Shenmue Mod in Garrys mod?

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue Mod in Garrys mod?

Postby zxzkilme » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Anyone still up to this? I know garrys mod very well and this game can be done easier than you think because garrys mod specializes in lua scripting... Ask at facepunch forum what lua scripting for gmod is if you dont know. with the models and maps that i can make and proper lua scripting a shenmue mod can be made very easily... i know a lot of awsome rpg mods made for garrys mod with just lua scripting, models and maps and they are awsome mods.... so who is up to this? here is a wiki website of what lua scripting for garrys mod is about.. http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Lua
zxzkilme
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Oppy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:42 am

I am up for playing it if you want to make it.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby zxzkilme » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:30 am

If you guys still dont believe me then watch this gamemode created from lua scripting in garrys mod...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37eRt5ajsIA[/youtube]

It doesnt even look like garrys mod anymore... it looks like a whole new mod.. thats y shenmue can be made here easier than making a standalone mod or a hl2 mod....
zxzkilme
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Oppy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:40 am

Make it for us then. I wouldnt mind playing a shenmue garys mod. Just make sure you give Ryo a gun to keep Master Kyodai happy.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby dotsona » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:42 am

We still have the moddb page up, we couldnt find anyone to help us so its kinda stopped/dead. Here is the moddb page http://www.moddb.com/mods/shenmue-gmod
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby zxzkilme » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:57 am

I can find help at facepunch if someone is willing to help me there though.. you guys can help too
zxzkilme
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Shenmue Mod in Garrys mod?

Postby nagates » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:20 pm

has anyone consider modding Fallout 3? I mean, if you have planed the game you notice that it has a lot of characteristics of Shenmue, for example, people move around and do their own thing, you can pick up a large majority of objects, you can talk to just about anyone in the game, it has inventory manager, a quest system, dynamic weather (sorta, night and day mostly), If anything you need to turn off some of Fallout 3's features, and add true dynamic weather, but other then that I think its a closer fit then Half-Life\Gary's Mod, both would work and would be awesome, I just think fallout 3 would be a little less work. Anyways I willing to help any way I can, I'm Com. Sci, so I know a thing or two about programming.....
nagates
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: CoolerFX

Postby Master Kyodai » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:00 pm

I did do some mods for fallout 3, the engine might be suitable for a Shenmue mod, but we don't really have any models to import and making them from scratch has been tried numerous times and so far always resulted in people getting like 1 scene done in 2 years or so. I am also not familiar with if and what 3D models you can import into Fallout 3 and if the characters are suitable for Shenmue style characters. I can remember i was never too happy with teh characters in my mods, but admitted - i did not spend ages with that.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby nagates » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:58 pm

Yea, I definitely agree that making the models would be the biggest hurtle in any Shenmue projects, That being said one could just use models from fallout 3, oblivion, or where ever else they can find them, and just use those as place holders. Really I think if people where serious about this, that best way would be one team working on models, while the other team work on game logic.....

If I where to do this, I would also try to rip the dialog from the original game to use in anything new....

anyways anything we do would be a lot of work and a probably a couple years....
nagates
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby zxzkilme » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:36 am

Can any of you guys script in Lua form?
zxzkilme
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Anthony817 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:49 pm

Get these guys some help ripping perfect models and it could happen pretty easy, problem is, when they rip models from the game they have holes in the back or the polygons are slightly blocky. It has been a long time since I have checked up on their models, but I guess they should be better at it now?
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby zxzkilme » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Ya I read up on Lua and it says it is very easy to learn and is powerful of creating other mods, small or big.
zxzkilme
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby nagates » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:28 am

I would definitely be up for learning lua, and offering help on that front...
nagates
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby wude » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:59 am

i'll be glad to help too,i just don't know where to start.
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby nagates » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm so far behind on whats going on with the shenmue modding scene, but digging through the forums here, it seems like we have some models ripped already, even if they're not prefect, certainly this would be enough to start a rough prototype, proof of concept. I still stand by my fallout 3/ oblivion game engine, since it seems so similar to begin with, however I am more then will to use gmod.
nagates
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Community Projects