Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99/GDI]

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99]

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:02 am

RicoDredd wrote: Who translated this? Kogami?

It's like someone just put the original script through Google Translate and made grammatical/syntax refinements. I'm sorry, it's irritating to read "Ichiro" when Ryu obviously says "Sakurada". I mean, there's a valid point to adjust the written subtitles from the spoken dialogue to obtain the correct context, but the before-mentioned example is a bit blatant.

It's not a translation. The English subtitles come from the PAL (or NTSC) version of Shenmue and the Japanese dubbing (of course) from the JAP version. Actually, a more complex method has been applied to make this version, as explained here.
So, in English they spell the first name of the person (and that's what is being shown on screen in the subtitles) and in Japanese they spell the last name (what you hear). Ichiro's last name is Sakurada and that is (and as explained) why you hear the last name instead of the first.
In any case, this is a work from a fan, who didn't get paid for it. And to go even further and change every first name into the subtitles files, to the relevant last name so as to match the Japanese dubbing, while that may sounds nice, maybe it would be overkill.

P.S.: It's Ryo, not Ryu.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby CodingGenesis » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:17 am

Furthermore, it's not only about translation, it's also about localization. In Japan and most East Asian countries people refer to one another with their family names, rather than their first names, in contrast to English speaking countries. This is a matter each translator has to put quite some thought into for each project. How much translating-only do I want to do, and how much localization work do I want to do? If ones Japanese is good enough to play the game in Japanese, stick with that. If it's not, rely on the English subtitles. That's my view on it. Sega localized Shenmue I, as can be seen by Ryo referring to people by their first names in the English version of the game.
CodingGenesis
Rockman X
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby ShenSun » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:07 am

RicoDredd wrote: Who translated this? Kogami?

It's like someone just put the original script through Google Translate and made grammatical/syntax refinements. I'm sorry, it's irritating to read "Ichiro" when Ryu obviously says "Sakurada". I mean, there's a valid point to adjust the written subtitles from the spoken dialogue to obtain the correct context, but the before-mentioned example is a bit blatant.

Beggars cant be choosers.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby dandyconejellos » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm using NullDC to emulate the Undub and everything has been pretty good for the most part. Except I'm at a point where it just freezes everytime. Wondering if anyone has come across this. I'm in the part where the travel agency guy will call me tomorrow. I go to sleep, and see one of the Sha Hua dream cutscenes. After I wake up and put away the journal it just freezes. Ryo just sits there, can't move, can't open up any menu. Would really like to figure out how to fix this.
Last edited by dandyconejellos on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dandyconejellos
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby brad86 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:06 am

dandyconejellos wrote: I'm using NullDC to emulate the Undub and everything has been pretty good for the most part. Accept I'm at a point where it just freezes everytime. Wondering if anyone has come across this. I'm in the part where the travel agency guy will call me tomorrow. I go to sleep, and see one of the Sha Hua dream cutscenes. After I wake up and put away the journal it just freezes. Ryo just sits there, can't move, can't open up any menu. Would really like to figure out how to fix this.

Try this version of NullDC and see if it still happens viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46995
brad86
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby dandyconejellos » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:44 am

brad86 wrote:
dandyconejellos wrote: I'm using NullDC to emulate the Undub and everything has been pretty good for the most part. Accept I'm at a point where it just freezes everytime. Wondering if anyone has come across this. I'm in the part where the travel agency guy will call me tomorrow. I go to sleep, and see one of the Sha Hua dream cutscenes. After I wake up and put away the journal it just freezes. Ryo just sits there, can't move, can't open up any menu. Would really like to figure out how to fix this.

Try this version of NullDC and see if it still happens viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46995

It wasn't a NullDC problem. I had the idea later to just use a different PAL ROM from that save. I loaded up the save of the different ROM, it loaded fine, got past the cutscene, saved it, then went back to the original ROM. I mean it's not a fix, but it worked. lol
dandyconejellos
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby flacito » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:50 pm

I'm on DISC 2 now and it freezes a lot. For example: when I enter old warehouse 8 and the security guard tells me I'm now allowed to be in (froze twice here), and then another time at the shortcut with Hisaka-san and her sister. After that I quit the game.

Anyone experienced something alike? What could this be?
flacito
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Himuro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm trying go to play this is in nulldc and having no luck. Thanks for the hard work, kogami, you sweet heart.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby djzach » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:48 am

this looks amazing.
just incredible work, Kogami. I cannot wait to try this...
been reading for a while, and I'm sure if I was following sooner I would understand, but please someone humour me:

I just recently dusted off my dreamcast, and I haven't played shenmue since it first came out, so this will be my first time playing it again :roll:

1. is this version fully playable and enjoyable without direct memory of the story line? as I would rather jump right into this rather than enduring the terrible english voice acting first.

2a. is the 80min version not recommended? playable?
2b. if not, is anyone actually working on optimizing this for 80min cdr?
I would love to try for the 99min version, but it seems 99minute cdrs are hard to come by and also hard to come by is a burner that can utilize them properly,,
2c. any info on how I can get started on acquiring/burning these mythical 99min cds?

again, sorry for asking questions that are probably common knowledge in this community, but I am eager to get my shenmue on \:D/

thanks in advance!
z
Last edited by djzach on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
djzach
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Studie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:33 pm

Having trouble burning CD 3 on Alcohol. Having some kinda cue error.
First two burned no problem on a 99min.
Studie

Currently playing: Yakuza on PS3

Postby djzach » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:28 am

anyone? I want to play this game like you wouldn't believe.
another thought... would anyone who has access to these 99min cdrs be willing to mail me a copy of the 99min undub?
please please please
djzach
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Ziming » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:09 am

My suggestion is to play this undub on a emulator like demul or nulldc. It's too much trouble to burn a CD-R and if you do it will slowly kill your gd-rom drive.

Ziming has received a thanks from: shengoro86
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Studie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:16 am

djzach wrote: anyone? I want to play this game like you wouldn't believe.
another thought... would anyone who has access to these 99min cdrs be willing to mail me a copy of the 99min undub?
please please please

I burned disc 1 and 2 on to a 99min CDR already but then the third disc won't burn properly... :cry:

Ziming wrote: My suggestion is to play this undub on a emulator like demul or nulldc. It's too much trouble to burn a CD-R and if you do it will slowly kill your gd-rom drive.

I'll probably have to..
Studie

Currently playing: Yakuza on PS3

Postby djzach » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:04 am

that's very unfortunate
djzach
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby oasis789 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Thank you Kogami for all your hard work! Thanks also bishopcruz for helping with the translation.

Just to clarify: What are the differences between this undub and the sm1th undub? I read through the thread but it's still unclear to me.
oasis789
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects