Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99/GDI]

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99]

Postby sm1th » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:43 pm

kogami wrote:the problem that remains to be solved and make it region free, if anyone knows a solution to this problem?

What if you try testing various ip.bin's from katana dev kit gd-rom's i.e (demo, prototypes, sdk's, etc) and then bin hack the ip.bin lba's to work with shenmue? use the stock lba that the retail shenmue gd-rom uses..

I don't think the katana gd-rom's are region locked?

I don't think that a shenmue .gdi would be region locked after this method?

And the gdemu might boot it normally?
sm1th
Master of the Three Blades

Postby kogami » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:24 pm

I use the tool "DC Image Info v1.1" but it does not work, after I selected the tool "binhack32.exe" with LBA 45000 for ip.bin, same result as the first...

After searching the internet I found this "GDRom Explorer v1.6.2" witch option

- Export GDI for GDEMU, with region-free and VGA patches (and also EDC/ECC data re-generation).

it works fine (on emulator, not yet tested for GDEMU for the moment).
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby sm1th » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:08 pm

kogami wrote: I use the tool "DC Image Info v1.1" but it does not work, after I selected the tool "binhack32.exe" with LBA 45000 for ip.bin, same result as the first...

After searching the internet I found this "GDRom Explorer v1.6.2" witch option

- Export GDI for GDEMU, with region-free and VGA patches (and also EDC/ECC data re-generation).

it works fine (on emulator, not yet tested for GDEMU for the moment).

GDIExplorer works and there are also some non-gui tools available to extract a .gdi.

Good thing about gdi explorer is you can extract a sort file from the gdi..(thus giving you a proper sort order)

I think gdemu and the other gd rom emulators that have been made allow direct booting of the ip.bin if the ip.bin is in the root game folder. Maybe that was just for dreamshell? I don't own a gd emu yet...but, soon I will buy one.

So if you cant simply binhack a katana gd rom's ip.bin and place it in the root game directory, then you will need to overwrite the existing one in track02.bin.. or is it track03.bin?? ( I think it is track03 i don't remember ). Then you will need to create a new trackXX.bin adding the newly modded ip.bin and all other extracted data.

Anyhow it would be worth a try. If you find out this method works it would make region locked .gdi's no longer an issue.

I would goto assembler games forums and see what katana gd rips are available and go from there.

If the patched katana ip bin method fails then you could make a patcher.exe for shenmue .gdi to enable: PAL region, or NTSC/U, or NTSC/JP. Then the gdi could be patched and boot any region you choose. Or make the user hex edit the files themselves.

*If you try using a katana gd-rom's ip.bin remember to hack the lba with 45000 or w/e the stock lba is for that specific game i.e Shenmue. Also you should enable the vga flags etc.
sm1th

Postby sm1th » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Wait gdi explorer has an option to patch region, vga flags? If so problem solved lol

That would have saved the previous wall of text.
sm1th

Postby kogami » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Yes, the problem is solved ^^
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby sm1th » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:01 pm

Kogami, what if you merged your version with mine?

Use the optimized sort order/cdda lba etc., coca-cola texture swaps, all of the cinematic .afs files, then use the free speech .afs files from your version.

With the downsampled free speech files it should fit 80min cd-r's.
If not I have downsampled free speech jp files also depending on what sample rate you went with.

As for the re-linking of files for conserving space I will message someone for the app if possible.
From what I remember it is a linux app.
I don't think the mkisofs paramater 'duplicates-once' is sufficient..

If anything a collaboration for remaking an optimized version would be good.
There is still the issue with the disk that has the ryo motorbike scene that plays that damn intro am2 cdda part before the music on the revive dc release lol. (this is why that disk should only use 2 cdda and not all 3)
Also I think the ending is missing the speech?? I don't remember.

*Also I will look into whether or not I can upload some dc tools in the near future for shenmue dojo.

Let me know.

sm1th has received a thanks from: johnvivant
sm1th

Postby sm1th » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:53 pm

I take it that you are not interested in a collaboration.
This is completely OK.. Not a problem.
Feel free to use anything you want from my undub version.
If you need any help in the future let me know.
sm1th

Postby kogami » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:59 pm

I have not had time to respond, I'll think about it.
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Sanzn » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:45 pm

Thanks for making this Kogami. I've finally decided to try it out so I can play through both games with Japanese dialogue. I know both are PAL builds so will I need a boot disk to make this start on my NA dreamcast? I bought the toro so i could get VGA signal so I think I should be good as far as the video output goes. I spent like over 200 dollars for all the stuff so I'm really hoping I can get this to work. The only issue i see myself running into is the burning of the cd's. I bought 99 min cd-r's and that's where everyone seems to be having problems, burning it and actually getting it to work all the way through. But I'll try my best and let you know if I get it to work :3

(also I've looked through the thread a few times to get all the info, seems like the biggest problem people had was getting disk 2 not to crash/freeze or whatever. Has that been fixed? And this is probably a stupid question but have you actually fully played through this build? like you managed to fully complete the game with this undub?)
Sanzn
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby johnvivant » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:56 pm

sm1th wrote: Kogami, what if you merged your version with mine?

Use the optimized sort order/cdda lba etc., coca-cola texture swaps, all of the cinematic .afs files, then use the free speech .afs files from your version.

With the downsampled free speech files it should fit 80min cd-r's.
If not I have downsampled free speech jp files also depending on what sample rate you went with.

As for the re-linking of files for conserving space I will message someone for the app if possible.
From what I remember it is a linux app.
I don't think the mkisofs paramater 'duplicates-once' is sufficient..

If anything a collaboration for remaking an optimized version would be good.
There is still the issue with the disk that has the ryo motorbike scene that plays that damn intro am2 cdda part before the music on the revive dc release lol. (this is why that disk should only use 2 cdda and not all 3)
Also I think the ending is missing the speech?? I don't remember.

*Also I will look into whether or not I can upload some dc tools in the near future for shenmue dojo.

Let me know.

combining smith's optimization for 80min and kogami's translation would be an amazing release. hope it happens.

-yeah smith's version was missing the audio for poem narration at the very end.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:55 pm

There is no narration for the poem in the Japanese version.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby johnvivant » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:50 pm

BlueMue wrote: There is no narration for the poem in the Japanese version.

i didn't know that. its best left silent then to be consistent with the japanese version. unless some very clever person knows how to insert subtitles for that section. its no big deal either way.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Drakul » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:33 pm

It's nice to see Kogami, sm1th and IlDucci back at it!
I hope we get a wonderful love monster from both versions, perfected and then we can call it day for a job well done.

Although I see nothing's been posted for 2 weeks so not sure....

Kogami, abandonne pas, t'es si proche de la version parfaite ce serait dommage de lacher maintenant :)
Drakul

Postby kogami » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:08 pm

Mon defaut c'est que je travail sur 1000 chose à la fois ^^

Traduction de Bahamut Lagoon, hack de Final Fantasy VI et je prépare la sortie d'une mise à jour de mon patch de Super Mario RPG, et faut aussi que je trouve le temps de sortir une nouvelle version de Shenmue Undub.

Pas facile de trouver le temps pour tout faire...
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby comradesnarky » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:34 am

kogami wrote: what command you use?

mkisofs -C 0,21588 -V SHENMUE_DISC3 -G IP.BIN -sort sorttxt.txt -duplicates-once -joliet -rock -l -o test.iso data

You don't need to use -joliet and -rock.

Your command should look like this:

Code: Select all
mkisofs -C 0,21588 -V SHENMUE_DISC3 -G IP.BIN -sort sorttxt.txt -l -o test.iso data

Don't use -duplicates-once. It doesn't check hashes to ensure that the files are true duplicates. This can cause issues with the game if mkisofs matches a file that isn't actually a duplicate. If you need linking to be done I can do it in OS X and use -cache-inodes so that you have true hardlinks.

Also, not sure if you're aware but if you use your cdrecord command for your CDDA like this...

Code: Select all
cdrecord dev=x,x,x -audio -dao -pad -multi track*.wav

Then you'll avoid the pregap that adds 2 seconds to the tracks. This will save you space as well. :D
comradesnarky
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

XBL: comradesnarky
Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects