Looking for someone willing to extract locations from S2

(Modding and other series related projects)

Looking for someone willing to extract locations from S2

Postby south carmain » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:08 pm

it's been a while now since I wanted to recreate the shenmue 2 world as a .3ds/.fbx download but always encountered extraction problems with 3ds ripper. If anyone who has a lot of time on their hands is willing to extract the pieces and send them to me so I can stitch them together let me know in this topic.

You won't have to do much, just extract the locations using 3d ripper dx, convert the files to .fbx or .3ds then send them to me to do the rest
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Looking for someone willing to extract locations from S2

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:30 am

I've got a few. I was going to update you n a few others in the new year about this kinda shit. Anyway, It's gonna be time-consuming, but much more effective, to stretch/skew them the best you can as a reference only, and re-create entire areas with the help of the in-game maps. Greatly improves framerate, and you can optimise it too. I've got the cave in Guilin, along with the path, stream, cave interior, etc., but I wasn't planning on ripping each area til much later. I take it you've got a small portion of Aberdeen already though?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:51 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: I've got a few. I was going to update you n a few others in the new year about this kinda shit. Anyway, It's gonna be time-consuming, but much more effective, to stretch/skew them the best you can as a reference only, and re-create entire areas with the help of the in-game maps. Greatly improves framerate, and you can optimise it too. I've got the cave in Guilin, along with the path, stream, cave interior, etc., but I wasn't planning on ripping each area til much later. I take it you've got a small portion of Aberdeen already though?

There's no way I'm remaking it, it would transform it in to a hundred hour job where I would just give up under the workload. the gboy rips I had don't work for some reason
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Radar » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:46 am

Taking shots with 3d ripper doesn't require much time, the one who will need a lot of time is you! 3D ripper capture only surface of scene and at output you'll get one single piece of... mesh(polygons) with unwelded vertices. It's all depends on how far you want to go with it. Ideally you'll need to clean a lot of stuff, separate objects, check smoothings groups, fixing textures, etc..
So, if you still want to do it, I can take some shots of one location, and you can try to do something with it. :D
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:12 am

Radar wrote: Taking shots with 3d ripper doesn't require much time, the one who will need a lot of time is you! 3D ripper capture only surface of scene and at output you'll get one single piece of... mesh(polygons) with unwelded vertices. It's all depends on how far you want to go with it. Ideally you'll need to clean a lot of stuff, separate objects, check smoothings groups, fixing textures, etc..
So, if you still want to do it, I can take some shots of one location, and you can try to do something with it. :D

I want to patch together the entire shenmue 2 map so it will take a rather long time even for the person who is just ripping and sending the converted files to me. If you're up for the task send me a pm so we can discuss it further.

Same for other people btw
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Fenix » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:40 pm

That's a lot of work.

The problem is we need an extractor. Some kind of tool will help us to extract anything in the game.

Did Yazgoo extracted the harbor in Shenmue? I remember he posted a pic even.
Yes!

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=41886
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:42 pm

3DRipperX works fine with Shenmue II. The most difficult areas to do will be Guilin, certain sections of Kowloon (if you're after the interiors) and Beverly Hills Wharf. Honestly though, it's not the huge undertaking that people consider it, it's just tedious as fuck.

I'm gonna be doing a lot of ripping in January, so if you want I can hold off on Shenmue I and just jump into Shenmue II first. If you wanna split up the areas to make it more manageable, that'd be preferred. There's a save game collection floating about that'll make things easier.

I reckon the following will work:

- Two people take Aberdeen/Wan Chai exterior.
- One person takes Aberdeen/Wan Chai interior.
- Two people take Kowloon exterior.
- Two people take Kowloon interior.
- One person takes Guilin.

There are other things to take into consideration too though...

- What file tagging would you like to be performed? (e.g. Folder Name: Aberdeen > File Name: Pigeon Park Shot 03)
- Would you like sky boxes and/or character models deleting?
- Would you like the anchor/pivot adjusting to make for easier navigation?
- Would you like the meshes grouped in a more logical hierarchy? (e.g. buildings become one object to make it more manageable, as opposed to dealing with individual polys)
- Would you like scenes to be stretched/skewed into place? (I'm sure you know, but there's a fair amount of distortion which is usually caused by the perspective of the camera)
- Which file format would you prefer?
- Would you like .dds files converted to .png?
- Would you like textures applied to each mesh?

If all you want is the captures and the captures alone so you can do all the work yourself, then this will make it appear less painstaking for contributors and they may be more willing to help. However, if you'd like it to be a more collaborative effort where you don't have some fucking mammoth task on your hands, then it could potentially be completed much quicker, but fewer people will find it an attractive project to be a part of.

As I said, in January I'll do what I can, and I'll try optimising where I can too, as rips seem to be a lot more taxing than user-created objects (may be due to the ridiculous number of verts, gonna have to try doing a mass-welding) So, for example, for basic shapes that aren't a pain in the arse to map textures to, I'd be willing to replace the ripped mesh with an object I've created myself. The main structure/bricks and mortar of a building will become a cube, the floor would just be a set of planes, etc.

If you wanna talk about it in this topic, the Project forum, PM or Facebook just lemme know and we can work summat out.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby maithly » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:33 am

I've got a few. I was going to update you n a few others in the new year about this kinda shit. Anyway, It's gonna be time-consuming, but much more effective, to stretch/skew them the best you can as a reference only, and re-create entire areas with the help of the in-game maps. Greatly improves framerate, and you can optimise it too. I've got the cave in Guilin, along with the path, stream, cave interior, etc., but I wasn't planning on ripping each area til much later. I take it you've got a small portion of Aberdeen already though?
maithly
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Return to Community Projects