Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

(Modding and other series related projects)

If I were to make Shenmue II: The Movie, would English or Japanese dialogue be preferred? (Total votes: 24)

Poll ended at Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:56 pm

English (May have sync issues)
46%
Japanese (In-game subs would be used)
46%
No preference
8%

Re: SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT - Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

Postby Kuroioni » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:30 am

I can help make the thumbnails.

I've been thinking about making a Shenmue show, but just never got to do it. I would like to eventually though.

Kuroioni has received a thanks from: Mr357
Kuroioni
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 4

Postby Mr357 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:21 pm

Kuroioni wrote: I can help make the thumbnails.

I've been thinking about making a Shenmue show, but just never got to do it. I would like to eventually though.

Awesome! Unless I end up splitting the movie into episodes like FlagshipFighter suggested, I'll only need one. According to YouTube, the recommended size is 1280 x 720.

Also, due to the overwhelming result of the poll, I be will recording in true 16:9!
Last edited by Mr357 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kuroioni » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:29 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Kuroioni wrote: I can help make the thumbnails.

Awesome! Unless I end up splitting the movie into episodes like FlagshipFighter suggested, I'll only need one. According to YouTube, the recommended size is 1280 x 720.

Okay! You could always upload the movie in parts too. :)

An idea I can do if you do one video is to put all the main characters, with the logo in a background with the mirrors.

Kuroioni has received a thanks from: Mr357
Kuroioni

Currently playing: Yakuza 4

Postby IlDucci » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Jibby wrote: Here is a better version of the subtitle font file that was posted to 500k a while ago (it supports numbers and punctuation).
Can't remember who made it, but all credit goes to them:
https://mega.nz/#!XF01jJiQ

Guess I forgot to put it here...

As for the recordings, how they were done in the DVD Movie, 16:9 with custom camera?
IlDucci
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 pm

The Movie is in 4:3. When they made this back then they didn't modify the game much.
They didn't do much more then capture the cutscenes anyway. The did remove the QTE icons and sounds and there are a few in game scenes with modified camera and the HUD removed. But those are really few and far between
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby redline » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:20 pm

Mr357 wrote: I am pleased to present to you the trailer for my recently begun project-

Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

phpBB [video]

Thanks for watching and reading! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

i havent played shenmue 1/2 since 2007 (sold my dreamcast back then) but your remastered clip made me feel the way i did when i first played shenmue. just awesome =D>

redline has received a thanks from: Mr357
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sappharad » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:54 pm

Esppiral wrote: Since characters no longer clip aoutside the 4x3 area I would recomend using the autofixer for Shenmue I, for Shenmue 2 there is no such a problem, the game won't clip (the hack behaves differently/better on real hardware though)

On the plus side, if you capture everything in true 16x9 you can always create the other two options from that without re-capturing everything. The original content is still the center 4x3 area of the wider video, so you can crop the output later if you decide to produce in 4x3.

Sappharad has received 2 thanks from: Esppiral, masterchan777
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:32 pm

IlDucci wrote:
Jibby wrote: Here is a better version of the subtitle font file that was posted to 500k a while ago (it supports numbers and punctuation).
Can't remember who made it, but all credit goes to them:
https://mega.nz/#!XF01jJiQ

Guess I forgot to put it here...

As for the recordings, how they were done in the DVD Movie, 16:9 with custom camera?

You're the creator of the font? Good work! I'm sorry about mirroring it, I couldn't find the original link on 500k. I can take it down if you like?
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

Postby Mr357 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:15 pm

Update!

After weeks of struggling with various recording programs and settings, I finally found a combination that I'm happy with, and as of today I've finished disc 1. I expect the next two to take 2-3 weeks, so before April is over I should be into the editing part of the project.

A couple of weeks ago, I had an idea which I'd like to poll you guys again for. Once I'm finished with the whole thing, but before I put it on YouTube and etc, I'd like to have a live premiere and stream the movie all the way through. What I'd like to know is if anyone would actually watch it.

PM me if you have any ideas or concerns. I'll do another update once I'm finished with disc 2.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Kiske
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Esppiral » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:51 pm

I appreciate your work but I still noticed some awful ghosting on that gif, if you could just remove it it would look better.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Mr357 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:00 pm

Esppiral wrote: I appreciate your work but I still noticed some awful ghosting on that gif, if you could just remove it it would look better.

The gif is one I quickly threw together using the obsolete footage from the trailer. I just wanted something to keep the post from being text only.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:00 am

Update #2!

I've been finished with disc 2 for a couple of days now, so here's some belated info.

I've decided to dedicate the project to the late Reuben Kee and Rodger Swan, two very important people in the 14 year struggle to save Shenmue. For anyone not familiar, Reuben was a composer and pianist from Cambodia who wrote and played the best Shenmue related cover I've ever heard. The video he posted of himself performing it now has almost 93,000 views. He died in a boating accident in November of 2007.

Rodger was a young American man who lived and studied in Japan in the last few years of his life. He was a very active YouTuber, and created various series about his experiences in Japan such as Tokyo Swan, Iwate Swan, and Swan's Japanese Horror Reviews. One of his most popular videos, which now has over 58,000 views, is titled "Tokyo Swan 39: Real Life Shenmue." In the video, he takes a nostalgic trip through Yokosuka, which includes Dobuita and the US naval base. He died of acute pancreatitis in January of 2010.

I'm going to try to contact their families to make sure they're okay with me doing this, and hopefully get permission to use Reuben's cover for the movie's credits.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Update #3!

Yesterday I banished Chai to the depths of Yokosuka Bay, thus marking the end of project's recording workload. Unfortunately, I still can't give a solid estimate on date of completion or the final product's run time, but I don't think I'll finish before May. If I reach completion ahead of schedule, I'll likely make another trailer, this time with the real footage of course. As always if you have any ideas or recommendations, please let me know.

Mr357 has received 3 thanks from: DreamcastPast, Kiske, Nankeiro
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:32 pm

Final Update!

Fear not, for I have been hard at work for the past month and a half, and am finally finished! The official run time is 4:50:11 (4 hours, 50 minutes, 11 seconds), and the file is 28.4GB in size. As you can see in the image above, it took over 8 hours to render, even with my graphics card doing so. It's going to take an eternity to upload, but I should have it on YouTube by June 2nd in preparation for the 3rd of the month Tweetathon. I would greatly appreciate it if others would include a link to the video in their tweets that day.

I'll update the OP once I've finished uploading, but the video will remain private or unlisted until the 3rd. I plan on uploading a 4:3 version for people who don't like the 16:9 pop-ins, but I don't think I'll be done with that for at least a couple of weeks.

"So when's II coming out?" At the moment, I can't start on II because there's simply too many texture glitches. Hopefully, the next version of Demul will allow the increasing of the internal resolution like the build I used for this project. If that's the case, and it fixes most/all of the bugs, I will begin work on Shenmue II: The Movie, and the story will go on.

Thank you to everyone who directly or indirectly contributed!

Mr357 has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, Jibby, Let's Get Sweaty
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby brad86 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:08 am

Mr357 wrote: Update #2!

I've been finished with disc 2 for a couple of days now, so here's some belated info.

I've decided to dedicate the project to the late Reuben Kee and Rodger Swan, two very important people in the 14 year struggle to save Shenmue. For anyone not familiar, Reuben was a composer and pianist from Cambodia who wrote and played the best Shenmue related cover I've ever heard. The video he posted of himself performing it now has almost 93,000 views. He died in a boating accident in November of 2007.

Rodger was a young American man who lived and studied in Japan in the last few years of his life. He was a very active YouTuber, and created various series about his experiences in Japan such as Tokyo Swan, Iwate Swan, and Swan's Japanese Horror Reviews. One of his most popular videos, which now has over 58,000 views, is titled "Tokyo Swan 39: Real Life Shenmue." In the video, he takes a nostalgic trip through Yokosuka, which includes Dobuita and the US naval base. He died of acute pancreatitis in January of 2010.

I'm going to try to contact their families to make sure they're okay with me doing this, and hopefully get permission to use Reuben's cover for the movie's credits.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Rodger's video is fantastic and Reuben kee was an insanely talented young man. Such a shame they can't be here today to witness what we all are.

My introduction to Reuben was from this incredible, really incredible, take on Metal Gear Solid.
phpBB [video]

:cry:
brad86
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects