Shenmue 2 Xbox Undub (Japanase voice-over)

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue 2 Xbox Undub (Japanase voice-over)

Postby kakuzawa » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:40 pm

The idea is known as long as the game was released. Sadly no-one tried to do this swap or just pick it yet not finished. Dreamcast version on the other hand had more luck and there is realase of such style (english voices swapped with japanase one). Much appreciation to neokogami who explained the basic of the process.

Disclaimer:
Don't expect it to be perfect quality swap. If I use the *.srf files from dremcast version it could be almost perfect... but not every file can be taken from DC and be placed in Xbox version. To chceck why is that or even to insert all compatible files I'll have to spend way too much time. Therefore there will be lipsync and timing issues. Can't stand it? Outta of luck here cause it is not gonna be fixed soon or ever.

sample from neokogami YT page
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8iy20MjIq8[/youtube]

sample from my YT page
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1VaAoH1Jg[/youtube]
What you'll need:

1. Modified Xbox (Xbox 360 not tested)
2. *.iso of Shenmue 2 Xbox game:
how to get *.iso from dvd with original game
or download *.iso from sneso.... 8)
2a. Ethernet cable will be needed to ftp original image back to PC and if you want to try the image on built in hdd.
3. Qwix 1.01 from here or use #xbins
4. 7zip unpacker here
5. Files from links:
Code: Select all
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6ZP97WLT
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EH99KL5U

https://rapidshare.com/files/1132719362/Shenmue2XboxUndub.7z.001
https://rapidshare.com/files/2973765622/Shenmue2XboxUndub.7z.002

When you acquire the iso all you have to do is to extract it with Qwix.
and after that place files from archive into corresponding folder of extracted Shenmue 2.

What you also notice is that you don't overwrite files - this is delibirate.
    If you don't want to listen english vo ever again rename folders strjap to stream and overwrite files from extracted iso with the ones from archive.
    Yet if you wish to keep english voice and japanase simultaneously just use the default STRJAP.xbe.

• To have english vo as default one just copy "default STRJAP.xbe". When you'll want to play japanese dub you'll have to use some kind of dashboard and in "File manager" use "default STRJAP.xbe" to launch game. EDIT: typo in filename defualt STRJAP.xbe
  • What about the other way aroung? Rename original default.xbe to let's say: "default English.xbe" (this is your choice) and after that rename "default STRJAP.xbe" EDIT: typo in filename defualt STRJAP.xbe
    to default.xbe. To run game in not default language you'll have to use File Manager just like mentioned above.

Ok... now you can do this three-ways :twisted: either:
  • just copy files exracted iso to hdd in Xbox by using ftp connection (e.g. Total Commander) to partiton f:/games (not recommended as there are bunch of small files, and the process is slow)
  • or create iso from Qwix left side menu Image and transfer the iso using qwix and avalanche/unleashx dashboards from your Xbox (the best solution, fast and without burning). When experiencing problems disable Firewall / antivirus software.
  • or create iso from Qwix left side menu and burn the iso using imgburn or any other burning software

Optional step will save some space but it will not be* enough to fit iso to dvd5 with 2 languages support.

* - to be precise, I didn't test, but original Shenmue 2 Xbox is DVD9 game when you don't use this feature, another is to get rid of the Digest movie from scene/04/movie/s1digest.sfd and e.g. replace it with saturn.sfd from the same directory

BONUS! :twisted:
Do you want to hear originally voiced Yuan? In archive are files to be replaced in strjap/stream if you want to do so. According to user neokogami these are the only files where Yuan is voiced so this should be it.

kakuzawa has received a thanks from: amiga1200
kakuzawa
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Used to modify S2X

Re: Shenmue 2 Xbox Undub (Japanase voice-over)

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:10 pm

So I was using this and keep getting a crash in the Dou Jiang Diner scene - right between the free battle and the QTE. Anyone else having the problem?
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:00 pm

send me ur save files. Ill test on my box

Does anyone want this ISO converted for 360 using IXtreme or 360key??
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby OldClassicGamer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Please for the love of Kami-Sama, somebody upload files that are requiered for undub. I dont need iso since that is illegal. I want just a files that I can replace with the ones on disc after I extract them from my original disc.
OldClassicGamer
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Rayman Origins

Postby MairusuPawa » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:28 am

Bump, as I finally got my hands on this. :)

The game works great, up to the Dou Jiang Diner scene as mentioned above - the console seems to fail to play a sound file and freezes. As a workaround, I simply switched to the regular Shenmue disc for that scene, and went back to the Undubbed version right after it. The game then plays fine till Kowloon, when Yuan appears in an elevator and tries to speak.

The issue seems to arise when Yuan is present in a scene (he/she appears later on during the Dou Jiang Diner scene). As his/her lines were altered / re-recorded between the JPN and EUR releases, this *might* be the source of the issue for a reason or another.
MairusuPawa
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby sm1th » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:57 am

MairusuPawa wrote: Bump, as I finally got my hands on this. :)

The game works great, up to the Dou Jiang Diner scene as mentioned above - the console seems to fail to play a sound file and freezes. As a workaround, I simply switched to the regular Shenmue disc for that scene, and went back to the Undubbed version right after it. The game then plays fine till Kowloon, when Yuan appears in an elevator and tries to speak.

The issue seems to arise when Yuan is present in a scene (he/she appears later on during the Dou Jiang Diner scene). As his/her lines were altered / re-recorded between the JPN and EUR releases, this *might* be the source of the issue for a reason or another.

Kogami or Kakuzawa would be the ppl to ask about the xbox shen2 undub mod.
I wonder if this could be fixed by creating a script to dummy out any incompatible files between versions??
I have not looked at the xbox shen2 undub files.
Its odd though since it was officially released on DC this way..why would it present new issues on xbox?
Idk?
Either way it is a cool mod and I am glad that it exists.
:)
sm1th

Postby IlDucci » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:02 pm

sm1th wrote:
MairusuPawa wrote:Its odd though since it was officially released on DC this way..why would it present new issues on xbox?
Idk?
Either way it is a cool mod and I am glad that it exists.
:)

XBOX's voice files are 99% (Amount, naming conventions) identical to DC. That 1% missing is what's bothering about (There's like one or two extra lines per NPC and disc in HUMANS, per example).

EDIT Jan. 26 2014: I did some time ago a comparison of subtitles between DC and XBOX (I cannot count the ones from the cutscenes as most of them were rewritten to fit into the time constraints of the game), and here's what I got:
HUMANS Disc 1: 44774 out of 47349 subtitles match. 94,56%
HUMANS Disc 2: 55838 out of 58048 subtitles match. 96,19%
HUMANS Disc 3: 68388 out of 74241 subtitles match. 92,11%
HUMANS Disc 4: 1847 out of 2175 subtitles match. 84,91%

While some of those are probably rewrites and corrections, there should be a percentage that are new simple lines.

(Thanks to Viento for the tool)
IlDucci

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:00 am

FYI,

Tested working on Xbox 360 with Flashed DVD drive.

I burnt off a Shenmue 2 iso with the undub. Works fine.

/james
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby IlDucci » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:03 pm

I got a bit of an offtopic question, now that I wonder.

Is there any other way to view edited data on an XBOX that's not burning a DVD or uploading the full ISO to the HDD? I mean, something like Riivolution.
IlDucci

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby TheThreeevils » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:33 am

I know this is an old thread but can someone help me? It crashes at the diner cut scene and I really want to hear the original Japanese voices. Cheers
TheThreeevils

XBL: TheThreeevils

Postby amiga1200 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:03 am

for the sake of shits n giggles: :mrgreen:
CXBOXTOOL works as good as QUIX (or craxion) but has 'on the fly' encrypt/decrypt for xiso's.
1, get CXBOX tool and mirror the ip address of the console.
2, ensure xbox connection type is set to DHCP. static has issues in some cases
3, target the desired xiso with CXBOTOOL and copy contents of xiso to xbox harddisk. (with CXBOXTOOL, there's NO need to expand xiso's, it does it by itself in one move, same for creating them)
F:/games/
G:/games/

may try this at a later date?
thanks for the share. :mrgreen:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby TheThreeevils » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:37 am

I'm attempting replace Yuans AFS and IDX files in the hopes of resolving the Doi Jiang Diner scene crash and also getting the original voice acting for her/him. I'm currently ftp'ing to my Xbox using flashfxp and simply replacing the currently existing AFS and IDX with the original yuan voice files. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong??
TheThreeevils

Postby amiga1200 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:15 pm

:sad:
okay, i was going to rip the xiso from the links provided, including some SERIOUS searches:
in short: no fuckin chance i can get at it.
1, web search, the iso zone link is bullshit. ENABLE ADBLOCK+ OR GET AN ILIVID AUTOMATED DOWNLOAD..IT'S A DL MANAGER, BUGGY AS FUCK AND NOT NEEDED! (internal server error 500) file doesn't exist when tried on IE, opera pukes that shit up, and firefox just spins on it and halts. no indication. (google just hangs, no page displayed on the item, main browser homepage is fine.)
2, mega links tell me to fuck off and update browser. no way off the page. (and i'm NOT updating either.)
3, the links on this subject are as dead as the cigs i'm smoking.
i'm having DNS issues in my area, there's a chance it's out there, but i can't find it, ALL attempts at some sort of download shitcan my computer.
the idea was to trial it, put up a public torrent (with writ) so there's a chance it could remain alive.
for the sake of saying, i've ripped a few items from tiz (and mega) and NOT faced the bullshit i've encountered looking for this build.
if somebody could provide a WORKING VISIBLE DOWNLOAD LINK, i can mirror it as a torrent.
THIS is a classic example of why HTTP lockers SUCK, and a plague.
thanks for reading! 8)
[edit]
typo.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby TheThreeevils » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Managed to actually get it working. I'm not sure if it's the original Japanese mans voice or not. Just sounds like a female Yuan in Japanese. Which is fine. I got passed the crash and I still haven't run into a single sentence of English. It has worked perfectly so far. My girlfriend is just about to find Ren. If anyone is interested, I've been thinking about uploading all my files so it's readily available for everyone without any fuckery needed. Not going to post it until we've finished the entire game so that I know that its 100% compatible.
TheThreeevils

Return to Community Projects