New Shenmue Android App "Shenmue Apps"

(Modding and other series related projects)

New Shenmue Android App "Shenmue Apps"

Postby Razivoid » Tue May 06, 2014 2:03 pm

*Shenmue Apps*

Version 0.1.3: Current in Google Play
- Updated for Shenmue III
- App API and code migrated/updated to Gradle
- Maintained old Android compatibility
- Updated default clock-face graphics
- Clickable widget now opens Alarms

Version 0.1.2: Superseded
- Improved battery usage when using the Live Wallpaper
(limited the maximum framerate to 23fps)

Version 0.1.1: Superseded
- Added 3D Live Wallpaper
- Fixed random crashes
- Fixed widget resize crash
- Improved Menus & optimised code
- Reduced default transparency on watch
- Widget is now clickable

Version 0.1.0: Superseded

*Shenmue Mobile*
Version 0.1.0a: In Development (TBC)

---Original post---
Hi all,
This is my first post however I probably registered years ago (account deleted?). I go by the names: Razivoid and Raziel. It's not the place for introductions so I'll get to the point!

I have released an Android app in the Google Play store to which I'm anticipating feedback and seeing how much interest there is for Shenmue goodies (we all like new content right?). This app currently contains Ryo's watch face as a home screen widget. This is my first attempt at programming in this environment. I know it's not yet very pretty but I'm going to improve the graphics soon! This was all done in less than a day.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rmax.shenmueapps

The aim is to release some content that will please mobile user fans!

In other news I have a very ambitious project underway which is going to test all of my skills. I don't know if I want to give it all away but the question is - are there any fans that will appreciate the hard work?

"Shenmue Apps" will eventually be replaced for "Shenmue Mobile". This will have a number of 3D environments such that the user can navigate around and interact with assets. These "assets" are also mini-games. I am using Unity for this project. I am currently working on the toy-capsule feature.

The player gets ¥ on a daily basis. This can be used on toy-capsule machines and there will be an inventory for collection etc. I have already started resourcing/modeling the capsule toys for mobile testing though I have moved on to the core programming. I have a working interactive mobile 3D interface which is compatible with all platforms (I.E. PC, Android and iOS). Other mini-games I aim to build is touch-screen QTE and darts. Maybe the kitten's welfare could be another feature? I have tons of ideas but I have to be realistic at this stage. I may even need help as the programming is starting to get very complicated. The goal is to maintain the Shenmue aesthetics hence why I am sourcing the original game's resources (and redesigning alt HD versions).

All of a sudden it's starting to turn into a game! This project cannot and will not be marketable due to copyright etc.

I anticipate positive feedback! :)
~Razivoid.
\\Shenmue\\It_continues...
Last edited by Razivoid on Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Razivoid has received 5 thanks from: Axm, Giorgio, shengoro86, ShenSun, south carmain
Razivoid
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: Razivoid
Steam: Razivoid
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: New Shenmue Android App "Shenmue Apps"

Postby ShenSun » Tue May 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Sounds very promising. I'd love to see a "Shenmue Mobile" application on my phone. Shenmue minigames and environments would occupy every fan on a daily basis.

Best of luck.

ShenSun has received a thanks from: Razivoid
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Tue May 06, 2014 2:45 pm

I tried it out and it's really not bad for a first testrun. Works well and looks like it does in the game.
That is however the limiting factor as the graphic is very low resolution. Even on the smallest setting it's pretty rough around the edges wich is to be expected as I have a FullHD screen.

If you wan't to seriously improve the look you should consider recreating the entire watch in a much higher resolution.
That's of course a lot of extra work but only then it will look smooth on the current high-res displays.
It would also be nice if you could add an option to change how transparent the icon is.

It would be really cool if you could make the outer ring work as a compass just like in the game though that would of course mean that it needs GPS and if you redraw the graphics it would get a lot more complicated aswell.

Anyways, keep up the good work!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Wed May 07, 2014 12:36 am

good luck

south carmain has received a thanks from: Razivoid
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Upper Dave » Wed May 07, 2014 10:50 am

I like the idea of the Shenmue Mobile thing with the mini games and toy capsules. I'd play that every day, for sure. I wish I had time to help, but I'm swamped right now. Best of luck!

Upper Dave has received a thanks from: Razivoid
Upper Dave
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Darth Moncalf
Steam: Mooncalfian
Currently playing: DA: Inquisition

Postby Razivoid » Thu May 08, 2014 2:09 pm

I appreciate all of your encouragement and feedback guys, cheers!

BlueMue wrote:...the limiting factor as the graphic is very low resolution. Even on the smallest setting it's pretty rough around the edges wich is to be expected as I have a FullHD screen.

If you wan't to seriously improve the look you should consider recreating the entire watch in a much higher resolution.
That's of course a lot of extra work but only then it will look smooth on the current high-res displays.
It would also be nice if you could add an option to change how transparent the icon is.

It would be really cool if you could make the outer ring work as a compass just like in the game though that would of course mean that it needs GPS and if you redraw the graphics it would get a lot more complicated aswell.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

Thanks BlueMue. I have started redesigning the original face graphics at a stupidly-large resolution. The current release has been helpful to see how android handles the image resize within the widget. I am going to update the code so that the images are swapped to help with the image resampling.

Rather than replace the current design I'm going to add options so people can choose the style of the graphics with the following options: Shenmue Original (as is), Shenmue 2 Original, Shenmue HD, Shenmue 2 HD and maybe some extras with Sonic's face on the hands for example? There is not much difference between Shen 1 & 2's watches other than the screen position, opacity and Shen2 has "am" or "pm" shown next to the face. I'll add a slider for the transparency for any face.

Good shout! The compass can work by gyro with the GPS as optional. There then would be the issue of excessive battery consumption so to prevent this: it will be activated by command such as tapping the watch face to activate then auto-deactivating after x period.

Single tap will open the system's clock/alarm screen.
Finger-hold (or double-tap?) will activate the compass.
I'll also add the sound of Ryo's watch alarm to use as your own <Eargasms!

~Razivoid
Razivoid

Postby Razivoid » Thu May 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Razivoid wrote: ...There then would be the issue of excessive battery consumption so to prevent this...

Note that I won't release any unstable apps to the market. I always test/analyse every build for a day or two so you can have faith that any version should not drain your battery. I also have a volunteered tester!

~Razivoid
Razivoid

Postby Axm » Thu May 08, 2014 9:18 pm

I look forward to more releases. If you put the work in, id appriciate a polished product.

Axm has received a thanks from: Razivoid
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Return to Community Projects