Working on Shenmue Source Updated Dec 17 '09

(Modding and other series related projects)

Please post whether you will support the project (Total votes: 24)

Yes
71%
No
8%
Don't Care
21%

Postby Andy Hughes » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:51 pm

I will support your project! But what some of the guys have said they are right, that we have been let down a lot with fan projects :( Try and keep the faith! You seem pretty serious about the project, if it gets too much hard work why not just do a side story instead? :)
Andy Hughes
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: My Guitar ;)

Postby L1qu1d » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:23 am

We have absolutely no intention of letting any1 down, and not to make this a selfish project, we're mostly doing it to prove that its not something that is out of reach to any1!

P.S before I continue any further let me say. ANY CONTRIBUTION (I MEAN ANY, will result in full credit, a chance at the beta, and as a token of our gratitude will be offered 1 free game from Steam as a gift once their work is implemented.

I'll repeat myself, we're absolutely not looking to let any1 down, whether you believe it or not, Hazuki Residence MOD (aka alpha 1.0) will be releasing in September 2010 to the public. It wont be much but we're trying not to set goals that are completely out of reach.

Any1 looking to join the crew, your more than welcome. We are all approachable and friendly We mostly work at school in the University computer labs.

We have also picked up a neat little idea from www.lensoftruth.com, which is LIVE sessions. These will be lifve videos of us working and how progress is going. We don't know when we can have this up, like I stated on steam we're in process of changing servers, and when our website junky gets everything running we'll start from there.

Finally a closing word on this mod, the models that will be available in the alpha mod will be made available to the public hopefully long before the beta even goes private. We want ppl's opinions on how accurate they look to the games characters.

Any good with programming, please contact us and let us know if you can help. If not atleast we'll have 1 person we can bounce ideas back and forth.

The website should be updated to resemble our project by next week, we're not going to waste too much time in making the site look "pretty"

We also can't promise that our project will be faster than Black Mesa :P (god we've been waiting for that, and a BIG thanks to them for inspiring us to make our own piece of retro)

Thank you again for the comments you guys, I've been a long time viewer of this site, and first time "poster"

Have a good night and I'll Post some more news on monday:) I'm going to try and make a draft of the hazuki hallway and Ryo room in Source (Will try to release before Xmas, I'm almost 99% sure I will), so we know where and how everything is placed in the room! (this will be a guide line for the final build, I'll also post the source files so you guys can play around with it urselves:D

Good night again, and let me say Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas :D (Or a Futurama Xmas:P)

PPS

This Sorry if the msg is scattered for this post, I had alot of info to cover quick because I have another 13 hr work shift (and a little studyin for exams) to do tomorrow. (yes 13 hrs is alot but tuition don't grow on trees)
L1qu1d
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Master Kyodai » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Just wanted to say sorry to everyone i might have gotten down with my pessimistic point of view. I've simply been disappointed by similar announcements way too often. Thanks L1qu1d for promising to not let us down. Anyone knowing me knows that I'll be the first to pop a bottle of champaign if this really becomes true.

@Liquid - i hope you did take a look at the work in this section of the forums. We have extracted loads of models and although they are not perfect they might be something to start with. Yo said you already have modelers and texturers - also take a look at free texture sites on the web, some are quite nicely organized so you don't need to re-invent the wheel for most stuff. I prefer original models and textures, but after all if you can come up with better ones that match the original style (photo-realism, Shenmue always tried to be close) then why not, people would sure like that.

Some textures are too low res, but take a look in the threads around here what we have made with the original models and textures. Not all these are bad...

We have also been able to extract (nearly) all music files and all sound files, so if there is any use, i suggest it might be good to use original footage.

If you really need more people for the project you should try to specify what you need. Like "We could use people that model in 3D studio max" or "We could use a C++ programmer that is familiar with DirectX". Also if you can't get enough programmers in a gaming forum, maybe ask in a programming or game creation forum. I do a bit programming here or there (See my ROFS extractor in the sony section), and some 3D rendering in Vu6, but i would probably not be of much help here.

I also have Dinos work - he remodeled Sakuragaoka and another scene in breathtaking details - unfortunately i dont have the textures and it's modeled in softimage. If that could be of any use, then let me know. I upped all of my Vue scenes (See my post about vue repository) you see around this section if thats of any use to you.

Well other than that - good luck!
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby L1qu1d » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:12 am

Well to put it easy, we actually are looking to reinvent the wheel, we want the process to be smoother with absolutely now hitches.

We would love to keep some of the old textures, but even running at 1440x900 (My laptop resolution, when magnified, you'll think its a doom 1 creature.

I'm going to have my buddy brows the site for something we can salvage:) We just don't want to take things and recycle it just like that. If you do have work that has attracted our attention (and judging by some of what I've seen quick, that will be alot) make sure to check your inbox because you will have a message from us.

I'll have a sign up sheet up next we for opened positions on the team (by team I mean if you want to help out, you dont need to join, think of it as drop in drop out play if you will:))

Seriously, God bless nullDC, It makes it so easy to take screenies!

I have my DC on (on my hD:() and nullDC on my computer running. I'm trying to get as much detail as possible. Up until now (although I'm very picky) I can pretty much only salvage some of the walls and parts of the floors textures wise. Not everything. Hmmm.

Oh a little Spoiler******

As you all know there is a Sega Saturn under the TV IN the Hazuki house, it will defininatly be replaced by the Sega Dreamcast:) We decided to do a little piece of our own history (our own I mean the DC community).

Anyways more to come tomorrow, I want to have Atleast a general guideline of RYo's room done and I"ll upload it as soon as done:)

P.S

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could use the model of Ryo from Sega ALl stars racing?:D :P haha
L1qu1d

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:26 pm

L1qu1d wrote:Well to put it easy, we actually are looking to reinvent the wheel, we want the process to be smoother with absolutely now hitches.

We would love to keep some of the old textures, but even running at 1440x900 (My laptop resolution, when magnified, you'll think its a doom 1 creature.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could use the model of Ryo from Sega ALl stars racing?:D :P haha

Well i made some renders in 1600x1200 with original textures and models and they don't really look bad i think. However, none of the shenmue textures are of course usable for extreme close-ups.

But well if your modelers are that good that the models look "better" than the original i guess noone can explain. It's just quite a lot.

About textures - forgot to mention, but i already uploaded a package of the complete Shenmue 1 and Whats shenmue textures here. Looking at these you'll be scared by the low res, but take a look at the renders to see how they really look in their natural environment. ;)

Wish i had saved some of the pics from Dinos work. I am sure you would drool about the exciting level of detail, really amazing work in it, a shame i dont have the textures.

About the Ryo model from Sega Allstars racing - with 3D RIpper DX we have good chances this model can be ripped. PC games are usually easier to rip than nullDC games. But of course we'll need to wait untill it's out.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby LawXiu » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Just reading back and so far and your main reason for the project is so people can see Shenmue with better graphics?

If this is the case wouldn't you be better off remaking the movie that come with Shenmue 2x? Would it save you time? This would mean leaving out a lot of game features but everyone has played the game before. That way everyone can see Shenmue in a more modern looking environment. I've got my laptop hooked up to my LCD tv with a VGA cable so I would love to see that.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby L1qu1d » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Well for remaking the movie, thats like taking a ford model T remaking it and not letting any1 drive it.

I mean its amazing but can't drive it? Interest is gone.

The reason I stated "To bring it to HD gen" doesn't just mean for the purpose of graphics, but also for the purpose of bringing ppl back to the game. I mean I would love to think that this project (just like any1 one elses) sparked the chances of a 3rd Shenmue.

I will never loose faith for Shenmue 3, I mean look at NFS Shift, its not made by the same ppl and yet its better than the previous recent gen games!

:)

@Master Kyodai

I will most def look at them thank you. We just thought that by remaking most textures we add alittle bit of our signature to it. Think of this game as a Museum. The Museum is high tech and contains state of the art, but the actually art work and artifacts are a piece of the past.

With that being said we want to keep some textures here and there for the Old fans, and revamp the game to attract new fans.

And again Master Kyodai, I will take your advice and make a sign up sheet for positions we have open:) We just dont want ppl to work blindly so we want to organise it!

If any of you want to check with progess plz contact me on the forums or our email [email protected]!

We would love to answer some of your questions, take your advice, and yes if you have them your flames as well!!!!! ;)
L1qu1d

Postby L1qu1d » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:45 am

K well I have these I did really quick here and there. I am going to make a draft copy of The hazuki house using basic props and items.

Here is Ryo's room, if he were poor and Also trapped in the HL2 world:D

Here are some photos I used quickly to have an idea where things go and will be placed using our own textures/models:

Its a draft copy we just want to get everything positioned and the amount of space we want the user/users to have when moving around and interacting with objects!:)
L1qu1d

Postby Magnum » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:50 am

Hey, I already posted on your steam page, but I decided to post here as well. I would LOVE to work on the project with you guys as a mapper. I also have lots of experience in photoshop if the need ever arises, after all just look at my signature and avatar and that shows off some of my photoshopping skills.

I sent you a friend request on steam, so if you could add me and let me know if you could use me, that would be awesome. I may not be on this site much so it would be best to contact me on steam, my username is: MWOlson06

EDIT: heres some high rez screenshots of Ryo's room and the hallway etc.
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll24 ... %20Source/

p.s. Ponatrous, I love your remixes, I think that would be cooler to use remixes instead of the actual songs because it will be next gen shenmue basically and we should get newer stuff.

anyway, L1qu1d are you planning on having all the same NPC characters and have them say similar to the same lines? If so I think we should have our own voice actor's for some of the characters because the acting isn't that great at all, and plus we will be leaving even more of our mark :P
Last edited by Magnum on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Magnum

Postby Magnum » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Here's a quick map I whipped up this morning. It's Ryo's Room of course.

I just used random textures I found, so it doesn't look THAT great, but if we make textures and decorate it some more like, with the hanger and shirt, pillow, blanket, books on the shelves, a clock, power outlet, boxes and trophies in closet, better window, reskin all the props, etc. it will look a LOT better

and I know its a tad wider than Ryo's room on the DC, but that can be easily changed
Last edited by Magnum on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Magnum

Postby dotsona » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:31 pm

^^ That image isnt working.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby Magnum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:08 am

Sorry about that, I moved it to my Shenmue Source album after I posted it on the forums. It should work now
Last edited by Magnum on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnum

Postby dotsona » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:29 pm

Nice work that's looking great, keep it up.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby Magnum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Lol, ya I REALLY want to get back into mapping, cus i havn't been mapping in a long time, but if I could just get a hold of L1qu1d and talk to him so we can start working that would be AMAZING. And I have sooo many ideas, like we could open up shops that were previously blocked off and we could design some of our own characters and narrate them etc. Just so its not just another shenmue copy, but a whole other experience
Last edited by Magnum on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Magnum

Postby L1qu1d » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:11 am

really well made pictures:)

We had been out for a while (2 of our members had family problems), and we didn't want to continue without atleast having 5 members that knew our programming circle.

Textures are still being worked on will post some updates by the end of January:)
L1qu1d

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects