RELEASE: What's Shenmue Dobuita with No Clip Mode

(Modding and other series related projects)

RELEASE: What's Shenmue Dobuita with No Clip Mode

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:13 pm

NOTE: THIS IS NOW INCLUDED IN THE NEW EXPLORE MOD!
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=47464

Hi Everyone,

I am proud to release this next mod in my continuing adventure on opening Shenmue for anyone to explore.

I have converted the What's Shenmue Dobuita map to have no clipping or boundaries so that it can be explored without NPCs stopping you.

How it was done:
I spliced the What's Shenmue Dobuita map with the Beta Shenmue Dobuita map.
I removed the clipping from the map using Giorgio's technique and spliced some hex code from Beta Dobuita into it.
I then migrated the What's Shenmue textures and files into Shendream's Beta 0.4 Release.
I then encapsulated all of the textures locally into the map folder that should have been global textures. This was to reduce the difficulty of applying the patch.

How it works:
Download the map files provided.
Put them into any Beta disc in the following directory: SCENE/XX/D000 (For best results, use disc 3!)
Compile the disc with whatever you want (I prefer Bootmake and Binhack32)
Load the map from the debug menu without a VMU inserted.
Continue = OFF
SCENE = XX (Whatever Scene folder you had it in)
MAP = D000
ENTRY = 00

Who to thank:
Giorgio: I used his no clip mode technique
Wude: For teaching me a long time ago about how to swap maps
Shendream: For the beta release
Shengoro86: :mrgreen: For converting the texture files and hex reps to make this work in the Beta release.

What to know:
This is a spliced map. Its not 100% perfectly representing the Whats Shenmue map. Thats impossible with the way it is hacked.
I will actually be making a newer version of this mod that is going to run on Whats Shenmue itself so we have a more accurate map to look at.
You may encounter freezing. Trying to train your moves or buy capsule toys freezes the game.
I will be making a walk-through video shortly detailing the changes.

Enjoy!

Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!WVEgnYSL!H23f2JnnY ... dDtcGmQOiw

Screenshots:
MJQ Jazz Bar before the sign gets knocked over.

Another shot of MJQ Jazz Bar

Behind the barrier of Dobuita's back road.

Blocked off apartment complex outside Lapis Fortune Teller.

Nana's Karaoke Bar

Outside Knocking Motorcycle Shop right after Ono-san enters the door that doesnt even open. He just walks through the wall with the door open animation lol.

Advertisements for the Tattoo Parlor right outside Heartbeats Bar. I do not think this is in the retail version.

Behind the stairs next to the park.

Roadway to Sakuragaoka outside Liu Barber and Hair Salon. It lacks the elevated road and is just flat and straight.

These fucking bitches :) The Hair Salon is invisible :mrgreen:

The invisible Liu Barber and Hair Salon.

Russiya China Shop. It has a cart next to it with dishes that is not in the retail version.

Russiya China Shop again. It also has advertisements next to its door that is not seen in the final game.

Behind the barrier going towards Sakuragaoka and Lapus Fortune Teller.

Last edited by shengoro86 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: RELEASE: What's Shenmue Dobuita with No Clip Mode

Postby Shenmue Stare » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:38 pm

Awesome stuff, James!
Shenmue Stare
Shenmue 500K Staff
Shenmue 500K Staff

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: With myself

Postby BlueMue » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:45 pm

Awesome!

I really wanted to get around those NPC barriers in What's Shenmue and explore the back street.
I tried to hack it myself a while ago but the game always found a way to block me. It's ridiculous how sure the developers made you do not pass those boundaries where the NPCs are standing. Even with clipping turned off and walking around them and staying far away from them, they'll get you. The game must check Ryo's coordinates.

I'm going to try this out very soon. But I can already say right now: Thanks, thanks, thanks and thanks again for this!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:17 pm

Amazing work as always. Them damn...............except Izumi :)
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Jack Burton wrote:Awesome stuff, James!

Thanks!

BlueMue wrote:Awesome!

I really wanted to get around those NPC barriers in What's Shenmue and explore the back street.
I tried to hack it myself a while ago but the game always found a way to block me. It's ridiculous how sure the developers made you do not pass those boundaries where the NPCs are standing. Even with clipping turned off and walking around them and staying far away from them, they'll get you. The game must check Ryo's coordinates.

Ah Yes! This is the fundamental reason why I had to migrate the map to the beta. The clipping and the intro sequence with Tom specifically. I was able to bypass the clipping with some changes in mapinfo. Specifically, take the mapinfo for beta dobuita and removing all of the POST ECAM hex code. Then copy and paste all of the post ECAM hex from TIKN in WS and paste it into the beta dobuita mapinfo. Then delete all code from COLS to REGD, not including REGD. That will eliminate the portion of the hex from seeing Ryo hitting those spots. I still dont know what is controlling it specifically but its in that block.

BlueMue wrote:I'm going to try this out very soon. But I can already say right now: Thanks, thanks, thanks and thanks again for this!

No problem. And thank you for your awesome mod videos! I have a few of my own coming soon too.

ShenSun wrote:Amazing work as always. Them damn...............except Izumi :)

Oh Izumi... :-#
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:41 pm

Did anyone try it?

It is going to be included in my next exploration mod.

Shenmue Exploration Mod 2.0
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby BlueMue » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:06 am

I tried this out just now, works great! I just named the folder D001 so I can still have the regular Dobuita on the disc.

The vending machine next to the Tomato Mart is funny. Seems they changed its position slightly from What's Shenmue so now we have a big "Coca Cl Wood's / Cokeola" machine. :lol:

I also found this lone door in the oddest place. If you walk trough the stairs behind the arcade you'll spot it right away a couple of steps further ahead. It belongs to the Asia Travel Co. and Ryo can't interact with it.
I wonder what it's doing there.

BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:26 am

BlueMue wrote: I tried this out just now, works great! I just named the folder D001 so I can still have the regular Dobuita on the disc.

Thanks! Yeah I do the same lol. In my next explore mod, itll be D002 since for me D001 is Wish Road :)

BlueMue wrote:The vending machine next to the Tomato Mart is funny. Seems they changed its position slightly from What's Shenmue so now we have a big "Coca Cl Wood's / Cokeola" machine. :lol:

LOL Yeah, thats a glitch from how I hacked it, ill fix that for the explore mod release. It can be fixed just by removing the global texture.

BlueMue wrote:I also found this lone door in the oddest place. If you walk trough the stairs behind the arcade you'll spot it right away a couple of steps further ahead. It belongs to the Asia Travel Co. and Ryo can't interact with it.
I wonder what it's doing there.

Yeah that is odd. Im not sure myself as to why it is there. Could just be overseen by AM2 at the time or its there to be loaded into memory to be used as an asset.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Update: this is now included in the new Exploration Mod 1.2. Link in main post.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Return to Community Projects