Shenmue Undub Download Here..

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue Undub Download Here..

Postby sm1th » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 am

Shenmue Undub - ReviveDC Release

Download Link
http://theisozone.com/downloads/dreamcast/dreamcast-isos/shenmue-undub---revivedc-release/

phpBB [video]

sm1th
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Shenmue Undub Download Here..

Postby ShenSun » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:36 am

smi1th, you are the fukin man.

I love you, no homo :D
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby DreamcastPast » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks sm1th, what you have achieved is nothing short of amazing to me. It's that time of year to start a fresh game of Shenmue, and now I have a different version to play through :D
DreamcastPast

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Giorgio » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Yep, we now know what we would be playing during Christmas...

Giorgio has received a thanks from: shengoro86
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Izumi Konata » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:52 pm

1st of all gratz on finishing this project, I've been eagerly awaiting it's release for quite some time now. Awesome job!

However, I'm having an issue with this release on my NTSC-J Dreamcast.

After the SEGA/RDC splash logo is displayed, it drops me back to the main menu. I still have the old 99 min. release of cd 1, and that one boots fine.

What could be wrong?
Izumi Konata
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Giorgio » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:15 am

Izumi Konata wrote:However, I'm having an issue with this release on my NTSC-J Dreamcast.

After the SEGA/RDC splash logo is displayed, it drops me back to the main menu. I still have the old 99 min. release of cd 1, and that one boots fine.

What could be wrong?

If I am not mistaken, Shenmue Undub is compiled as a PAL/EUR version, therefore it will not run in NTSC-J Dreamcast's. Probably you can use the Utopia Boot Disk?
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby myshtuff » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:40 am

I am still confused at what the difference is even after reading the site. Can someone explain it to me?
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Izumi Konata » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Giorgio wrote:If I am not mistaken, Shenmue Undub is compiled as a PAL/EUR version, therefore it will not run in NTSC-J Dreamcast's. Probably you can use the Utopia Boot Disk?

I tried both the Utopia boot disk and DC-X, but to no avail.
My DC never had region issues with copies of DC games regardless of region.
It won't 4 example run my genuine PAL Shenmue 1 disk without Utopia, but it loads the PAL version of "Perfect Shenmue" I burned to CD-R just fine. And as I mentioned, the previous 99min. edition worked flawlessly on my DC. That one was coded for PAL as well as far as I know ...

And with genuine PAL disks, without Utopia it doesn't even get to the point of displaying the SEGA logo after the Dreamcast one, it'd just boot me to the menu and tell me to insert a gamedisk. (same for non-selfboot disks btw obviously) But with the 80min. release of Shenmue Undub CD1, it does get to the SEGA screen, indicating it got past the initial boot stage/accepted it as a proper disk, but then crashes back to the main menu.

Sm1th, are there many differences between the old 99min. release and the new one besides space used? Otherwise I might as well use that one, I just wanna play...
Izumi Konata
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby sm1th » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:21 pm

Izumi Konata wrote:
It loads the PAL version of "Perfect Shenmue" I burned to CD-R just fine.

The perfect series is actually mislabeled as PAL.
In fact, I dont think I have seen an actual PAL Shen1 iso b4 this undub release.
Unless you see the 50/60hz selector and sample video load then it is not a true PAL release.

Izumi Konata wrote: And as I mentioned, the previous 99min. edition worked flawlessly on my DC. That one was coded for PAL as well as far as I know ...

The previous 99min version was actually NTSC/U and mislabled as PAL (similar issue that the perfect series had)
The reason for this was that the .gdi files that were publicly available for download were mislabeled for Shenmue PAL region. I made the same mistake using this .gdi that is mislabeled PAL for my first attempt at making the undub disks.
This Revive DC final undub version that i posted in first thread is a true PAL region iso.

Izumi Konata wrote:Sm1th, are there many differences between the old 99min. release and the new one besides space used? Otherwise I might as well use that one, I just wanna play...

Alot of differences...
The old 99min version: Not optimized, Not PAL, Hybrid Subs for free speech, No CDDA, Incomplete
The Revive DC final undub version: Optimized, PAL Region, JP Speech/ENG Subs, CDDA, Complete

I have a spare JP DC Mobo somewhere...let me assemble a console and test it for JP Region.
Until then if you could try this...I have found this issue before for JP Region on other iso releases.

In DC Bios goto Settings>Language (Change Language to English) > Go Back > Play Disk
If this doesnt boot try power on/off and boot disk without going into bios.
sm1th

Postby Dicimania » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:00 pm

wow, I always wanted to play Shenmue 1 with Japanese audio and ENG subs, now I can do it THX to you...
thx 1000x times, I usually play Shenmue on Dec, now I can play it on japanese which is awesome... THX ALOT
Dicimania
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby DasMuel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:51 pm

This game works so much better in Japanese. I don't even want to Tiger Knuckle Fuku-San in the face any more, and Tom no longer sounds like he just shipped out from Glasgow via Moscow.

Takes me back to December 2000, my friend and I skipping English language class and playing Shenmue open-mouthed with cups of tea and and piles of Chocolate Digestive biscuits. Those were the days...

Thanks man - this kicks bottom.
DasMuel
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby IlDucci » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Excellent work. Guess someone should start a Spanish subtitles port...
IlDucci

Postby ShinChuck » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:37 pm

Amazing. The final piece of the dub/sub combination puzzle is in place. Thanks a ton!
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby Izumi Konata » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:46 pm

sm1th wrote:I have a spare JP DC Mobo somewhere...let me assemble a console and test it for JP Region.
Until then if you could try this...I have found this issue before for JP Region on other iso releases.

I have over 100 games on CD-R, of which most work just fine regardless of region (NTSC-U, PAL, NTSC-J) as long as they're copies rather than original GD-ROM. So I don't know why it'd have issues with this release. Though I did run into games I can't seem to run on it properly, like TrickStyle, despite trying multiple releases. I have a pre-2001 NTSC-J DC so it reads copies out of the box.

Then again I don't know much about the DC's boot procedures.

sm1th wrote:In DC Bios goto Settings>Language (Change Language to English) > Go Back > Play Disk
If this doesnt boot try power on/off and boot disk without going into bios.

I have my DC set to English as default, so that can't be the issue...
Izumi Konata
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby sm1th » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:02 am

Izumi Konata wrote: I have over 100 games on CD-R, of which most work just fine regardless of region (NTSC-U, PAL, NTSC-J) as long as they're copies rather than original GD-ROM. So I don't know why it'd have issues with this release. Though I did run into games I can't seem to run on it properly, like TrickStyle, despite trying multiple releases. I have a pre-2001 NTSC-J DC so it reads copies out of the box. Then again I don't know much about the DC's boot procedures. I have my DC set to English as default, so that can't be the issue...

Well I tested the .iso on a JP console that I assembled and it boots fine.
I have no way to give the exact manufacture date of the JP motherboard I used.
I also tested on NTSC/U Models 0,1,2 and they all boot the .iso.
Next, I tested on a modded console that I flashed to PAL region and it boots up.

What I find odd is that Trickstyle does not boot on your system no matter which region .iso you use.
The only thing I can think of is that your console will not boot dreamcast games that use CDDA.
I have not looked at the Trickstyle .iso format yet...but, I am willing to bet it uses CDDA??
Anyhow it looks like you are SOL with your console booting the undub.

Either emulate the .iso with NullDC or purchase a cheap DC.
I have never paid more than 20 bucks for a dreamcast.
You are better off owning a console that will boot all .isos no matter if they use CDDA or not.
Sorry but, I really don't have much else to say about the matter.

**Could the admins here please remove all topics that I have created about UNDUB except this one!
**Leave this thread as it is.
Thanks.
sm1th

Next

Return to Community Projects