Shenmue Chapter 2 Recruitment [UPDATED: 17/10/2012]

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue Chapter 2 Recruitment

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Well, for the record, this didn't fail due to how long it takes to build a game, how hard it is, nor that people lost interest. The project's failure was down to the fact that it was essentially a solo effort with the odd help here and there, and Erin couldn't complete it due to prior commitments.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Sailors? » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:34 pm

I didn't post the thread to show the failure of it. I posted it to help the cause, in case it contained anything that would make this attempt easier.

Sailors? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Good. Keep it that way. Don't forget... I know where you live.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Sailors? » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 pm

You have no idea where I live.

EDIT: Oh and I still think it's gonna flop. Not that I want it to though.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Cant sleep cuz i am so excited about this! Had some great ideas and had to jump out of bed to write them down. Just some scenes that i played through in my mind which had great juxtapositions from both the original game and Shenmue II. When you think about some scenes from Shenmue, and look at the direction of some scenes in Shenmue II, it becomes more clear as to how Suzuki had written the ending to the second boat chapter. Clever man ;-)

Peter has received a thanks from: Yama
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:38 pm

I have 3 Chai voices now. I'm fine tuning. I never really had to mix two of m voices before. Nothing will ever be exact but I think I'm getting a good form of it. When the VA part of this is read or a little before I may send some samples. LAN DI SAN WILL BE PLEASED! EEEEEEEEEHEHEHEHEEEEEEE!!!!!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:18 am

Sama*
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:22 am

My Chai voice would be exact.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 am

Well, voices are a long way off yet, but it would be easier for me to have peeps from the UK doing VO work, as I'd be able to record and direct you. Still, c'mon people, I need RESEARCHERS more than anything right now.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:14 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Yes, but there are many things to be taken into consideration at the moment before I begin designing the game. Research is the most important thing right now (eg we need to know the timescale of a trip from Yokosuka to Aberdeen), followed by extraction (eg need to know if facial animations can be extracted), and getting a basic plotline down (gameplay elements can easily be intergrated into a story)

Until I've built up the initial team and got a bit of work done, I can't say for sure which engine will be used or what platform it will appear on (although it's fairly obvious to say that PC and/or Mac would be first choice before looking into mobile or Dreamcast)

Also, if you're waiting for a reply to your PM, please be patient, as I want to give the topic enough time to be seen before handling any decisions on recruitment. Like I said, you most likely do have the job, I'm just making sure that every point of this project is scheduled efficiently.

All Files are in proprietary format. What you can extract 100% are textures and sounds/Voices. Music is a "90%" thing, the AICA emulation is not perfect and some tracks are a bit glitched.

Model/Scene extraction i'd like to call a 10% thingy. While some models can be extracted perfectly most are glitched beyond recognition. Ripping with 3D ripper works like 80% fine. Shenmue 1 suffers heavily from backface culling issues though, S2 has less problems with that.

Animations can NOT be exported, neither facial nor character or camera animations. Models ripped or exported are not rigged. Textures are nearly all extremely low resolution, barely usable for modern resolutions.

Well research, i guess theres not much known besides the obvious comic. Its pretty far from Yokosuka to Hong Kong, I'd estimate such a trip to be around 10 days with a boat at least, so besides "Ryo kicks chais ass" there would be room for other side stories i guess.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks for the input. Like I said, I've already got a lot in mind, but I was thinking the trip would be no more than a week, so it'll open the door to a lot of other possibilities there (which isn't necessarily a good thing) I've sent you a PM anyway.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Sailors? » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:25 pm

I'd say passenger wise it would hold roughly 800-1000 passengers. I know you want to be exact but unless we have someone one here with a vast knowledge of boats I don't think we'll get an exact number.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:31 pm

That's exactly what I'm looking for, someone with that kind of knowledge. The number of passengers will be scaled down in proportion to the size of the boat itself, but the ratio of workers to passengers will be the same or thereabouts.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 pm

it seemed like a small boat though, I don't think it had that many passengers but was rather a trade boat that would rent out the extra cabins to make some extra money, remember that shenmue 1 had 100 characters so I doubt the boat chapter would have more than 30-40 max, a good way of finding out is using the cabin windows on the ship model to determine how many there were, the lower deck is probably mostly just storage and engines I'm guessing, overall if you look at the beginning of shenmue 2 it's really not that big compared to it's surroundings
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Sailors? » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Look at the ending to Shenmue 1 and the Shenmue 2 opener again it's not exactly a small boat. The Mersey Ferry is much smaller and holds a maximum of 370 passengers. Of course because of the size of the game the passengers would be reduced but it's definitely not a small boat. I'm no expert on boats but it doesn't make sense for a boat of this size to hold so little passengers especially on a long journey.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects