Japanese Version Shenmue gets Shrine Visitors

(Modding and other series related projects)

Japanese Version Shenmue gets Shrine Visitors

Postby ReeceKun » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:01 pm

phpBB [video]

Description taken from the video
Not a big glitch, but I got stuck by a girl that stay in the little shrine stairs. The girl frozed there and I couldn't talk with her. I got free before open some menus, but, by mistake, I stepped the stairs again, passing through her and I got stuck for good.

I've been looking for ideas on how to freeze NPC animation so I can take decent 3d ripper rips of them and this looks quite promising. In this Video Ryo messes up the Girls pathway animation which causes her to freeze. Combining this with NPC swapping (and possibly collision removal) means I could just swap her for anyone. My only problem is Ive NEVER seen anyone at the shrine stood here, so my question is .. have you seen her.. or anyone else at the top of the shrine? and if so when?
Last edited by ReeceKun on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Re: When does this girl appear at the shenmue 1 shrine ?

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:04 pm

In all of my reversing of the physics system, I have never ran into this girl.

A long time ago, however, i recorded a glitch via VHS (LOL) or my jamming a girl off the stairs and into the wall, which froze her animation cycles. Sadly, that video is long lost.

EDIT:
Thread 1 where I announced the glitch:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24871&p=575015#p575015

EDIT2:
Thread where I posted it!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27595&p=634509&hilit=glitch#p634509
Last edited by shengoro86 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby ReeceKun » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:08 pm

It seems to be taken from the japanese version , perhaps they removed people from visiting the top of the shrine in the english version
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:15 pm

ReeceKun wrote: It seems to be taken from the japanese version , perhaps they removed people from visiting the top of the shrine in the english version

Possibly. I did notice some small changes in the localized versions like this when hacking the AI cycles for my bike mod.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Japanese Shenmue gets shrine visitors

Postby ReeceKun » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Japanese Shenmue gets shrine visitors :)

Ive been doing quite a bit of 'Shenmue Stalking' and its quite apparent that a few daily path routines are different in the japanese version. In the English version Megumi spends a lot of time staring at Mimi-Neko in the evening when shes gone some other kids will come to look at the cat, in the Japanese version a boy went to the shrine but just drew on the ground (I havent seen that before other than the girl who draws on the ground in the park)
FYI: The 'Ghost' Girl works in the China Shop (Bunkado Antiques)

This guy appeard at 3:30, I couldnt recreate this bug possibly because the guy only stands at the shrine for a second, he bows and then turns around , but there is something about opening the diary that makes ryo temporarily collisionless (allowing this man to exit the shrine when i stood in his way and allowed the original person to shift past the girl) Fron the video it looks like the girl spends longer looking at the shrine which may help make this glitch happen

From my stalkings people follow the same routines each day, i personally hoped they had different weekend/holiday routines (But i dont expect the original developers thought people would pay as much attention as I have lol) I'm guessing that as Ryo progresses on his quest this also triggers NPCs to move differently , meaning that at some point in the game this girl will show up at 11am
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: {Solved} Japanese Shenmue gets Shrine Visitors

Postby ReeceKun » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:29 pm

I have never seen Ryos Bed 'made' .. although it looks like someone is hiding .. (Chai or Nozomi?)
This happens on disc 2 after you buy the boat ticket (perhaps I did miss this on the english version)

The japanese version has a 'Coke' machine but the Can designs are really basic

Whats Shenmue has the original coke can designs
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: {Solved} Japanese Version Shenmue gets Shrine Visitors

Postby ReeceKun » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:08 am

Shrine Visitor (Disc 2)

Im playing through Shenmue JAP version at super speed (no limit FPS) Ive seen the 'Ghost Girl' around town and she does have a very long 'inspecction' animation. IF anyone should be considered a 'Ghost Girl' It's Megumi , she stands at the shrine all day , and can be found walking around Sakuragauka and Doubita all at the same time. Hopefully this Girl will show up after I get fired from the Harbor and I can recreate this glitch
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:53 pm

"Ghost Girl"'s name is Ryoko, like in Tenchi Muyo.

Also, I've seen Yamagishi pay tribute to the shrine in the NA version. NPC's going to the shrine is rare though, for me at least. When does it usually happen?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ReeceKun » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Himuro wrote: When does it usually happen?

The time of day is onscreen, I'm still working at the docks to find out when the Girl visits the shrine
I am yet to learn if Everyones Daily path changes due to what 'Month/week' it is
(I originally assumed they only changed in relation to Ryo's Progress)

Disc3: Is entirely situated at the docks there is no chance for freeroam in the morning If this Girl visits at 11am it must be on disc 1 or 2 at another week/month

Fun Fact: I am planning to make a cave based on Tenchi Muyo Ryoko's shrine/cave
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:08 am

I'm positive I saw a NPC come to the shrine in the NA version too, but It's beyond super rare, I only seen it happen like twice out of all the times I have played it.

Makes me wonder if schedules are based on months/holidays, and whatnot as well, not just times during the day or maybe certain NPCs have daily routines that might have a random chance to change.

Edit: Oh yea, weather doesn't seem to matter as a variable, because one time it was raining, and another time it wasn't.

Note: I am not one to rush through, I take me sweet ass time with Shenmue, so people should keep this in mind, if they mean to spot a NPC at the Shrine, however I don't remember how long I have been playing, when the NPCs showed up at the Shrine.

I do remember however I use to wait in the general area late afternoon, because around dusk I would start looking for street thugs to fight at the end of that road by the intersection, so perhaps keeping a eye on the Shine in the afternoon is a good place to start.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:40 am

ReeceKun wrote: Shrine Visitor (Disc 2)

Im playing through Shenmue JAP version at super speed (no limit FPS) Ive seen the 'Ghost Girl' around town and she does have a very long 'inspecction' animation. IF anyone should be considered a 'Ghost Girl' It's Megumi , she stands at the shrine all day , and can be found walking around Sakuragauka and Doubita all at the same time. Hopefully this Girl will show up after I get fired from the Harbor and I can recreate this glitch

Liu-san definitely visits the shrine in the European version (and I'm assuming US version), but still, interesting about Ryoko appearing there!
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Japanese Version Shenmue gets Shrine Visitors

Postby ReeceKun » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:02 am

I played through the Japanese version and never saw Ryoko at the shrine, but I did see her in town with the very long 'inspection animation she does' Disc 3 doesnt give you the opportunity to visit the shrine in the morning and I tried skipping ahead into 'March' Date wise and I saw no change in peoples behaviour , so unless the original video is from 'US Shenmue' (The Japanese text with English Speech version) I have no idea at what point she shows up. The other 2 guys mentioned here only stop at the shrine for a second, the key to this glitch is to do with the length of the girls animation.

I dunno if its possible to character swap with Ryoko and user 'her' animation , ive never done it
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:14 am

Interesting observations!
Maybe they took out some of the more common occurrences because us westerners wouldn't understand and just be like "Why they standing in front of that thingamajig building?" With a beer and cheeseburger in hand.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:07 am

shengoro86 wrote: Interesting observations!
Maybe they took out some of the more common occurrences because us westerners wouldn't understand and just be like "Why they standing in front of that thingamajig building?" With a beer and cheeseburger in hand.

We all know the Japanese are a bit clueless when it comes to such things lol, but I find it hard to believe they think the western audience wouldn't know the purpose of a shrine(not to mention this is Yu we're talking about here).
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Zoltor wrote:
shengoro86 wrote: Interesting observations!

We all know the Japanese are a bit clueless when it comes to such things lol, but I find it hard to believe they think the western audience wouldn't know the purpose of a shrine(not to mention this is Yu we're talking about here).

Well with its rarity, maybe we just never noticed.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Next

Return to Community Projects