Shenmue 1 and 2 widescreen hacks Dreamcast

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue 1 and 2 widescreen hacks Dreamcast

Postby masterchan777 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:46 pm

johnvivant wrote: @Esppiral - is there anything you can do about the game (shenmue 2) crashing during the following cutscenes when using widescreen code on a dreamcast?:

- handing Zhoushan (guang martial arts school) the letter from the street performer - green side borders.
- 1st and 2nd meetings with scout at dragon street at night - game locks up.
- Ryo getting off the boat at Languishan - green side borders.
- shenmue tree reveal close-up on flowers - game locks up.

i'm also curious whether these glitches occur on an emulator - i don't emulate, so i can't check myself.

I can confirm that the game locks up on emulators at the mentioned places as well, and that causes the emulator to reset, but only when applying the original widescreen fix, as the new alternative/no clipping fix works fine. The green side borders glitch, however, doesn't happen on emulators when applying any of the fixes.

masterchan777 has received a thanks from: Esppiral
masterchan777
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby masterchan777 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:25 am

Here's a short clip to show that the original widescreen fix locks up the game (forcing the emulator to reset) while the alt/no clipping fix works fine.

phpBB [video]

masterchan777 has received a thanks from: Esppiral
masterchan777

Postby fittersau » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:58 am

masterchan777 wrote: I noticed this strange geometry side-effect with the new fix :

I blame invisible dolphins.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kuroioni » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Is there an updated code for the Japanese versions of Shenmue I and II that fix the issues like clipping with the original code yet?
Kuroioni
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Yakuza 4

Postby PILMAN » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:11 am

Shenmue 2 runs great with minimal popping or clipping but shenmue I i seem to run into the issue , has anyone been able to reduce clipping by chance with shenmue I in 1080p
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Upper Dave » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:26 am

Esppiral wrote: Sadly I haven't found the address /value to slow down the game logic, I did found it for other games like sonic adventure or toy commander but not for shenmue T_T

Can anyone think of a cutscene where the game goes slow motion? By comparing values in that, to regular cutscenes, it might be possible to find a 1/2 speed code, which would make 60fps possible.
Upper Dave
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Darth Moncalf
Steam: Mooncalfian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: DA: Inquisition

Postby Mr357 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Upper Dave wrote:
Esppiral wrote: Sadly I haven't found the address /value to slow down the game logic, I did found it for other games like sonic adventure or toy commander but not for shenmue T_T

Can anyone think of a cutscene where the game goes slow motion? By comparing values in that, to regular cutscenes, it might be possible to find a 1/2 speed code, which would make 60fps possible.

In Shenmue II, there's multiple occurrences where the framerate locks to 20 while the game speed remains at 60. One is when Ryo and Ren jump out of the Dancing Dragon building, another is when Wong cuts a deal with Ren before picking the lock on their handcuffs, and another is in the final cutscene of the game, immediately after the red beam shoots out of the Phoenix Mirror. There's other times when it shows up, such as when Ryo and Ren are stalking Yuan.

This may not be helpful, but it's an observation I made while recording Shenmue II: The Movie.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Upper Dave
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sappharad » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:19 pm

masterchan777 wrote: I noticed this strange geometry side-effect with the new fix :

The reason for this is that some transparency effects in the game are applied separately from the rest of the scene as part of the 2D layer over everything else. I'm pretty sure that snow in the first game is also applied the same way. This layer isn't modified by the widescreen codes as they usually don't manipulate 2D elements. What you see is identical to where the effect is on the screen when the widescreen code is not used either. Smoke and dust effects usually work the same way as well.

It wasn't as obvious with the original codes because they only crushed the screen horizontally, but with the cutscenes filling the full screen in Esppiral's latest patches it's easier to notice. Adjusting the 2D elements is generally more difficult than aspect ratio correction for the 3D stuff because there's not a perspective matrix to manipulate.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:20 pm

do these codes work on the discs 2/3/4 of S2? I'm using the new alternative widescreen no clipping codes on disc 1 and everything looks right in game, but I noticed the "press start" screen is oddly stretched vertically. However when I boot discs 2/3/4 it is normal. I don't have a game save handy to test the later discs in game...
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Sappharad » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:16 am

MaxTheRabbit wrote: do these codes work on the discs 2/3/4 of S2? I'm using the new alternative widescreen no clipping codes on disc 1 and everything looks right in game, but I noticed the "press start" screen is oddly stretched vertically. However when I boot discs 2/3/4 it is normal. I don't have a game save handy to test the later discs in game...

That is because on Disc 1, the title screen is technically "3D" and has the cool animated shading effect applied. But on Discs 2 through 4 it's just a standard 2D asset like the HUD, not affected by widescreen codes.
Nothing to worry about.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 am

awesome, thank you
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Previous