Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

(Modding and other series related projects)

If I were to make Shenmue II: The Movie, would English or Japanese dialogue be preferred? (Total votes: 24)

Poll ended at Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:56 pm

English (May have sync issues)
46%
Japanese (In-game subs would be used)
46%
No preference
8%

Re: Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

Postby Mr357 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:23 pm

yuujiro wrote: great video i always wanted to watch a full hd shenmue movie kudos man
can you upload on mediafire or somthing i d love to have it on my computer

Depending on the file size limit, I may do so (it's 28GB, and will probably still be well over 20 after I compress it).

Mr357 has received a thanks from: yuujiro
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby joka » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Just read about this on metro- hoped it would be someone from the dojo! :)

Great stuff- just watching the opening monologue gave me chills and got me emotional so not sure how I'm going to make it through almost 5 hours but I'll give it a go :D

Great work Mr357

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

joka has received a thanks from: Mr357
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Kiske » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:38 pm

You did an amazing job Mr357!

A fantastic gift to all Shenmue fans and the best introduction to this monument of videogames for the new comers.

=D>

Kiske has received a thanks from: Mr357
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Mr357 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:00 pm

Thank you everyone for the kind words! I've added a poll concerning which language to use in the event that I make Shenmue II: The Movie. If I could, I would be working on it now, but at the moment there's too many technical issues.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:06 pm

If newcomers have made it through five hours of the first video and are happy to start watching the second, they're probably going to be expecting English spoken dialog again.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby SMDzero » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:36 am

I like that the original game music is used.

Although I liked the alternate musical cue in Shenmue the movie when Lan Di asks Iwao about Sunming Zhao... the cue placed dramatic emphasis on the reveal.. the original music makes it seem more like an off the cuff accusation which isn't dwelt on too much; that's wasn't too big a problem however since the truth behind the killing wouldn't be investigated until Shenmue 3.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Giorgio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:53 am

It would be too tiresome to watch a many hours movie and reading subtitles, because that would need me to constantly keep my eyes glued on screen. Therefore, I voted for the English dialogue.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby johnvivant » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:59 pm

looks really good. i will watch the whole thing at some point. i appreciate all the effort you put into this, thanks.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Mr357
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sappharad » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Mr357 wrote:I'd love to, but there's way too many texture bugs present if I try to run it on the same version of Demul I used for this. Unfortunately, none of the newer versions (which fix most/all of the bugs) allow the changing of the internal resolution, so you end up with an aliased mess. Another potential problem is the dialogue sync issue seen in Sm1th's English speech mod, which I'd really like to use so that I can avoid subtitles. I'll have to do some more testing, but if there's too many unintended interruptions during the necessary conversations, I'll be force to either use the original European version or simply not make II.

In short, if the Demul guys release a new build, I may be able to start working on II.

You can still change the internal resolution in the current version of Demul. That feature is tied to the graphics plugin version, not the emulator itself. Demul ships with two plug-ins, the DirectX 11 one and the old DirectX 9 one. Switch the graphics plugin to gpu_old, or whatever it's called, and the internal resolution option will work.

Last I heard, there were no plans to add the internal resolution option to the new plug-in because it's trying to emulate display capture accurately. (Display capture is where a game reads the content of the rendered video to do certain effects. A game would only be expecting the raw 640x480 output if it did this. Honestly, he could probably downscale or render both, but it wouldn't be very efficient.)

As far as the voice timings, I believe that is a part of the PKS format that nobody has bothered to document yet. They just need to be ported back from the XBOX version.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: Mr357
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr357 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:46 pm

Sappharad wrote:You can still change the internal resolution in the current version of Demul. That feature is tied to the graphics plugin version, not the emulator itself. Demul ships with two plug-ins, the DirectX 11 one and the old DirectX 9 one. Switch the graphics plugin to gpu_old, or whatever it's called, and the internal resolution option will work.

Right, but that plug-in doesn't have the texture fix option, which is very necessary for Shenmue II (for me at least).
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Cant get over how great this is.

One of the best pieces of fanmade Shenmue work Mr357. Honestly, its so muchly appreciated for the effort thats been put in. =D> =D>

Peter has received a thanks from: Mr357
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ShenSun » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:59 pm

Im glad this is starting to gather media coverage. This is clearly a high quality piece of content and deserves all the praise that its received.

Congratulations Mr357, you've officially buried that disgrace of a movie that came with Shenmue 2 on xbox.

If you ever manage to make a shenmue 2 movie, you'll be my hero.

ShenSun has received 2 thanks from: Esppiral, Mr357
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sappharad » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:50 pm

What's the situation when it comes to subtitles on the video? Are you reviewing / accepting community subtitle submissions, or was someone working on the whole thing?

I've subtitled the first 20 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/timedtext_edito ... =1&exp=act

This was done in 5 minute chunks over the span of a few days any time I felt like adding more. I'm sure with more people we could do the entire thing in a few weeks or sooner. Any thoughts on that?

Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr357 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Sappharad wrote: What's the situation when it comes to subtitles on the video? Are you reviewing / accepting community subtitle submissions, or was someone working on the whole thing?

I've subtitled the first 20 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/timedtext_edito ... =1&exp=act

This was done in 5 minute chunks over the span of a few days any time I felt like adding more. I'm sure with more people we could do the entire thing in a few weeks or sooner. Any thoughts on that?

The only complication is that people adding subtitles can't see what's already been done (right?), and if I publish it before the subs are finished, they can't be edited. I'd started adding them myself a couple of weeks ago, but as you know it was a large undertaking, and there wasn't much demand. If we divided up the "workload" beforehand, I'd be willing to try subtitling the whole thing. Thank you for what you've done so far!

In other news, the 4:3 version was much easier to edit than I expected, so now I just need to get around to uploading it.

But what about Shenmue II?

I'm, "looking into it." :D
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sappharad » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Mr357 wrote: The only complication is that people adding subtitles can't see what's already been done (right?), and if I publish it before the subs are finished, they can't be edited. I'd started adding them myself a couple of weeks ago, but as you know it was a large undertaking, and there wasn't much demand. If we divided up the "workload" beforehand, I'd be willing to try subtitling the whole thing. Thank you for what you've done so far!

I don't really know entirely how the system works, because it's the first time I've tried to use it. However, the description that popped up for the "Submit" button asked me if they were done (a draft) or not, and it said if they were approved that other people could edit them as well.

I'm guessing there must be some way to incorporate changes from multiple people, the only potential problem would be overlap. I'd be willing to do another 30 mins to an hour, so if there is demand and/or interest (or if someone with more knowledge of the community subtitle system has feedback) please let me know if you want volunteers.

The nice part is they let you export the subtitles, so you could import them into the 4x3 version too once that is complete.

Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects