Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99/GDI]

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99]

Postby IlDucci » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:43 pm

comradesnarky wrote:Don't use -duplicates-once. It doesn't check hashes to ensure that the files are true duplicates. This can cause issues with the game if mkisofs matches a file that isn't actually a duplicate. If you need linking to be done I can do it in OS X and use -cache-inodes so that you have true hardlinks.

As I've said, -duplicates-once can be harmful or helpful depending on the mkisofs version you are using. Have you checked the md5 fork, comradesnarky?
IlDucci
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby comradesnarky » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:24 am

IlDucci wrote:
comradesnarky wrote:Don't use -duplicates-once. It doesn't check hashes to ensure that the files are true duplicates. This can cause issues with the game if mkisofs matches a file that isn't actually a duplicate. If you need linking to be done I can do it in OS X and use -cache-inodes so that you have true hardlinks.

As I've said, -duplicates-once can be harmful or helpful depending on the mkisofs version you are using. Have you checked the md5 fork, comradesnarky?

I honestly stopped bothering with it once I ran into issues so I never checked. I just link the files myself and use -cache-inodes now.
comradesnarky
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

XBL: comradesnarky

Postby SonikSky » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:52 pm

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a while. I'm just curious about the state of the 99MIN versions that are available. Are there any optimized for CD-R versions of the 99min?

Does anyone know how this compares to the 80-Min ReviveDC release?
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... c-release/
SonikSky
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: SonikSky
Nintendo FC: SonikSky
Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby SonikSky » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:09 pm

Since I haven't gotten any responses I will draw my own conclusions...

It seems that the 80min ReviveDC version I linked in my previous post is in fact, the best. It's the most stable and doesn't have any performance issues and also doesn't need downsampling to fit on 80min CD-R because it has been optimized well. There's no skipping, freezing or slowdown when reading your note book. Plus it has all games, assets and music intact without needing a 99-min CD-R/

Kogami, your efforts are appreciated but I just wanted to clear this up so fans know which version is the best to go for.

Below here is currently the best Undub version of Shenmue available.
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... c-release/
SonikSky
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby sm1th » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:44 am

SonikSky, what you don't understand about the differences is that Kogami has translated the subs for the entire game.
The Revive-DC version doesn't have all of the Free Speech, since the method I used to mod the files is completely different from Kogami's version.
Once Kogami optimizes his versions the Revive-DC undub will become obsolete.

Out of respect please refrain from this kind of debate over which undub version to choose.
Frankly I could give a damn what version some1 downloads.
sm1th

Postby SonikSky » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:33 pm

Hey Sm1th! Thanks for the reply. I do understand that, but it seems there are pros and cons to both. Weighing them in, it still seems the Revive DC one is more stable even though Kogami's is more accurately translated and contains all audio speech (If I'm understanding this correctly). I would love to have an optimized version of Kogami's but from what I understand that isn't going to be happening and someone had also told me the ReviveDC team had disbanded.

I do think it's important to at least point out the pros and cons so people know.
SonikSky
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:50 pm

I was so excited to see kogami working on this again, don't tell me interest has fizzled!
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Drakul » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:40 pm

The response to the last post I made (granted, in French) said that his problem is he's working on several things at once that pull his attention in many directions.

- Bahamut Lagoon transaltion
- FF VI hack
- Super Mario RPG patch update
- Shemue Undub update

So yeah I don't think he's dropped it but his fancy for completing it comes and goes.
We need to find a way to kick his ass and get going! :rotflmao:
Drakul

Postby GameOverYeah » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:56 am

Hey guys

This is my first post. Sorry if what I am about to say is very dumb.

But basically, I have been having problems with Shenmue Undub.

The first disc I played through with no problems at all.

But then with the second disc it keeps freezing, forcing me to play a lot of segments over and over again (since you can only save before Ryo goes to sleep). It has gotten to the point where it is almost unplayable. It really detracts from your immersion in the story if you keep having to play over sequences.

I have never had these freezing issues (well I shouldn't say NEVER, but certainly not like this) with the original game discs. Is it because these are CD-Rs?

Or perhaps it is because I used the 700 MB CD-Rs and not the double density ones?

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I really love Undub and so far I think it is the definitive version of the game (nostalgia be damned, I can't stand the English dub). So I want to finish it. But not with all the freezing.

Thanks!
GameOverYeah
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby wataro » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:13 am

GameOverYeah wrote: Is it because these are CD-Rs?

oh disk 2 problems on DC hardware too?
what happens, no NPC black screen dosent load cut scenes?

I realise how old your post is, hope you didnt give up lol
have these problems on emulator

posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=47499

does the 3% for v1.1 still need to be translated?
wataro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby sm1th » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:04 pm

Kogami,

If you can just use the sort order from the undub version I and ReviveDC made.
Use gdi tools to extract the sort.txt or use isobuster.
Dont use duplicates-once in mkisofs.
On disk 3 only use 2 cdda (leave the 2 second weird audio cdda out of it..) *this way motorcycle scene plays perfect
On disk 1 remember to use cdda to avoid heartbeats bar glitch.
Use all of the data excluding the speech files from the undub version I and ReviveDC made. (since people are saying some textures are glitched)
Open the ReviveDC undub in isobuster and view the start of 2nd session lba in hex.
Find the CD00 flags and hex edit to the correct lba that you prefer.
If you do this it shouldn't take more than an hour to have the undub completed and ready to be uploaded.
Also If you want to use the cinematic speech from my version feel free to do so.
I would say that all of the the cinematics in ReviveDC version are damn close to perfect. (maybe 98 percent complete) thats good enough.
The key is that your version has the complete undub of FREE Speech.
If you need the jap speech audio files I have all of them already downsampled.

Maybe try the -cache-inodes in mkisofs that comrade suggested?
-cache-inodes wrote: Cache inode and device numbers to find hard links to files. If mkisofs finds a hard link (a file with multiple names), then the file will only appear once on the CD. This helps to save space on the CD. The option -cache-inodes is default on UNIX like operating systems. Be careful when using this option on a filesystem without unique inode numbers as it may result in files containing the wrong content on CD.

If you do this your version should have no issues whatsoever.
sm1th

Postby Drakul » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:33 am

You guys need to finish this to celebrate Shenmue 3!
Let's have all the games in JAP with subs :)
Drakul

Postby Seffirosu » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi, can someone tell me how to make this work with nullDC emulator? I downloaded all three CD-R 99 discs from here and then load nullDC emulator and go to file - boot, select image file - choose the first disc (downloaded from here) named Shenmue_Undub_Disc1_(CD-R_99).MDS which is only 2KB? the other one is .MDF and correct file size but nullDC wont let me open that one...

I tried to convert the .MDF to .CDI and .ISO but I can't get it to work... :( Can anyone help me out with a method to get it to work with nullDC? I just really want to try this game !
Seffirosu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby javier himura » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:44 am

Thank you for the mod, this is awsome. I wanted to play Shenmue 1 with japanesse dub sicen i first played Shenmue 2 in my DC

BTW, there is any undub version of shenmue 2? Just to play Shenmue 2 for DC with Yuan male voice
javier himura
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Anthony817 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:51 pm

The official PAL release uses only the original Japanese audio so it is the male voice in the European version I thought.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects