Interview w/ NoconKid: creator of fanmade Shenmue HD project

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Interview w/ NoconKid: creator of fanmade Shenmue HD pro

Postby ys » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:46 pm

Fenix wrote: Nocon is probably the fan that has made the most important work for Shenmue fan's community.

It's amazing but I don't know if it can be singled out as the most important.
There are many who have done a lot through the years which can be seen in this subforum.
We also have the different owners, Ziming's work with the Youtube channel, people who worked on the site through the years. Or LanDC and some others who (10 years ago) got access to unused things on the GD-Roms. Then there's also the Shenmue campaigns, etc. Even just posting here at least keeps the community going in a way ;)
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:35 pm

:shock:

This guy is a wizard. Hope he carries it out. We've seen so many Shenmue game projects abandoned over the years and this is the most impressive yet.

EDIT: Why is he using the SEGA logo in the intro? By doing that, that may make them want to discontinue his work even more (via copyright infringement) if he's pretending that it's them making it? :-k
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ys » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:41 pm

You're right about the logo. It's a nice touch for a trailer but it also makes it look more like an official product. This could make them intervene. And as he said in the interview, the risk becomes greater if things would become playable.
I wonder how far he/they will make it. Besides legal threats, projects like these often fizzle out due to real life obligations/lack of motivation. Plus the fact that this game was made by hundreds of people. It's certainly not an easy task, especially at this level of detail. Hopefully things keep on progressing.
Last edited by ys on Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ReeceKun » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:46 pm

:p
Last edited by ReeceKun on Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ReeceKun has received a thanks from: ys
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:06 pm

Well, SEGA are still making Shining games (in terms of what RPGs SEGA make nowadays)...we just don't get them, unfortunately.

I do wonder if he will present the tech demo to them (as in, SEGA) or not. They did supposedly hire the guy who created that cool looking Sonic fan game years back.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Fenix » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:10 pm

ReeceKun wrote:
Fenix wrote: Nocon is probably the fan that has made the most important work for Shenmue fan's community.

I'm pretty sure that honour goes to Yazgoo , Nocon ripped a few models and put them in another engine (I do wonder if he made his own extraction program , and if he modeled them himself he wasted a lot of his time

Oh yes. I'm with you too. Nocon, Yazgoo, LanDC... There's a lot of fans. But maybe Nocon's work is going to more public.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby ReeceKun » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:06 pm

:p
Last edited by ReeceKun on Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:02 pm

ReeceKun wrote: People are Really missing the bigger picture here, they just see a pretty recreation of Shenmue and swoon like teenage girls at a twilight movie. What Nocon has done is great and Im jealous I wasnt able to do it sooner. BUT:

Once the original models are released people can do anything with them (mods, animations, comics, pretty pictures etc) This can be passably conveyed as 'Fair Use'. This Use could generate renewed interest in the original games and possibly lead to something Offical.

Recreating a 'Shenmue Game' using SEGA AM2 and Yu Suzuki Logos is a BAD idea and will very likely result in legal action and negative animosity between fans and SEGA ... and when has SEGA ever made an RPG game ?? OR you can dream a fairytail dream where by SEGA uses Nocons work as a basis for a new HD Shenmue Remake ](*,)

The original textures and "some" of the models were already released years ago. The thing is that in 1999 with limited disc space and TV resolution it was totally fine to have a models which consisted of like 50 polygons and 64x64 res textures, but I don't see how releasing them will bring us a step forward. If you want some models you could have ripped them years ago like many of us did already. Also i fail to see how recreating Shenmue from scratch will yield more legal problems than releasing ripped stuff from Shenmue. The only thing Noconkid used that might be a problem is the Ryo model from all stars and the Shenmue logo. Besides these 2 i can't detect any copyright issues and for a fan game that is an incredibly low rate.

Honestly - i am cautious about dreams that SEGA will hire noconkid to make Shnmeu HD, but i guess if you look at the other fan games released so far it's at least the most realistic dream here...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:34 pm

I definitely believe that NoconKid should remove all SEGA and AM2 logos and I support anyone that is fluent in Japanese or Korean to try to convince him to do so. They're detrimental to the project. He says right now he is not worried about SEGA issuing a C&D but when it becomes closer to release he will be, the problem is that he is associating his work being officially affiliated with SEGA and companies do NOT like that and will quickly do everything in their power to put a stop to it.

That's is also the reason I believe should be absolutely no emulation of classic SEGA or Suzuki games. There should be either parodies or spin-offs inspired by these games but including the actual emulated rom in a fan-project is not smart in any way.

Same with Coca-Cola. Create your own brand.

I say that it's alright to include capsule toys from other SEGA games though...
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ReeceKun » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:59 am

phpBB [video]

Holy Crap !
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby AnonBaiter » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:42 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: I definitely believe that NoconKid should remove all SEGA and AM2 logos and I support anyone that is fluent in Japanese or Korean to try to convince him to do so. They're detrimental to the project. He says right now he is not worried about SEGA issuing a C&D but when it becomes closer to release he will be, the problem is that he is associating his work being officially affiliated with SEGA and companies do NOT like that and will quickly do everything in their power to put a stop to it.

That's is also the reason I believe should be absolutely no emulation of classic SEGA or Suzuki games. There should be either parodies or spin-offs inspired by these games but including the actual emulated rom in a fan-project is not smart in any way.

Same with Coca-Cola. Create your own brand.

I say that it's alright to include capsule toys from other SEGA games though...

That, and/or he's asking to be hired by SEGA in any way since he LOVES to put that copyrighted logo in his Shenmue HD videos.
Nintendo took action when it came to this.
AnonBaiter
Banned
Banned

XBL: RacuousLeech01
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby KiBa » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:59 pm

They should hire this man for Shenmue 3.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Previous

Return to Community Projects