) objects, they will be made freely available for others to import into other engines.

Fenix
The vehicles are also extratable .. the characters can also be extracted BUT they are clumped together and a Nightmare to piece together , However I decided that in order to RIG them Its best if they were ripped using 3Dripper, That way their proportions and UV textures will be easier to fix (they also need changing from overlapping bodyparts into single meshes)

ReeceKun has received a thanks from: Fenix
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to Community Projects