Shenmue Bicycle Mod

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue Bicycle Mod Project by James Reiner (Progress Vi

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Very interesting stuff, it's awesome. Thanks for working on it man and yes, fuck the haters.

Btw, if I seemed like I was rushing you with my earlier posts that was definitely not my intention. I just find this to be a very exciting project that awakens my curiosity.

Keep at it and good luck mate.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby DreamcastPast » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:11 pm

It's abundantly clear that a LOT of time and effort is going into this, good job, really looking forward to seeing it in action!
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Have you found the relevant call for Wang's bike-riding motion data?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:05 am

Bump.

I want to expedite progress on this mod.

Anyone who can help. Please pm me.

I have a ton of questions.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby shengoro86 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:59 am

Bump!

Anyone? :(
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:36 am

I cant help Shengoro but keep up the good work!
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon May 05, 2014 7:40 am

I can't necessarily help, but I do know that there are PKS (or PKF) files with the motion data stored in it. To actually force the game to make the bike appear, trigger these animations, and/or replace the model of Ryo with a combined model of Ryo on the bike though... I honestly don't have a clue.

All I know is that the key to unlocking the game is to be able to read the contents of PKF/PKS files, but whilst the explorer tool can tell you what they are, once they're unpacked they're seemingly useless. No way of reading the weather data files, no way of importing HCM models, sequences, anything.

I'm not saying that a bike mod can't be done, but I reckon it's next to impossible with the tools that are currently available. Maybe the best thing to focus on would be collaborating with another hacker or two to read the contents of these PKS/PFK archives. Like I say, you unlock them, and you unlock the game.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon May 05, 2014 11:00 am

Just guessing here, but maybe the motions from Guangji Wang (The delivery guy from ajiichi restaurant) could be compared? I mean he's getting on and off his bike in game...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:40 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: I can't necessarily help, but I do know that there are PKS (or PKF) files with the motion data stored in it. To actually force the game to make the bike appear, trigger these animations, and/or replace the model of Ryo with a combined model of Ryo on the bike though... I honestly don't have a clue.

All I know is that the key to unlocking the game is to be able to read the contents of PKF/PKS files, but whilst the explorer tool can tell you what they are, once they're unpacked they're seemingly useless. No way of reading the weather data files, no way of importing HCM models, sequences, anything.

I'm not saying that a bike mod can't be done, but I reckon it's next to impossible with the tools that are currently available. Maybe the best thing to focus on would be collaborating with another hacker or two to read the contents of these PKS/PFK archives. Like I say, you unlock them, and you unlock the game.

The method that I am using is more on the higher level side. I understand that opening these files are near impossible without a ton of reverse engineering. My thoughts were more on the RAM hacking side to change memory addresses so that the engine can just load everything natively without having to rely on hacked files. Its possible but i keep getting stability issues so i think a checksum might be the issue.

Master Kyodai wrote:Just guessing here, but maybe the motions from Guangji Wang (The delivery guy from ajiichi restaurant) could be compared? I mean he's getting on and off his bike in game...

Myself and another are working on this very comparison right now.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue May 06, 2014 4:42 am

I'm not sure if the memory address changes are the best approach. I would probably try finding the references in the files and hex edit these. That way the hack can also be distributed easily and should be much more stable.

I might be wrong but i believe that pretty much all bike motions are in SCENE\01\FREE\M_BIKE.BIN... If you look at the first 1024 bytes it already gives the descriptors for the content. So "AKI" is actually Ryo. You can see references to the motorcycle motions - i think "AKI_TAOSU_FOR_TURN180_AMERICANBIKE_F" for example is a 180 degree turn on the motorcycle. What is interesting is that there is also a "AKI_TAOSU_C_TURN180_JITENSYA"... Well if you don't speak Japanese that doesn't mean much but "Jitensha" means "bicycle", like one without an engine.

My memory is foggy, but i think Ryo pulls the 180 degree turn when he has to race the motorcycle to get Nozomi, right?
Since the beginning of that file is kinda index i guess it would be suitable to just swap "AKI_TAOSU_FOR_TURN180_AMERICANBIKE_F" and "AKI_TAOSU_C_TURN180_JITENSYA" and see if Ryo suddenly does the 180 degree turn on a bicycle instead of a motorcycle. AT least taht's what i would try first since it's easy to pull off - maybe 20 minutes of work, it won't affect the file size and thus be pretty safe and it would shed some light on these motion files. A second step would be to swap all motorcycle related ones with bicycle ones and see what will come out.

Another thing to look into would be the M_FREE.BIN in the same dir. These are the normal motions - like "AKI_AKI_SUWARU" (Ryo Sit). Obviously there must be some reference to these, prolly in the scene file scripts or main binary. Swapping these references successfully would mean you could make Ryo ride a bike instead of sitting.

The 1st_read.bin also holds many interesting things - since it is kinda "main exe" for Shenmue loads of manipulation can be done here. You did a good job at editing the beta disc, so take a look at its 1st_read...

If you search a bit you can find a line starting with "NL_POINTXZ BikeRoot%02d[]"...

A few lines above that is something like "NL_POINT3 Root%02d[]=", why not try swapping that, so it will be "NL_POINT3 BikeRoot%02d[]=" and "NL_POINTXZ Root%02d[]", see what happens? ALso around that area in the 1st_read you will see more interesting stuff... "JUMP CHARA(Now Dead)", so obviously they originally had jumping in the game as well...

Also search for "Mo_InitBikePos" a few lines under that spot. Maybe you can swap "Mo_ExecSit" with "Mo_InitBikePos" to make Ryo ride a bike instead of sitting here...

I think there are still a few things left to try out with hex editing and it is probably easier than memory juggling.

MOTION.BIN in the MOTION directory might also be a place to try some edits. Try swapping "AKI_AKI_PUSH_DOOR" and "AKI_AKI_PULL_DOOR", can you make Ryo pushing doors instead of pulling them? Might look funny... But easy testing to see what you can get done here...

Another very interesting find:

compare MISC\CM_D000.BIN and SCENE\01\D000\CYCLEMAN.BIN - same size. Same file? Nearly i would say. Maybe swapping these two would be worth a shot?

D000\MPK00.PKS also seems interesting, if you search for "BIKE" it reveals some QTE motions...

M_FREE.BIN might also be worth taking a look at. Try swapping "AKI_ORIRU_FORKLIFT_F" and "AKI_AKI_BIKE3_LP" ?

Master Kyodai has received 2 thanks from: shengoro86, wude
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Tue May 06, 2014 8:10 am

Master Kyodai wrote:[...] i think Ryo pulls the 180 degree turn when he has to race the motorcycle to get Nozomi, right? [...]

Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby shengoro86 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:18 am

Kyodai, you are a god.

Ill continue working on this and update as I go along.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu May 08, 2014 11:40 am

Don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to be able to jump... Atleast in Shenmue II... :rotflmao:
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:35 am

ShenmueTree wrote: Don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to be able to jump... Atleast in Shenmue II... :rotflmao:

I could look into it.

Does anyone know if the 1st_READ binary gets CRC checked by some algorithm? Im getting booting issues when the 1st_read binary gets chain loaded.

I made some necessary edits to toy around with Kyodai's ideas. However, I get random crashing issues during 2nd level booting.

Anyone here have a dev console they can view the console output on? I don't trust emulator output.

I know Shenmue has issues loading on Dev hardware, either the katana or DC dev kits, but I could use a dump of the console output.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby IlDucci » Mon May 12, 2014 5:33 am

shengoro86 wrote:Does anyone know if the 1st_READ binary gets CRC checked by some algorithm? Im getting booting issues when the 1st_read binary gets chain loaded.

At least, when I edited texts for my translations, the game works fine.
IlDucci

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects