[Fangame] Shenmue: The Hazuki Legacy [In Progress]

(Modding and other series related projects)

[Fangame] Shenmue: The Hazuki Legacy [In Progress]

Postby Upper Dave » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:26 pm

The project started out as an idea to blend River City Ransom and Shenmue together. After a while though, the story got too serious to adequately portray in 8-bit graphics, so it evolved into this: a 2D adventure / RPG with QTE, and what I hope will eventually be a fitting homage to Shenmue.

To start with I'm releasing a short(ish) concept game before July of this year, which will act as a demo as well as being a self-contained story, and part of the overall story of the final game. This will be a glimpse into one of the two protagonists, 7th Fleet Officer Cathy Wilkins, as she struggles to uncover a conspiracy involving the Yakuza, the US Navy, and a powerful martial artist smuggling a mythical herb into the city. After the events of the demo she'll be joined by the second protagonist, Fukuhara, whose quest to attain martial arts mastery thrusts him into the same perilous situation as Cathy.

The demo will feature most of the following. The main game will feature the entire list:
  • A point & click style adventure system. Pointing and clicking optional (you can use a gamepad or keyboard instead).
  • QTE combat system.
  • Utilize the Shenmue journal by clicking clues and 'using' them on the environment or people, to investigate.
  • Day / Night cycle, and the passing of weeks.
  • Magic weather.
  • Fully voiced by fans of the series (text optional).
  • Collect toy capsules featuring games such as Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Sonic, and Skies of Arcadia.
  • Play Darts 777, QTE Champ, and possibly more at the arcade.
  • Explore parts of Yokosuka that you never saw in Shenmue 1.
  • As Fukuhara, quest to seek out and prove yourself to the four masters of Yokosuka.
  • As Fukuhara, you'll eventually be in charge of managing the dojo and helping a master to train students (including Goro).
  • Puzzles.
  • Meet old and new characters alike.
  • Featuring music from both games, unused tracks, and tracks from Shenmue Online.
  • To be released on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and HTML5. Eventually, possibly Dreamcast, too.
  • Free! Of course.

Upper Dave
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Darth Moncalf
Steam: Mooncalfian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: DA: Inquisition

Re: [Fangame] Shenmue: The Hazuki Legacy [In Progress]

Postby ShenSun » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:32 am

Great job. Can't wait to try it out.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for this :)
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Upper Dave » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 am

Thank me when it's finished haha.
Upper Dave
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:02 am

Upper Dave wrote:Thank me when it's finished haha.

Haha why is it that some things in life are just too hard to finish? I don't think I can ever finish any project or anything in life without external pressures/deadlines. I suffer from shenmue -syndrome, I dream big and my biggest obstacle becomes the ambition itself!

Are you working on this project alone? Hope you're got the support there. Hope for the best, man! :)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:05 pm

Are the backgrounds animated or static?

I'm thinking about releasing a pack of animated backgrounds for use in all fangames should the developers choose to use them. Its just worry about not being credited I spent a very long time on some of them.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Upper Dave » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:24 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:Are you working on this project alone? Hope you're got the support there. Hope for the best, man! :)

I'm not completely attached to the idea of working on it entirely alone. Mostly I think I could do with help with animating the 2D characters, or the scenery. But also, I wouldn't say no to some help with minigames or other included systems. Believe it or not this is all working as shown in RMMV in order to save time (which it really really has already), so programming knowledge wouldn't strictly be needed, even though I am custom coding a fair bit.
Upper Dave
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Upper Dave » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:25 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: Are the backgrounds animated or static?

I'm thinking about releasing a pack of animated backgrounds for use in all fangames should the developers choose to use them. Its just worry about not being credited I spent a very long time on some of them.

Right now they are static, but I want to add light sources, animated sections (such as fans and blinking lights), and weather effects.
Upper Dave
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Return to Community Projects