NO LONGER CANCELLED: Shenmue500K Mod

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: CANCELLED: Shenmue500K Mod

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:18 pm

I had no idea this was a thing.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Axm » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Hope you do finish it sometime.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Re: Shenmue500K Mod

Postby nagates » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Master Kyodai wrote: Interesting idea. If it is possible to replace textures then that would be great to make some high res videos, i mean some textures are ultra low res, replacing them with professional high res textures would prolly make the game look so much better. I take it the video tutorial for replacing textures is not online yet?

I've often wondered this too, could the Shenmue textures be replaced with higher res textures? I want to say no for sure playing on the actual hardware, but could nulldc hand this? I still think no, because the game engine wouldn't know how to load them, that or the hardware emulation would be too accurate it would suffer from performance issues? perhaps someone else can give some input on this, I would love to know.
nagates
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: CoolerFX
Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:33 am

nagates wrote:
Master Kyodai wrote: Interesting idea. If it is possible to replace textures then that would be great to make some high res videos, i mean some textures are ultra low res, replacing them with professional high res textures would prolly make the game look so much better. I take it the video tutorial for replacing textures is not online yet?

I've often wondered this too, could the Shenmue textures be replaced with higher res textures? I want to say no for sure playing on the actual hardware, but could nulldc hand this? I still think no, because the game engine wouldn't know how to load them, that or the hardware emulation would be too accurate it would suffer from performance issues? perhaps someone else can give some input on this, I would love to know.

Well the engine can handle high res textures since some are actually high res. On a real Dreamcast it depends. If you swap one or two textures for high res versions then no problem, but if you do it for all textures then it would prolly lag or even run out of memory. In nullDC this should be less of a problem.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby NeoShredder » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:48 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:
nagates wrote:

Well the engine can handle high res textures since some are actually high res. On a real Dreamcast it depends. If you swap one or two textures for high res versions then no problem, but if you do it for all textures then it would prolly lag or even run out of memory. In nullDC this should be less of a problem.

Quite a bump here, but i've been wanting to try this since I saw these posts!

NullDC can support higher-resolution textures, with TxtMod anyway. I think it can go any size/resolution really, but at the end of the day it has to obey the model/game engine rendering method itself to actually look good.

But, that aside, the engine can support high res...

Here are some notes I made as I went along:

But it would be a very time-consuming process to keep the art and the style (the starbucks "mod" is obviously crap) not to mention there's hundreds of textures in a given 'scene'.
Last edited by NeoShredder on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeoShredder has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Currently, I was only doing same resolution sized stuff. This was to make it compatible with DC hardware. I would go into High Res textures but I dont have the time to make them sadly.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: NO LONGER CANCELLED: Shenmue500K Mod

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:03 pm

update:

IM BACK IN ACTION.

The mod continues.

shengoro86 has received 4 thanks from: Jibby, Mr357, NeoShredder, Snoopbob2006
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Locke_cole » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Godspeed and feel free to put my face all over Toms hotdog truck
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby NeoShredder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:09 pm

Great to see the mod picking up again! I think it's just right considering where the community is with Shenmue III :)

shengoro86 wrote: Currently, I was only doing same resolution sized stuff. This was to make it compatible with DC hardware. I would go into High Res textures but I dont have the time to make them sadly.

Yes that makes sense. Sorry I bumped your topic, I was responding to discussion above about seeing if high-res textures were simply possible at all with the Shenmue game engine. Perhaps I should have made a new topic. Although I found talk about texmod and Shenmue here on the forums (I think it was MiTT3Ns) but I hadn't seen any pics/videos done with it and wanted to try it myself and contribute. Strictly speaking txtmod, without knowing the exact ins and outs of engine rendering, 'supervises' the directx output I think, and replaces textures at the given defined offset? Method I tried could never run on Dreamcast, because it requires running NullDC (only works with 100b, not 1.04 unfortunately) through the texmod program on PC. New textures are 'packaged' as a distributable '.tpf' file, which can be run through the program. The Guild Wars community do their mods like this. Together it becomes like a 'patch' really. But, ergo, it wouldn't be a complete game package/ISO to just download/burn to disk, and not compatible with DC anyway, as a software method let alone hardward limitations. If this was all common knowledge already then I apologize for n00bishness.

Before texmod, I did try the various ShenTrad tools and other derivatives and the PKF ripping/MT5 modifying and follow that video tutorial but I simply couldn't get some of the programs to work, for one reason or another and couldn't find a way to fix them (crashing or not responding and the like, probably just my PC). Since I couldn't try this method myself, I found txtmod with NullDC and wanted to contribute to this disscussion, to see if high-res would run and if so, how it would look and operate in the game, hopefully as a prelude to direct texture replacement compatible with the DC. Hardware issues aside, can you actually replace the texture files directly with larger file sizes in the game files using the PKF tools and conversion? Or do they have to be a certain size?
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:18 pm

Can't wait for you to mod Shenmue III!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:29 am

Himuro wrote: Can't wait for you to mod Shenmue III!

Thanks! I have some big plans :) But I wont know if they are possible until I tear apart the game when it comes out.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:20 am

Video Update:
Alphaomegasin QTE Title.
phpBB [video]