please help, im so heartbroken that this isn't working

(Modding and other series related projects)

please help, im so heartbroken that this isn't working

Postby xbluemystx » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:47 pm

I wanted to make myself a set of the Shenmue II full english speech mod discs. The 99 min blanks just came in the mail from China today and it's not working. At first I noticed that both of my computers don't recognize the proper size of the discs which I'm guessing is normal. I've burned with the proper settings on both computers (one is new and very nice) with both DiscJug and A120. My model 1 Dreamcast makes an incredibly loud and repeating clicking noise when it tries to read the disc - my model 0 just sits there and does nothing on the spiral screen.

This was my late bday gift to myself. Shenmue is my passion and I was really looking forward to this, I don't know what to do. Someone please help me?
xbluemystx
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: please help, im so heartbroken that this isn't working

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:09 am

Did you ever burn dreamcast games before? Dreamcast can be very picky about burned discs. Especially since the consoles are getting quite old (around 15 years) the allignment of the drive optics ain't the best.

I also had some issues with a dreamcast i bought for fun in Tokyo. After a few failed attempts i came out with some working ones by burning them with the SLOWEST speed available, ended up burning them 4x speed instead of 16x and then they worked. I suggest you try some random game on NORMAL blanks and see if you have a burner/speed combination that works before wasting your 99min discs.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:19 pm

Are they 99min Banana discs? Cause if so I've heard they don't work on the Dreamcast anymore and I don't think you can find any other 99min discs around. Your best bet is to get a 80min disc and burn the 80min version. There is hardly a difference, only thing different is that the sound quality for the free speech voices is a little bit lower but nothing major really.
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby xbluemystx » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Yes, I have loads of burned games.

GrimMeNaCe wrote: Are they 99min Banana discs? Cause if so I've heard they don't work on the Dreamcast anymore and I don't think you can find any other 99min discs around. Your best bet is to get a 80min disc and burn the 80min version. There is hardly a difference, only thing different is that the sound quality for the free speech voices is a little bit lower but nothing major really.

Yeah, I found out that they are defective. But... I ordered a different brand... and it's still not working...
xbluemystx

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:44 am

I went to the trouble of buying 99min discs (banana) you couldnt even use them for music.. pure garbage...

Sorry you had to go through the same kind of experience I was also looking forward to the English speaking dreamcast experience..
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

Postby IlDucci » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:30 pm

xbluemystx wrote:Yeah, I found out that they are defective. But... I ordered a different brand... and it's still not working...

What's brand is the new one you ordered?
IlDucci
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby xbluemystx » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Media range. Someone told me that 100 min discs are even worse. I'm not sure what to do. I'm trying to buy a copy from someone - one guy offered which made my heart race then disappeared.
xbluemystx

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:39 am

BUMP.
I use Sony brand, which seem to work well with the Dreamcast.

99 min buirn sessions can be messy depending on your drive.

Also, I am currently working on tweaking Sm1ths release to make the 99min version work on a 80 min disc.

This worked for me:
Sony Brand 99 min Discs. CD-R not RW, unless you tweaked your GDRom intensity screw (I do NOT recommend that).
Shenmue 2 99 min release (Sm1th I believe)
Alcohol 120% on Windows 7 Pro running as administrator.
Burn as Raw DAO
Make sure to enable bufferunderrun technology checkbox.

I think I offered you the game and I completely forgot as I am very very busy outside of the shenmue world.

pm me if u still need help.

/james
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Return to Community Projects