Demul v0.7 alpha released. (Dreamcast Emulator)

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Demul v0.7 alpha released. (Dreamcast Emulator)

Postby R3N » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:06 pm

Jibby wrote: If anyone is having problems with lag and stuttering making Shenmue I and II unplayable, I managed to completely fix it using these config settings:

Unchecking "Blitter Limit Pix/Sec" was the thing that made a huge difference. The game seems to run ok at higher settings for "Internal Resolution" and "Max Layers" but keeping them low eliminates about 95% of stutters and doesn't seem to have much impact on graphics quality.

Edit: After a bit of tweaking, setting "Internal Resolution" to 2x is probably a good idea as it doesn't seem to affect performance much plus makes the game a little clearer.

Can anyone else confirm that about Blitter Limit Pix/Sec?
I have no idea what Blitter Limit Pix/Sec and doing google search was not helpful.
Does this makes a difference in certain scene that I can check myself?
I am trying to find the best performance settings available.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:58 pm

R3N wrote:Can anyone else confirm that about Blitter Limit Pix/Sec?
I have no idea what Blitter Limit Pix/Sec and doing google search was not helpful.

I have no idea what it does but the difference is like night and day for me. However these things can be hardware dependent and what works well on my PC might not work so well on yours. Try it and see if it does anything for you. Spending an hour or so tweaking settings to find the best config for your machine is really worth it. It's all trial and error in the end.

Jibby has received a thanks from: R3N
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Motooni » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Works great, I lowered the layers from 32 to 16 and it removed minor freezing in the opening. I assume lowering this value has some disadvantage though?

I've been using V-Sync since the last ver. (it smoothed out the game), but I use Nvidia's adaptive V-Sync as the emulator's V-Sync warped the audio for me.
Motooni
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby R3N » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:21 am

Motooni wrote: Works great, I lowered the layers from 32 to 16 and it removed minor freezing in the opening. I assume lowering this value has some disadvantage though?

I've been using V-Sync since the last ver. (it smoothed out the game), but I use Nvidia's adaptive V-Sync as the emulator's V-Sync warped the audio for me.

From my tests 16 layers is all you need for Shenmue.

64 layers no difference at all except gives you lag if you raise internal resolution over x2 and it may crash your emulator.

I see notice no difference at all between 32 layers and 16 layers.Except as above explanation.

8 layers does makes a negative difference. I only saw it while practicing moves. If layers at 8 you will see Ryo white shirt through Ryo Jacket. Changing it to 16 layers and that does not happens.

I have not played the whole game to see if there any difference between 32 and 16 layers. But from my test I saw no differences.

Also Having 2x FXAA makes no difference at all. Just 1x FXAA is enough.
Its better to set x FXAA and another filter like Cartoon.
Cartoon makes the game more bright and makes plants more colorful and better looking.
But makes Ryo face looks a little weird.

R3N has received a thanks from: Motooni
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby R3N » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:29 am

Jibby wrote:

I have no idea what it does but the difference is like night and day for me. However these things can be hardware dependent and what works well on my PC might not work so well on yours. Try it and see if it does anything for you. Spending an hour or so tweaking settings to find the best config for your machine is really worth it. It's all trial and error in the end.

Blitter Limit Pix/Sec
From my google search that was created for a game called Cave shmups. It was made for bullet hell type games.

I need to find way to test it because I saw no difference. I guess like you said it depends on hardware.
I do hope this does makes a difference because the only drawback of demul is the sound.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:42 am

R3N wrote:
Jibby wrote:

Blitter Limit Pix/Sec
From my google search that was created for a game called Cave shmups. It was made for bullet hell type games.

I need to find way to test it because I saw no difference. I guess like you said it depends on hardware.
I do hope this does makes a difference because the only drawback of demul is the sound.

Hmm, now that you mention it, it might not have been the Blitter limit that made the difference but the number of layers. I'll confirm when I get the chance.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:57 am

The amount of layers impacts performance quite a lot. Be aware though that some transparencies like smoke or dust will look glitchy if you set it too low. I think the smoke from the pots outside Man Mo Temple only look 100% right with 32 layers.

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: Motooni, R3N, ShinChuck
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Motooni » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:22 pm

R3N wrote: From my tests 16 layers is all you need for Shenmue.

BlueMue wrote:The amount of layers impacts performance quite a lot. Be aware though that some transparencies like smoke or dust will look glitchy if you set it too low. I think the smoke from the pots outside Man Mo Temple only look 100% right with 32 layers.

Yep I can confirm the smoke pots showed some glitching at 16 layers. But for me it's now so close to perfect emulation. The fixed audio is like a godsend. I've moved my play through over to this version, and am having a blast.

Motooni has received a thanks from: R3N
Motooni
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby R3N » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:40 pm

BlueMue wrote: The amount of layers impacts performance quite a lot. Be aware though that some transparencies like smoke or dust will look glitchy if you set it too low. I think the smoke from the pots outside Man Mo Temple only look 100% right with 32 layers.

Can you run the game in x6 resolution? I am wondering if you need atleast 5 to 6 GB of Vram to achieve this. Also at what max level you can reach with x6 internal resolution.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:44 pm

Yeah I can run it in 6x resolution. Made some screenshots once, pretty awesome 3840x2880. It even runs somewhat good, though reaching full speed is getting rare with that setting. I have 4GB VRAM on my GTX 970.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby R3N » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:52 pm

BlueMue wrote: Yeah I can run it in 6x resolution. Made some screenshots once, pretty awesome 3840x2880. It even runs somewhat good, though reaching full speed is getting rare with that setting. I have 4GB VRAM on my GTX 970.

I see how many layers you can run in x6 with the video card you have. Can you run it at 32 max layers or do you have to drop the max layers to 16 or 8?

Also can you run at max speed with x5 internal resolution ? and if so at what max layers.

What is the best internal resolution your card can have with atleast 32 max layers?
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Chowchilla » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:49 pm

I have the same card and a 3570k clocked at 4.2ghz. I use 3x scaling with 32 layers. If I go higher than 3x I get Slowdown's. Also found out that you set Slowdown's the first time you run the emulator. Think it's to do with the cache folder setting up.

Chowchilla has received a thanks from: R3N
Chowchilla
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:00 pm

At 6x resolution 16 layers is the max. The emulator keeps running at 32 and even 64 but the graphics get messy with a lot of the screen being black. I guess it's running out of VRAM or something, even though it seems to only draw about 900MB.

At 5x resolution and 16 layers Shenmue II runs pretty much full speed all the time, except when there is some kind of smoke on screen.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: R3N
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby R3N » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:24 am

Max layers 16 causes this graphical glitch in double blow scene.

This glitch does not appear when I set the max layers to 32.

From what I have seen max layers 64 makes no noticeable difference but now I have proof that 16 layers can cause graphical glitches.
Not only that bluemue and Motooni confirmed that
"the smoke from the pots outside Man Mo Temple only look 100% right with 32 layers"

Also Filter FXAA just cause changes to the trees and makes the window letters in aida flower shop to look blurry not good.
x2 FXAA makes no difference at all turning FXAA twice causes no changes at all.

Also Turning cartoon then FXAA is the same as turning cartoon alone. Cartoon goes over FXAA.

Cartoon in my opinion is better than FXAA it makes the game more bright and colorful.
x2Cartoon can make the game even brighter and colorful but it makes characters and Ryo face to look weird. Also signs look weird too.
Last edited by R3N on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Radar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:28 am

R3N wrote: Max layers 16 causes this graphical glitch in double blow scene.

Have you cleaned your "scache" folder?

Radar has received a thanks from: R3N
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects