What's Shenmue translation project V1.0.4 UPDATED!

(Modding and other series related projects)

What's Shenmue translation project V1.0.4 UPDATED!

Postby IlDucci » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Well, gentlemen, after nearly half a year of work, we can release the first version of our What's Shenmue translation patch.
V1.0.4 Download link - MEGA Mirror

And here's some nifty extras: Covers and manuals - MEGA Mirror

And here's the men and women who have achieved the completion of this project:
ALL VERSIONS
Hacking/Coding: YZB, PacoChan, Indiket, IlDucci
Graphics Editing: BlueMue, IlDucci, Gin
Creation of the ShenTrad Toolset: SiZious, Ayla, Manic, ShenDream

ENGLISH VERSION
Translation: Brett "Switch" Chandler, Rakim
Proofreading: Merlin Fontana

SPANISH VERSION
Translation (Based on the English Version): IlDucci, TheFireRed
Testing: Indiket, Releon
Contains material from the Shenmue I Spanish Fantranslation Project by Ryo Suzuki, IlDucci, el_capo, xulikotony & PacoChan.

GERMAN VERSION
(Based on the English Version)
Main translator: BlueMue

BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE VERSION
(Based on the English Version)
Main translator: LucasPreacherOfHell

See the readme file for the full credit list, including Special Thanks and other information.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

We are doing the release as a patcher and not as a full image because of, more than legal issues, my personal policy as a romhacker/fantranslator. I'd like to keep things small and manageable. People who have the original GD-ROM and the SD Card Adapter should have no problems dumping their disc into a GDI image (.BIN or .ISO makes no difference), but I know this site doesn't go against releases, so: I know it's a bit hard finding a GDI image online, but it's possible. If you folks are going to do a full release, I know I can't stop you so I'd just ask you to do not make profit out of us.

That said, let's go to the details: The patcher has been tested with the following discs:
- 610-7179-0133A 11M1 o 11MB1 (TOSEC Version)
- 610-7179-0133A H1723E.

Both of those are the Blue Disc versions, any other Blue Disc or the Famitsu releases have not been tested. Should be fine if the data tracks are identical (We're fiddling with the audio tracks, but we're not needing an exact equivalent of them, which seems to be the biggest difference between versions).

And now the specifics. All the menus, texts and subtitles have been fully translated into English, Spanish and German. The patcher is multi-language, so you should be able to select your language there. The process lasts around 10 minutes or so. The patcher could be a great example that, with a little modification, we could have a Shenmue modding tool for small mods (Such as the Forklift one, bigger stuff like Undubs won't have that of a meaning).

The patcher takes a GDI image and turns it into a MDS/MDF image file that should run on a real hardware or in emulator. It has a dummy file for 700MB full size, all the CDDA tracks have been preserved thanks to the previous research by HyKan, and we've got a sortfile for reordering stuff (We've moved towards the inner part beta/unused stuff that's around). It's not the best optimization but it can be improved. Nothing is ripped or downsampled.

We've translated a couple of extra needed graphics here and there, such as the "Closed" signs in the shops that are not available for the demo (like Tomato Convenience Store), Yukawa's Business Card or the poster from the ending scene. There's a couple of things I'd like to improve in a possible future release, but for now, we've done all we could. The rest is like it was in the original game.

Some troubleshooting: We've used Demul 0.5.8.2. for the emulation testing, and so far the only major issue it has is that some graphics show borders instead of being transparent. That doesn't happen in real console. In real console we've seen some delays with the activation of lipsynch or subtitles, which I don't know if it's our fault or if it already happened in the unmodified game.

If the patcher dumps some error, please report it back here, on this topic. The patcher will usually allow you to copy the error to the Clipboard, and also generate a log.txt file in the same folder where the application is. Upload both and send them here.

And... I'm tired as hell, we've been working on the last issues until the last minute. If I'm missing stuff, it's either on the readme or you can ask me here, as I'll be doing the English troubleshooting on this topic. Enjoy.
Original Post wrote:(EDIT: Original title was "Why What's Shenmue never got a translation attempt?")

I just dissected What's Shenmue for fun, thanks to Sizious tools:
- The subtitles script has (EDITED) 67.748 bytes of japanese text.
- The FACEs part have been directly copypasted from the Passport translation.
- All the graphics are editable.
- The small font is included and working so we have 44x44 characters per line.

Only difficulties:
- Like with the main games, editing the 1ST_READ.BIN.
- Text justification is odd. Mostly justified to the left, but sometimes centered. We can re-center it the ugly way (Adding spaces to the left)
- Any extra hacks needed: Loading screens and other small stuff. There's a presumed Japanese language changer in the game to remove.

I tried to search around this forum but with no results. So, I'm just posing the question here. Sizious made it possible, yes, so, why nobody is interested?

EDIT 2014/04/20: The project has finally started, here's the current team:
- Translation: Rakim, Switch
- Graphics Editing: BlueMue, IlDucci
- Hacking: YZB (When he can), IlDucci
- Main translation tools by the ShenTrad Team: Manic, ShenDream, Sizious
Last edited by IlDucci on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:43 am, edited 21 times in total.

IlDucci
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Why What's Shenmue never got a translation attempt?

Postby BlueMue » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:22 pm

I thought about doing it because it would really be a great thing to have. I actually started to work on this but since translation the text with Google is very limited I gave up very quick. It's not much work but you need someone who can properly translate all the Japanese text.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby IlDucci » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:27 pm

BlueMue wrote: I thought about doing it because it would really be a great thing to have. I actually started to work on this but since translation the text with Google is very limited I gave up very quick. It's not much work but you need someone who can properly translate all the Japanese text.

About the japanese text, I'd really want to know if Kogami used some mass converter or just some Notepad++.

EDIT: Updated the amount of Japanese texts, now it's precise down to the last byte.
EDIT 2: Found a simple and stupid way to mass-convert texts from EUC-JP to S-JIS or just something readable...

EDIT 3: Well, I've ended up editing most of the 1ST_READ.BIN using GT and some common sense. If there's any Japanese-English translator around here, could use some help.
IlDucci

Postby Rakim » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:59 pm

This should've been done forever ago. I'd be glad to help translate.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby kogami » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Full script japaness What's Shenmue (J)
http://kogami.free.fr/Photo/Shenmue/Scr ... henmue.zip
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby IlDucci » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:41 pm

OK, I've already translated the EXE (But I'd need a romhacker to polish up some parts). So I'm officially starting this attempt at What's Shenmue.

Rakim, can I count with you for the translation areas?

Kogami, if you have some sort of automated tool, try to export the HUMANS lines rather than the FREE ones. That'll make easier for the translator (The lines have a better order).

I'm also leaving here the Notebook's notes. BEWARE: There's probably strings from the main game (The 1ST_READ is full of the japanese help lines, even stuff that's not used in the demo such as the infiltration help), discard those.

http://pastebin.com/CFLjjhmm

EDIT: Demo lines start at line #219.
Last edited by IlDucci on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IlDucci

Re: What's Shenmue translation project

Postby BlueMue » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:24 pm

If I can help somehow, please let me know. I could redo the menu graphics for example.
I really want to make something for this project, seeing how I already intended to do a translation myself. :D
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby IlDucci » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:36 pm

BlueMue wrote: If I can help somehow, please let me know. I could redo the menu graphics for example.
I really want to make something for this project, seeing how I already intended to do a translation myself. :D

I can handle the graphics as well (And I have some japanese fonts to keep the look), but can you clean up the main screen, the one with the big "What's Shenmue"? The lower half, with the kanjis.

EDIT: Uploading the image for simplyfing things.

IlDucci

Postby BlueMue » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:00 pm

Sorry for not responding earlier, had to work and do other stuff. Here's a first attempt at the title screen.
I can give you the repacked SPR file when it's okay.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: shengoro86
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby IlDucci » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:25 pm

Awe-fricking-some!

Yesterday I've finished a draft for the main menu (Just prepping the .PSDs and setting up the fonts, no translation involved like in your case).

I think we should stay in contact via email, SD's notification issue is still active. Great job.
IlDucci

Postby brad86 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Yes! :)

Have always wanted a translation of What's Shenmue. So glad it's being worked on. Good luck on the project to those involved. Can't wait!
brad86
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: What's Shenmue translation project (Looking for translat

Postby IlDucci » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:15 am

Status update:

We're still looking for sail... I mean, translators, but no luck so far. We've made progress in other areas:
- I've contacted YZB for hacking the executable. So far he just got started.
- We've got the main menu prepared for translation: All the graphics have been replaced with English temp texts.
- And last but not least... I managed to hack this little thing:

IlDucci

Postby Treamcaster » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:40 am

I'm so glad that someone is looking into translating this demo :D I always wanted this to happen.
Treamcaster
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Switch » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:11 am

This sounds great! I'd be happy to help out with the translating.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby IlDucci » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 am

Switch wrote: This sounds great! I'd be happy to help out with the translating.

Just when I was going to announce that we've started translating things... Well, if Rakim needs some backup, I'd be more than happy to add you to the project.

Just to start a status update: Rakim has started doing the Notebook. It's small but it contained some interesting information for the testing.

EDIT: Rakim says the more the merrier, so... You're in.
IlDucci

Next

Return to Community Projects