Editing Shenmue Save games for NullDC/Dreamcast

(Modding and other series related projects)

Editing Shenmue Save games for NullDC/Dreamcast

Postby Master Kyodai » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Allright as this was discussed in other topics before here is a handy little solution i found to enable editing Shenmue save games and fix the CRC.

1. Play Shenmue in Null DC and save your game
2. Download Dream Explorer and load it in NullDC and boot up
3. Do your Hex editing in dream explorer
4. When it saves it's asking you to fix CRC, just answer with "yes"
5. Load Shenmue in NullDC and select your edited save game

http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/rele ... en&menu=on
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Editing Shenmue Save games for NullDC/Dreamcast

Postby kakuzawa » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:20 pm

Yet still game won't let me load with changed coordinates, strange... (Shenmue 2 pal gdi images, last dream explorer, nulldc 1.0.4)
Master Kyodai were you able to edit this coordinates and load map?
kakuzawa
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Used to modify S2X

Postby Master Kyodai » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:02 pm

I must admit i dont really know a thing about coordinates, but i changed some random stuff and it loaded fine. Did you do the CRC fix? Still getting the same message? I also only tried with Shenmue 1, but i assume Shenmue 2 is quite similar...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby kakuzawa » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:06 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:I must admit i dont really know a thing about coordinates, but i changed some random stuff and it loaded fine. Did you do the CRC fix? Still getting the same message? I also only tried with Shenmue 1, but i assume Shenmue 2 is quite similar...

These are the offsets from Shenmue 2 save.
149C coordinate X [4 bytes]
14A0 coordinate Y [4 bytes]
14A4 coordinate Z [4 bytes]
Offsets are from *.vms file, they are 5 bytes after you see HOS for the second time (there is a chunk of data, probably which contains info about relations with characters). 5 bytes after HOS there are 4 bytes which hold X coordinates, next 4 bytes are Y, next 4 -> Z and after them there is probably 'sense' (in physical/mathematical meaning).
All you have to do is to change values e.g. when you start the S2 the last (the most important) value of height is 42. Change it to for instance to 48, Ryo should be much higher then he was before.

Edit:
Example which definietly works on Xbox ->height set to B1 9E C4 42 (below map level). Result on Xbox->
hexedit in nulldc, game won't load....(these are the bytes to edit, I'm sure of it)
kakuzawa

Currently playing: Used to modify S2X

Postby wude » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:20 pm

how about this one

http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmudl/index.php?menu=&lg=en

i can't test it, because every time i run nulldc my pc freezes :???:

wude has received a thanks from: Radar
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby wude » Fri May 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Can anyone please modify Z position in an xbox save and send me the original and modified files?
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Postby IlDucci » Fri May 18, 2012 6:57 am

I've started to search some values on Shenmue I (PAL) saves, here's also the stuff I used to find this:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1an8vgbdzbk9q8a

Positions found:
0x689 - Byte that forces the game to run in a specific video mode: 0x50 (P) PAL 50Hz, 0x58 (X) PAL 60Hz (Allows to pick 50 or 60 when starting the game with this save), 0x56 (V) VGA Mode.

Ryo's money:
0x2018: Save 1 (Two bytes, or maybe four); 0x3818: Save 2; 0x5018: Save 3. (Didn't saved a Resume File)

Loading/Saving screen dates:
0x740: Save 1 (16 bytes); 0x780: Save 2; 0x7C0: Save 3.
For each eight bytes, the first two mark a year, the third one the month, the fourth one the day, fifth' the hour, sixth's the minute, seventh's the second (That's not seen ingame). Last one's always zero.

Game date (Alternate value):
Save 1's at 0x223D (It starts at 01 and counts forward instead of showing a full day/month/year). There's a possible duplicate at 0x31EC, and 0x2B35.

The problem's what I mentioned at the other post, if I edit something inside a savegame, the game will refuse to load that specific save, if the rest of 'em are untouched or you only touch the Video mode byte, they will go perfectly.
IlDucci

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby IlDucci » Sun May 27, 2012 10:46 am

I just happened to do something odd. Remember the Loading/Saving screen dates? Well, I tried editing the Game Date... and in Demul (0.5.7), it worked, I could place myself in a different day (So I could change the weather for my own purposes). But in NullDC (r141) the game's not working, like if I missed any checksum (And well, I haven't found the checksums yet, help anyone?)

Maybe Demul's got something that avoids any sort of extra checksum? I need to record the ending of the game in NullDC because on Demul, the ship's smoke looks completely FUBAR on DX11.
IlDucci

Postby wude » Sun May 27, 2012 10:57 am

well, if you just want to change time/date on nulldc you can use a cheater, artmoney and cheat engine are the best, go into a store in dobuita, enter and pause the game go to the cheater and enter the minutes value, stay a bit and then go out, pause the game and enter the new minutes value, keep doing it until you find its address, hours,days,months values are near that address.
in shenmue 2 there is an address to control time speed :lol:
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Postby IlDucci » Sun May 27, 2012 11:31 am

I guess something else's broken, as NullDC directly refuses to load even the savegame I made on a real console (Which Demul does read). Using the savegames I attached around (At the start of the game), NullDC reads them, but for some reason it won't read this one.

Tried using 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 r141.

I checked if my hacked savegame posed any troubles on a real console, and the savegame worked, so it's just NullDC playing troll.
IlDucci

Return to Community Projects