Working on Shenmue Source Updated Dec 17 '09

(Modding and other series related projects)

Please post whether you will support the project (Total votes: 24)

Yes
71%
No
8%
Don't Care
21%

Working on Shenmue Source Updated Dec 17 '09

Postby L1qu1d » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:04 pm

Myself and a couple of members are working on a remake of Shenmue 1 for the PC platform.
We are going to be using the Source engine, and are going to implement Most (if not all) of the features of Shenmue.

The stage we're at right now is modeling and Texture making. We're going to see what textures we can salvage and what textures we need to make ourselves.

Private Alpha Release is Scheduled for June 2010.

Public Alpha Release TBA

The Alpha Release will basically be a first person demonstration of Hazuki Residence and Sakuragaoka.
Unfortunately the alpha release will have absolutely no interaction, it will be just a demo of the area, and thats it. The Alpha v1.1 which should release by September 2010 should have some interaction integrated, but we're trying not to rush.

Stay tuned, Check out this map from : http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Shenmue/Maps#Sakuragaoka

To get an idea of what we're working on and how much work will be put into it.

Our website is now dealing with alot of change (namely providers)m and we'll have our info up asap.

Our Steam Page Please join!: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShenmueSource
www.icanspeakcomputer.com
Last edited by L1qu1d on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
L1qu1d
Asia Travel Representative

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Hum...
The problem with all these Shenmue projects is that...
You can't call a single one of them more than... Project.
All the power to you, if you take it seriously, and to the end or at least give it some kind of concrete shape, rather than promises to large to be delivered by yourselves.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby L1qu1d » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:34 pm

Well thats why there are 5 of us now, and 10 of us after exams are done.

At this pace, we'll be done with the interactions of the Hazuki Residance Sometime in September. The amount of small detail put in this game is sureal, its not like half life games, where you put an interaction (a door opening) here and there, the house alone will take us long enough.

By the looks of it, we will be taking out the arcade, and the Sega Saturn in the Living (Aka they will still be there, but completely non interactive)

I personally will try to have the model of Ryu, lan di and Naomi up by this Jan, at most this febuary.

The one thats giving us the most trouble is Ryo since he is the main character, we need ot make sure that he resembles the character completely.

This was originally supposed to be a UT3 engine game, but we're just not familiar enough with that engine and its tools, so we decided to go with the source. Not only that but the source engine seems to be one of the only engines that can be dummed down and still look decent. (also we beleive alot of users dont have the fire power to run the UT3 engine with as many details as shenmue.

QTE is another Sequence we might be ruling out.

Anyways we'll keep you posted!
L1qu1d

Postby dotsona » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:30 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums, interesting project you have there. You are the guys that have videos showing the dojo on the source engine correct? If so, you guys have some nice stuff. Not sure if you have been reading the other modding threads, but we have been working on ripping models from the game, perhaps they could serve as helpful assets for your project. Especially the character models. I have a few character models extracted right now that just need rigging, other than that they are pretty good high quality models.

Also, just thinking, I don't know if I would do a remake if your serious about the project, because I think it would be near impossible. Perhaps it would be a better idea to make a side story rather than attempt to remake a game that took a very long time to develop commerically. Because if you think about how many assets you would have to create it kinda gets a little crazy.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby ReeceKun » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:58 pm

This task would be an epic waste of time and energy

It would make far more sence to work on completely reverse engineering Shenmue (rip all models / animations and then use something like 'Panda3D' to code in C++ , But the source engine ?? If your gonna spend time on something like this you could make a 'shenmue like' game and make something Original instead of making a lesser bastardised copy of something we can all play with NullDC. In the end it will be worth it, Im not trying to be a downer, just realistic.
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby dotsona » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:15 pm

^^ I agree with you Reece, well said.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby LawXiu » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:57 pm

I agree to a point and it was me that voted no. The only reason to do it would be for people who can't get nullDC to run on Vista. But I still play it on Dreamcast anyway.

Plus the fact that projects never get finished.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby L1qu1d » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:07 am

The main reason we started this was to bring the game to the new generation. Our full goal would be to have the Game made, and a bonus what if Story.

We wanted shenmue to be remastered and ported to this generation consoles, unfortunately that doesn't look like its going to happen, so we thought that we'd do it ourselves.

Our INITIAL goal was to port it directly to the PSP, though we decided to take baby steps.

(To be honest though, other than a remastered version of Shenmue we would've loved to see emulation on the PSP, which remains our master goal, but like I said we're taking baby steps.)

The restriction of the PSP resources will make it hard for us to fit a decent emulated port of Shenmue. But one can only hope.

Thank You for your feedback, we're running a survery on many different sites until Dec 31st, If we see 0 interest in the project we're going to scrap the project and work on our backup project which is a horror survival zombie game (much like Resident evil and Silent hill put together).

Again Thank You!
L1qu1d

Postby Master Kyodai » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:01 am

L1qu1d wrote:The main reason we started this was to bring the game to the new generation. Our full goal would be to have the Game made, and a bonus what if Story.

We wanted shenmue to be remastered and ported to this generation consoles, unfortunately that doesn't look like its going to happen, so we thought that we'd do it ourselves.

Our INITIAL goal was to port it directly to the PSP, though we decided to take baby steps.

(To be honest though, other than a remastered version of Shenmue we would've loved to see emulation on the PSP, which remains our master goal, but like I said we're taking baby steps.)

The restriction of the PSP resources will make it hard for us to fit a decent emulated port of Shenmue. But one can only hope.

Thank You for your feedback, we're running a survery on many different sites until Dec 31st, If we see 0 interest in the project we're going to scrap the project and work on our backup project which is a horror survival zombie game (much like Resident evil and Silent hill put together).

Again Thank You!

There are videos of Shenmue on PSP through nullDC and it's simply too slow and terribly lacks memory. How do you wanna "port" a game if you don't have the source? The answer is simply "not at all". You can remake it on PSP or in half life source, but when i hear "you're busy with modeling and texturing" i seriously wonder "how long will that take"? It took like 300 professionals working on it full-time about 3 years, so even if you're good you can probably understand why most of us are sceptical.

Your project isn't really the first one to come up with this idea (Okay the idea to remake Shenmue 1 instead of Shenmue 3 is new...). We have seen projects that were far more promising and halfway done and still got abandoned. I just wanna remember everyone here about "Shenmue 2010" which already had the residence completed and Hell - it looked damn good. We have seen videos of Ryo talking and a camera flythough through the residence garden and it looked awesome.

Over the years we just had too many of such promising projects that suddenly disappeared, so i hope you can understand why the faith here is comparably low.

Also the original Shenmue isn't as bad as you think. The texture resolution is usually not "on par" and some models are quite low poly, but if you look at some of the pictures in this forum you can see "it doesn't look bad on nexGen machines". I'd suggest you play Shenmue a bit in nullDC on Fullscreen - we all played it like this already, is it that bad? Of course it would look good if you exchanged some textures with higher res ones, but ask yourself "how much better would it look?". The surprising answer is "Better, but not THAT much better".

I think the problem here is that most of us have played Shenmue 1 dozens of times on Dreamcast and even a few times on NullDC. Seeing it in slightly better resolution would be "nice", but nothing anyone would sell his soul for.

if you wanna give people here faith in what you're doing it will need more than a lil map of Sakuragaoka.

Whats also demoralizing here is the big promises "We release an alpha in June!" followed by "If we see zero interest in this project we're gonna scrap this and make a Zombie game".

Seriously, the people here at this forum have been promised so many great games (mostly Shenmue 3s) by projects like yours - even if noone has said it yet i bet everyone here already thinks "Vaporware".

If you put it like this then my advise would be to directly scrap this. Of course every single person here will be interested in any shenmue game, but seriously - we're interested in the game not in promises. We've just had too many of them already. I am a project manager by job, i do this for a living - and with an attitude like yours (if theres no interest we're gonna scrap it) you already lost before you started. You can only reach a goal if you a) Have one and B) believe in it yourself. Already being like "We might scrap it for a Zombie game" isn't the spirit that collects you faithfull fans around here.

I don't know why you posted this. Seriously. If you wanna know "Would anyone here like and play a new Shenmue?" - YES, EVERYONE. Damn we're so desperate you could post a text-based shenmue game here and have over 100 downloads.

if you just wanted to ask for someone helping with the project then better just ask like "We need someone whos good at modeling in 3D max" or "Is someone here familiar with texture creation/gathering/adaption?".

A few years ago you would have produced drama with this and people spamming like mad "cool" in this thread. But as i said earlier, we have been disappointed so many countless times by similar projects, so if you measure interest by that you will be disappointed.

If you're REALLY serious (And i have doubts about that as well when you already have a Zombie game plan in your drawer) about the game, then i'd like to ask you to showcase what your 5 or 10 men have modeled and textured so far and showcase the engine a bit in videos. That might give the long awaited "faitH" you're fishing for.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby wude » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:35 am

thanks for the maps, they're very helpful :twisted:
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby L1qu1d » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:00 am

Master Kyodai wrote:
L1qu1d wrote:The main reason we started this was to bring the game to the new generation. Our full goal would be to have the Game made, and a bonus what if Story.

Again Thank You!

There are videos of Shenmue on PSP through nullDC and it's simply too slow and terribly lacks memory. How do you wanna "port" a game if you don't have the source? The answer is simply "not at all". You can remake it on PSP or in half life source, but when i hear "you're busy with modeling and texturing" i seriously wonder "how long will that take"? It took like 300 professionals working on it full-time about 3 years, so even if you're good you can probably understand why most of us are sceptical.

Your project isn't really the first one to come up with this idea (Okay the idea to remake Shenmue 1 instead of Shenmue 3 is new...). We have seen projects that were far more promising and halfway done and still got abandoned. I just wanna remember everyone here about "Shenmue 2010" which already had the residence completed and Hell - it looked damn good. We have seen videos of Ryo talking and a camera flythough through the residence garden and it looked awesome.

Over the years we just had too many of such promising projects that suddenly disappeared, so i hope you can understand why the faith here is comparably low.

Also the original Shenmue isn't as bad as you think. The texture resolution is usually not "on par" and some models are quite low poly, but if you look at some of the pictures in this forum you can see "it doesn't look bad on nexGen machines". I'd suggest you play Shenmue a bit in nullDC on Fullscreen - we all played it like this already, is it that bad? Of course it would look good if you exchanged some textures with higher res ones, but ask yourself "how much better would it look?". The surprising answer is "Better, but not THAT much better".

I think the problem here is that most of us have played Shenmue 1 dozens of times on Dreamcast and even a few times on NullDC. Seeing it in slightly better resolution would be "nice", but nothing anyone would sell his soul for.

if you wanna give people here faith in what you're doing it will need more than a lil map of Sakuragaoka.

Whats also demoralizing here is the big promises "We release an alpha in June!" followed by "If we see zero interest in this project we're gonna scrap this and make a Zombie game".

Seriously, the people here at this forum have been promised so many great games (mostly Shenmue 3s) by projects like yours - even if noone has said it yet i bet everyone here already thinks "Vaporware".

If you put it like this then my advise would be to directly scrap this. Of course every single person here will be interested in any shenmue game, but seriously - we're interested in the game not in promises. We've just had too many of them already. I am a project manager by job, i do this for a living - and with an attitude like yours (if theres no interest we're gonna scrap it) you already lost before you started. You can only reach a goal if you a) Have one and B) believe in it yourself. Already being like "We might scrap it for a Zombie game" isn't the spirit that collects you faithfull fans around here.

I don't know why you posted this. Seriously. If you wanna know "Would anyone here like and play a new Shenmue?" - YES, EVERYONE. Damn we're so desperate you could post a text-based shenmue game here and have over 100 downloads.

if you just wanted to ask for someone helping with the project then better just ask like "We need someone whos good at modeling in 3D max" or "Is someone here familiar with texture creation/gathering/adaption?".

A few years ago you would have produced drama with this and people spamming like mad "cool" in this thread. But as i said earlier, we have been disappointed so many countless times by similar projects, so if you measure interest by that you will be disappointed.

If you're REALLY serious (And i have doubts about that as well when you already have a Zombie game plan in your drawer) about the game, then i'd like to ask you to showcase what your 5 or 10 men have modeled and textured so far and showcase the engine a bit in videos. That might give the long awaited "faitH" you're fishing for.

Like I said we only just got started, though finishing is still a long road ahead of us, we want to make sure we were doing what the public wanted.

The zombie game in our drawer has been there for a while we just never had time for it, it was originally supposed to be top view 2.5D (Diablo style if you will) but since we've been hacing time to do more we decided to expand on some other projects.

The main reason, we started quick with the shenmue project is because I lent the game to one of my friends then they all started playing and we decided that running 480i resolution on our HD TVs was just not doing it for us.

The PSP's NullDC is a very unoptimised "port" of the pc nullDC. What we wanted to to do is try to dumb down as much as we can, but it looks like the Core power and amount of ram (even though on the new psp is 64) looks to be still insuffient.

Remember we're not going to release the FULL remake of Shenmue 1 all at once, by this september all we are going to have done (hopefully) is just the actually resisdance.

Like I said u guys are right it is a project, and if school becomes too intense, we will be delayed, but we just thought we were remaking a timeless classic that deserves and HD conter part.

The PSP version is NOT planned, but is a major project we would like to make.

EDIT: I just saw your modeling comment, we will be releasing the RYO model and (hopefully) Lan di by the end of Jan 2010, which can be imported to Gary's mod:)
L1qu1d

Postby LawXiu » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:19 am

Master Kyodai wrote:

Again Thank You!

I'm actually a bit shocked. I expect most people here to laugh the next time a new project comes up but not you. I thought the point of the mod forum was for people to use any models in their projects. And now admin is having a dig at his project? I agree I've got no faith but at least he has a start point and a target, more than some have had.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sylentknyte » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:34 pm

I think it would be cool if someone could make a game that takes place in the second chapter of the Shenmue story. I mean its cannon, so nobody could bitch about making up a story and there hasnt been any kind of game made about it yet. Could be pretty cool. But anyways man all the best, I hope your game pans out.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ponatrous » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:26 pm

I can supply original music for your project. I was actually suppose to with some other projects, but they were all scrapped. If you need proof to see if i'm competent just go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/FreddieP3215

Hopefully this one won't fail as well.
Ponatrous
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:44 pm

sylentknyte wrote:I think it would be cool if someone could make a game that takes place in the second chapter of the Shenmue story. I mean its cannon, so nobody could bitch about making up a story and there hasnt been any kind of game made about it yet. Could be pretty cool. But anyways man all the best, I hope your game pans out.

Yea I think it would be a good idea to maybe make the boat scene, or possibly a side story that happened maybe a year before Shenmue 1. Either way I support it.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Next

Return to Community Projects