Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99/GDI]

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99]

Postby TailsAndy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:53 pm

I can't get it working in NullDC. Regular Shenmue runs fine, but the undub(downloaded from the OP) doesn't work. NullDC's error message is that it failed to load the image. The games it runs fine use GDI images, while the undub uses MDS/MDF. Do I need to convert something? Is there a plugin I need?

EDIT: got an older version of the image reading plugin and it worked.
TailsAndy
Asia Travel Representative

Nintendo FC: TailsAndy
Steam: TailsAndy
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: MK8,

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:47 pm

any updates from grimmenace or atreyu187 on the 99 minute versions with the proper sort order?

if not, can anyone point me in the direction of where to find the tools to re-sort the image?
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Shensoul » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Hello guys.

I have been inactive for some time and I noticed that meanwhile Kogami has finally made the Shenmue version I always dreamed of with J-audio and E-subtitles. Thank you very much Kogami. Your approach was very clever using the US Shenmue with already translated lines instead of my approach to translate every single line with google translator. I never had the idea to even consider this route and so my efforts in 2012 to do a translation (started with CD1 cinematics using google translator and PAL subtitles) could not last very long.

I've read the thread and there are people desiring a CDI release. I made CDI's of every single disc (6 in total) and I could upload them if Kogami allows me to. I created the CDI images with this bootmake application from Sizious like descirbed in my translation guide. If anyone here wants to create their own CDI instead of downloading mine I suggest you to download my translation guide and have a look at chapter 10 (test image creation). If you have a shitty internet connection it will be faster to create your own CDI. In order to get the raw files you need to mount the MDF/MDS file in alcohol120% onto a virtual drive and copy all files from the virtual drive to another folder and then do the procedure described in chapter 10 in my guide:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=44517

The reason I made it was, that I burnt the 99min version on a 99min CD with settings as described but my dreamcast started to make a clicking noise when I inserted the disc. When I insert a normal 700MB CD-R there are no noises and the disc starts normally. The 700MB disc was a CDI image I burnt and so it is either the 99min CD that makes problems (cheap CD's) or it's a faulty burning of my optical drive. Then I tried to start it with nulldc and I saw that MDS file format was not supported on my version of nulldc. I might try to burn those too or just play it on nulldc anyway.

I have tested every single of the 6 images with nulldc and they work fine. Remember nulldc needs DirectX9 to run correctly so in order to get it going you need to install DirectX9 first.

I played CD1 of both versions until dobuita and it's really nice from what I have seen so far. Proper respects to Kogami for this and thank you so much. This year I finally will be able to experience the full Shenmue feeling. I was unable to play CD's 2 and 3 because I have no save file that I could load but I inserted the games and the emulator starts them.

There was some discussion about CDDA in regard of CDI files. I have no clue about CDDA but my CDI's run on nulldc and I guess if they run on nulldc they will run on a console too. If I decide to burn the CDI's and try it on my console again I'll report the results here. Anyway, tell me if you want a CDI release guys.

UPDATE:
OK I made some try and error with burnin the images for my DC. I tried the 99min version MDS with different settings (DAO/SAO, RAW/DAO) and none of the discs will run. The dreamcast starts some horrible clicking noise every time I insert a burnt 99min disc. When I insert a 80min disc with another image I burnt 2 or 3 years ago it works fine.
The manufacturer of the discs I used was Mediarange and a google investigation revealed that these discs won't go well with dreamasts. Intresting is just that I found a amazon review of the german amazon where 1 reviewer stated that the Mediarage 99min discs were fine for his dreamcast, so I'm not sure yet if the discs are just of poor quality or if my burner can't handle them even if there is no error message when I burn them. I bought enough of them and I guess I will be sitting on 50pieces of Mediarange discs that won't work on my dreamcast and there are no alternatives available here to these discs. The only verbatim and TDK discs I can find are only 90min.

I tried the 80min MDS with 2 different types of discs. The first was a Sony 80min CD-R and the second one was a TDK 80min CD-R. Both discs worked on my dreamcast but the TDK one has problems with starting so I had to try 3 times before it booted up. The Sony disc booted up on my first try. I guess the Sony discs must have a better quality. I might try some more burning and I will update here.
Shensoul

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Shensoul wrote: Hello guys.

I have been inactive for some time and I noticed that meanwhile Kogami has finally made the Shenmue version I always dreamed of with J-audio and E-subtitles. Thank you very much Kogami. Your approach was very clever using the US Shenmue with already translated lines instead of my approach to translate every single line with google translator. I never had the idea to even consider this route and so my efforts in 2012 to do a translation (started with CD1 cinematics using google translator and PAL subtitles) could not last very long.

I've read the thread and there are people desiring a CDI release. I made CDI's of every single disc (6 in total) and I could upload them if Kogami allows me to. I created the CDI images with this bootmake application from Sizious like descirbed in my translation guide. If anyone here wants to create their own CDI instead of downloading mine I suggest you to download my translation guide and have a look at chapter 10 (test image creation). If you have a shitty internet connection it will be faster to create your own CDI. In order to get the raw files you need to mount the MDF/MDS file in alcohol120% onto a virtual drive and copy all files from the virtual drive to another folder and then do the procedure described in chapter 10 in my guide:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=44517

The reason I made it was, that I burnt the 99min version on a 99min CD with settings as described but my dreamcast started to make a clicking noise when I inserted the disc. When I insert a normal 700MB CD-R there are no noises and the disc starts normally. The 700MB disc was a CDI image I burnt and so it is either the 99min CD that makes problems (cheap CD's) or it's a faulty burning of my optical drive. Then I tried to start it with nulldc and I saw that MDS file format was not supported on my version of nulldc. I might try to burn those too or just play it on nulldc anyway.

I have tested every single of the 6 images with nulldc and they work fine. Remember nulldc needs DirectX9 to run correctly so in order to get it going you need to install DirectX9 first.

I played CD1 of both versions until dobuita and it's really nice from what I have seen so far. Proper respects to Kogami for this and thank you so much. This year I finally will be able to experience the full Shenmue feeling. I was unable to play CD's 2 and 3 because I have no save file that I could load but I inserted the games and the emulator starts them.

There was some discussion about CDDA in regard of CDI files. I have no clue about CDDA but my CDI's run on nulldc and I guess if they run on nulldc they will run on a console too. If I decide to burn the CDI's and try it on my console again I'll report the results here. Anyway, tell me if you want a CDI release guys.

UPDATE:
OK I made some try and error with burnin the images for my DC. I tried the 99min version MDS with different settings (DAO/SAO, RAW/DAO) and none of the discs will run. The dreamcast starts some horrible clicking noise every time I insert a burnt 99min disc. When I insert a 80min disc with another image I burnt 2 or 3 years ago it works fine.
The manufacturer of the discs I used was Mediarange and a google investigation revealed that these discs won't go well with dreamasts. Intresting is just that I found a amazon review of the german amazon where 1 reviewer stated that the Mediarage 99min discs were fine for his dreamcast, so I'm not sure yet if the discs are just of poor quality or if my burner can't handle them even if there is no error message when I burn them. I bought enough of them and I guess I will be sitting on 50pieces of Mediarange discs that won't work on my dreamcast and there are no alternatives available here to these discs. The only verbatim and TDK discs I can find are only 90min.

I tried the 80min MDS with 2 different types of discs. The first was a Sony 80min CD-R and the second one was a TDK 80min CD-R. Both discs worked on my dreamcast but the TDK one has problems with starting so I had to try 3 times before it booted up. The Sony disc booted up on my first try. I guess the Sony discs must have a better quality. I might try some more burning and I will update here.

Sony discs worked for me on the 99min release.

I also know that banana digital are horrible for the DC laser.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby tomson » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:05 am

Hi kogami,I'm a Chinese translator,and I had been make shenmue1 cd1&cd2 to Chinese.
but I dont know how to mod the note and some pictures.
I know the note text in 1ST_READ.BIN,but i cant pichup there text. And I serched folder"SPRITE" & "TITLE",,some picture not fond.
so,hope you help me! thx a lot
sorry my english is very poor :cry:
tomson
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Ryuman » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Hello, I'm new here and using this mod to play Shenmue for the first time. First off, thank you very much kogami, this is really an ideal way to experience the game IMO.
Now I'm on the beginning disc 2 but am facing a large issue preventing my progress, so I'll have to use something else I think.
Ryuman

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: KH 2.5

Postby JMan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:11 am

I'm a little late to the party but just downloaded this and the end result is really impressive. I have played up until the first time Ryo enters Dobuita and have so far had no problems, though I understand from other people's comments that there may be a glitch on disc 2 which I'll likely have to do a disc swap to get past. Otherwise, its like Christmas morning over at my end. Thanks to Sm1th for pioneering this project and to Kogami for perfecting it.

Resources I used: Alcohol 120 & Maxwell 700mb/80min CDRs.
JMan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Out Run » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:58 am

I just found out about this recently and I've been playing it. I got through disc 1 and was able to boot into disc 2, but it keeps freezing at the same time. I've tried it on 2 different Dreamcasts and it freezes at the exact same place. It's at the part where Hisaka asks you to talk to Mai, and then you walk past the warehouses, and it goes to a cutscene. It freezes at the part where there's supposed to be a cutscene. The music continues playing as well as the ambient sound effects of the harbor, but the screen is black and the controls do nothing. I tried opening the tray and the disc was still spinning. At some point the disc stopped and I was able to remove it, but the music continued indefinitely.

Is there any way to get past this point? I have both the US and Japanese versions of Shenmue, if that's of any use. I don't have the PAL version, though. I'm using the 80 minute version on some Sony CD-Rs. I don't have any other CD-Rs.
Out Run
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby kogami » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:20 am

This moment is buggy, I solved the problem but I have not yet released the fix.

http://youtu.be/8V7jO0DNjd8
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Out Run » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:36 am

kogami wrote: This moment is buggy, I solved the problem but I have not yet released the fix.

http://youtu.be/8V7jO0DNjd8

It freezes on my machines at around 1:46 in that video. The screen fades to black and then it freezes.
Out Run
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Ziming » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:18 am

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby VoidKeeper » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:25 am

Good morning!

So I've been doing a lot of testing of this release and I'd like to post everything that went wrong and right with all of it.

First things first, the method of burning, I tried 2 different burners, with 2 types of media and 2 different Dreamcasts, so as to try and pinpoint problems, I've been using 80Min media because my 900MB discs haven't arrived yet (although if what has been said is true mediarange sucks for DC, but I'll confirm when they arrive).

So that is Dreamcast 1 and 2, burner 1 and 2 and media type TDK or Verbatim. All of it SAO/DAO, but I'm currently trying a RAW/DAO because all else failed.

Disc 1 80Min - Worked fine, few problems, but nothing major, mostly just the 3% missing translation as far as I could tell. I finished disc 1 without much hassle. So I didn't burn any other copy.

Disc 2 80Min, here's where I start having problems, I get just about the same results with ANY of the media I've used and ANY combination of burning method:

Problem 1, the docks, the first disc I used (Verbatim) didn't show any problems at first, in fact, I got pretty far without any problems at all, that is until I got to the dream sequence where you see both mirrors while it's snowing and there's an eagle flying, after I wake up, the game automatically opens the journal, after I close it, it just goes to a black screen, it wouldn't load, it just would sit there, not even trying to read the disc.

This is where the TDK copy I burnt comes into play, I burned that second copy, boots fine and I try to get past the same sequence, it still fails.

So now I'm desperate and I try to do a disc swap with a regular version of the game (Although, I'm not sure if it's and EU release or a US copy, because it came with the console when I bought it and it came with a bunch of burnt CDs so I don't know if most of them are any good), it doesn't work, it just locks up the game after the swap. Loading doesn't work either, that is why I suspect it's a US copy, I may try to find the regular EU ISO and see if that works.

So, with all failing, I just try and load up an older save, get through the game again, figure it's some saving glitch (since this sequence happens JUST as you are saving the game and go to bed), this, is where more problems start to pop up.

The biggest problem are the docks, one of the problems is that no NPCs load, at all, but I can't figure out why this happens, it seems to occur randomly, if I try to go through any gate which should have a guard on it, the game just freezes, it tries to load the sequence but since the NPC isn't there, Ryo just gets stuck in cinematic sequence loading Limbo. Sometimes going into a building fixes this, sometimes it freezes as it loads the convenience store (for instance).

Had a weird problem with a dialog sequence as well, after kicking two school girl asses, trying to help the lady that sells lunches educate her little sister, I go to tell her how it went and the game just freaks out for some reason, the dialog starts normal, but then they just start spewing random lines from any other conversation these two characters could have, the camera pans as it normally does on some dialogs sequences, while nobody's talking, it was weird and suddenly the dialog ends and I'm carrying two bags with food without any context at all, ofc I understood what happened, but now I don't know what she said xD.

Long story short anyway, I got to the dream sequence again and surprise surprise, it locks up... I'm beginning to give up hope, I have no clue what the problem is except for the image itself, it COULD be one of my burners, they suck honestly, thinking of getting a plextor, but still, I don't usually have any problems with them, given the nature of this beast, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a burner related issue, rather than the image itself, although someone else mentioned having problems with the number 8 warehouse.

Right now, I'm trying a RAW/DAO copy, it failed with the save file just before the dream, but I wanna try to load an older save with this copy (started from a jump to disk 2 save), see if something is up, still have problems at the docks, but it's manageable for the most part. It's actually the first time I'm playing this game, if I wasn't enjoying it so much, I wouldn't go through so many replays XD, I just can't stand the english dub =X it's soooo baaaad, I'd rather play this version with bugs than a normal version without bugs, ofc if I can't fix the problem, I may just have to give up, even if it means starting over cause the save doesn't work.

I'll keep posting as I try new things, specially once my 900MB come in, also gotta try finding a normal EU version, see if the save files are compatible then, but I have some doubts =X

EDIT: Good news! After redoing disc 2 for the second time, 1st time with the SAO/DAO which didn't work, this time with the RAW/DAO, it worked!!!!!! I got past the dream sequence and no black screen.

Of course, I still need to use this new save to test out the previous SAO/DAO copies, just to see if the problem was actually the save file, or really the burning method, I'll try to post results later, but for now, I just want to get back to the game!!! =D
VoidKeeper
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby kogami » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Thank you for the feedback, iso are not optimized I recognize.

I really should take the time to redo them, but lack of time and mostly I'm on another draft translation of a Super Famicom game that takes me a long time.
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby slaworo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:24 am

To Out Run: You can use standard Shenmue PAL version to skip freezing moments on CD2 of Undub version (there are more than one) e.g. before the cutscene you should save the game, then load the game on the Shenmue PAL to finish the cutscene, again save the game and load the Undub version. Till kogami will be able to release fixed CD I think it's the only way to complete CD2.
slaworo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Shenmue undub

Postby kogami » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:53 am

I think know the technical reason for all these hassles, I used a function to delete the file that are identical by burning them only one time on the disc to gain size. I have to redo the iso removing this function because some Dreamcast does not support this mode.

The problem is that Shenmue CD 2 does not fit on a CD-R 80 with all NPC voice...

I should delete a voice packet, will you be interested in such a version?
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects