[MOD REQUEST] Spar with Lan Di?

(Modding and other series related projects)

[MOD REQUEST] Spar with Lan Di?

Postby NeoShredder » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 pm

Is mod requesting a thing that is even allowed? I do really appreciate the enormous amount of effort and time that goes into hacking Shenmue, a very complicated endeavor. I don't want to come across as rude or ungrateful somehow. Indeed if I had non-tempremental tech, I'd try this myself with my own time and patience.

Anywho, my idea: I'm going off the work I've seen more or less seen dotted around Youtube and the like, thinking it might be a possibility. My idea is to re-create the bad ending of Shenmue I by swapping Fuku-san's model with Lan Di's in the Hazuki Dojo and make the sparring become a 'fight scene', with actual gameplay to boot! As a 'stretch goal' (:P) i'd swap the dialouge appropriately to make it more dramatically fitting to an otherwise undramatic scene.

Well that's about it. I'm not sure i'll even get a response for this but it's a thing i'd really like to see.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: [MOD REQUEST] Spar with Lan Di?

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:09 pm

The knowledge to swap character models is already available. The same for swapping fighting styles. However, Lan Di hasn't a Free Battle fighting style data. Furthermore, as for incorporating a Free Battle along the "bad ending" sequence of events, I wouldn't say it's impossible but, considering Shenmue's data code complexity, it will be very difficult and thus heavily time consuming.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby NeoShredder » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Giorgio wrote: The knowledge to swap character models is already available. The same for swapping fighting styles. However, Lan Di hasn't a Free Battle fighting style data.

So, can you just swap the model and keep the same fighting style regardless? Y'know, literally just for 'looks' sake? Does that work? This would be the main barrier here really.

And Lan Di would be a complete n00b :P

Furthermore, as for incorporating a Free Battle along the "bad ending" sequence of events, I wouldn't say it's impossible but, considering Shenmue's data code complexity, it will be very difficult and thus heavily time consuming.

That's not quite what I meant. I didn't expect hacking of in-game scenarios or sandwiching the actual bad ending cutscene in there, that would be impossible. It would play just as normal like you were going to spar with Fuku-san but it was Lan Di there instead. Then on the actual free battle, with the odd quip here and there just like in-game. Then mod the dialog with the speech from the bad ending.

[/quote]

In the first instance I would always try this myself, but as I alluded to in the OP I seem to have technical difficulties with most of the "Shentrad" tools, literally crashing out and the like (even NullDC itself most of the time!). The extent to what I enjoy doing, or rather can do, is texture editing with TexMod. Looking over your link, Hex Editing shouldn't be that much of a barrier 2bf, but its the bespoke programs for the audio and subtitle editing that may present a barrier for me.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:18 pm

I seem to remember that previous attempts at model-swapping Lan Di into the "playable" segments caused the game to crash. However this is goin back a while and may not be an issue with nullDC, Demul, etc.

There is a mod that swaps Baihu for Lan Di in Shenmue II. Not sure if it's available for the DC version, but you can defo get it for the Xbox one. And by that I mean the Xbox version. Not the Xbox One.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: NeoShredder, Snoopbob2006
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Giorgio » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:47 am

NeoShredder wrote:[...] It would play just as normal like you were going to spar with Fuku-san but it was Lan Di there instead. Then on the actual free battle, with the odd quip here and there just like in-game. Then mod the dialog with the speech from the bad ending.

That's perfectly doable. You can assign to |Fuku-san <-> Lan Di| any of the available fighting styles. Let me see if I understood: you want to replace the voice files and their associated subtitles, the ones like "Don't holding back, okay?" "Don't use that move!" spoken by Fuku-san, with the ones of Lan Di in the bad ending like "I heard there is another mirror." "Give it to me, now". Right? I can tell in advance that it can happen.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:40 am

phpBB [video]
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86