Yuan's Revenge - Decensoring Shenmue II

(Modding and other series related projects)

Yuan's Revenge - Decensoring Shenmue II

Postby IlDucci » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:48 am

I've been thinking on this project for a long time, and I think now it's time to make it public.

During my Shenmue II Spanish Translation, I've encountered, what I think, all the changes based on censorship for the Overseas Edition of S2:
- Baby Jesus's image on the Virgin Mary in the Moon Child Convent.
- The cassette tape's change.
- All of Yuan's references, both in voice and when asking the people of Kowloon.
- Hassan's nationality being changed from arabic to chinese, with a full clothing replacement.
- (XBOX dub) Lack of a strong chinese accent from a fellow with a red chinese dress in the Wise Men Qr. This is more a dub issue rather than a censoring issue.

Well, I've been decensoring and rewriting things for the Spanish translation... But it would be a shame if it was exclusive for Spanish, right?

So I'll be announcing right now a side project of this translation called Yuan's Revenge. Right now, this is what I've already done:
- Restoring the Moon Child Convent image on Dreamcast. Doing it on XBOX is a mystery, depending on the progress of the MT5/MT7 model handlers and if the HM7 format is identical between consoles.
- Restoring the censored cassette tape and re-subbed the whole thing. It can be done on XBOX as well.
- Restoring Yuan's male japanese voices. I've made a small document on the subtitle changes for the NPCs, but maybe a Japanese translator could do a bit of a better job.
- Restoring Hassan's original clothing.
- While this is not a censorship issue, the Coca-Cola branded cans/machines are also restored.

This is what needs to be done yet:
- Find voice actors (I know some places) and redub Yuan, Hassan, the chinese guy, the censored cassette tape and other minor adjustments on XBOX.
- Edit all the existing voices to remove the "s" from the "she" parts in Yuan-based lines in the XBOX dub.
- Editing Hassan's clothing on XBOX.

The final result will be PacoChan's patcher, which means you'll need the original GDIs in Dreamcast and it will export CDI images, with a choice between undownsampled audios or downsampled for 80min/99min discs. Right now the XBOX version is on the preproduction stages but, considering there's no Default.xbe edit, I think it can export just the files, ready for FTP them into the HDD.

What do I need? Right now, people who can help testing and checking all these issues. A sound engineer/editor would be nice (I can do most of the removal stuff, but I'm busy with the translation, if nobody could help before I finish the Spanish translation, I'll be doing the editing myself).

Here's a small appetizer for all of you, courtesy of Brett "Switch" Chandler, Rock_Lee-Vk and myself:

phpBB [video]
Last edited by IlDucci on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

IlDucci
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yuan's Revenge - Decensoring Shenmue II

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:20 am

As I said on FB, Ill be more than happy to test both the DC and Xbox releases :)
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:14 am

Isn't Yuan transgender? Pretty sure she'd like to be referred to as She and not he.

Also, goodluck!

I always wanted Shenmue to redubed so that the Chinese characters actually spoke Chinese. It's more believable that Ryo could have studied some Chinese on his trip to Hong Kong than that everyone there knows Japanese. :lol:

Then Ryo could speak Japanese to other Japanese characters. Would make a ton of sense.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:27 am

I know about the recording with the cat but how exactly have they got rid of it in the PAL version?
Did they replace it with something else or was the tape shortend? Also what does the picture you mentioned look like?
I think I haven't seen that yet. I really haven't played the Japanese Shenmue II enough...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Ryuman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:08 pm

That's really cool, man. Major props for the work and I hope the project works out on all accounts!
Ryuman
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: KH 2.5

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:59 pm

I thought Yuan was a cross-dresser.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby IlDucci » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:25 pm

Let's see...
- The audio that was used to replace the cat's in the Overseas Editions was a news cast talking about the guy in Great View Herbs and some Arcades machines... But unlike Yuan's female redub, this was done in English.

- I think he was more of a transvestite, at least what I've heard when I talked to a Japanese->Spanish translator. Maybe someone else's can clear this thing up, but, at least when you ask other people about Yuan (When you're after IT, before the Nine Birds Shop part), they talk about "him" (Probably because he's not in front of them).
IlDucci

Postby R3N » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:03 am

So he wanted to stroke the Pussy :shock:
cat
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Chaikilla » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:08 am

Very cool. You learn something new about this series every day!
Chaikilla

Postby IlDucci » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:26 am

BlueMue wrote:Also what does the picture you mentioned look like?

Sorry, I think I used a different concept of "image". I meant "statue". I've updated the OP with a graphical comparison.

IlDucci has received 2 thanks from: BlueMue, Esppiral
IlDucci

Postby BlueMue » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:33 am

Wow I didn't know that they actually edited the shape of the statue. This change is just so unnecessary...

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Yama
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Flatlandaniel » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:56 am

I suggest you give Yuan a voice so deep it will make the ghost of Barry White blush.

BlueMue wrote: Wow I didn't know that they actually edited the shape of the statue. This change is just so unnecessary...

What the h? I didn't know this either. Strange.
Flatlandaniel

Postby IlDucci » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:03 am

Yuan's Revenge project is currently being re-studied because of all the Shenmue III mess.

I don't know if it's still safe to get some actors to re-play Yuan in English.

IlDucci has received a thanks from: masterchan777
IlDucci

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:51 am

By the way, there's one other change that was made - in the Japanese version, the baseball guy who plays darts wears a t-shirt that says 'DEATHBALL 666', which was changed in the European DC and Xbox version for obvious reasons (I forget what it says instead)

Miles Prower has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Yama » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Miles Prower wrote: By the way, there's one other change that was made - in the Japanese version, the baseball guy who plays darts wears a t-shirt that says 'DEATHBALL 666', which was changed in the European DC and Xbox version for obvious reasons (I forget what it says instead)

Can I have a pic of this?
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Next

Return to Community Projects